Wearing out an FHF Harness?

Gumbo

WKR
I have a 4-5 year-old FHF Harness that has had the elastic band that goes around the top of the harness stretch out. It is to the point that when I fold the lid over behind my binos they lean forward considerably and fall out far easier than they used to. Has anyone else had this happen? I am going to replace this harness, probably with another FHF because I really like the way the lid can fold behind the binos, but was wondering if others have had this issue.

rm06

WKR
I did notice mine got a little floppy over the years, maybe not to the extreme of what you're describing however. Are your binos extra heavy or too large for the pouch? I upgraded my glass this year and I went with an AGC Kodiak CUB which I much prefer over the FHF

GPATTI

WKR
I did notice mine got a little floppy over the years, maybe not to the extreme of what you're describing however. Are your binos extra heavy or too large for the pouch? I upgraded my glass this year and I went with an AGC Kodiak CUB which I much prefer over the FHF

PM sent. Just an offer to try out an Outdoor Vision Ridgetop bino harness. We are a Rokslide sponsor.

MattB

WKR
The OVR bino harness looks like a great design. I haven't found anything with the combination of features as my Kuiu harness, but this design seems to have addressed the one downside while maintaining most of the beneficial features.

I bought and quickly sold the AGC because I couldn't get the binos in and out quickly with one hand without making noise. My eyes are fairly close together so my binocs are "narrow and tall" and the opening didn't accommodate that.

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
PM sent. Just an offer to try out an Outdoor Vision Ridgetop bino harness. We are a Rokslide sponsor.

Awesome, thank you. I checked out your website and it looks like a great product, but it doesn't look like I can fold the lid behind the binos. The FHF lid design is what seals the deal for me. Paul at FHF offered to repair my small, but I ordered a new medium to see if a slightly deeper bucket works better.

Last edited:
OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR

Thanks for the recommendation. I have 10x42 ultravids, so they were on the edge of small vs medium so I went small. Again, these lasted for 5 years before the elastic stretched, which seems absolutely reasonable to me, especially considering I fold the lid behind my binos a high percentage of the time which places more weight on the elastic than when they are cinched in using the lid. I actually just ordered a medium FHF to try on for size. I checked out the AGC but I didn't like the lid design at all, the lid didn't seem to fold behind as well as the FHF.

rm06

WKR
Thanks for the recommendation. I have 10x42 ultravids, so they were on the edge of small vs medium so I went small. Again, these lasted for 5 years before the elastic stretched, which seems absolutely reasonable to me, especially considering I fold the lid behind my binos a high percentage of the time which places more weight on the elastic than when they are cinched in using the lid. I actually just ordered a medium FHF to try on for size. I checked out the AGC but I didn't like the lid design at all, the lid didn't seem to fold behind as well as the FHF.

No, they are a decidedly different design. I guess its all in how you use them. Interested to hear a report on the OVRs if you decide to try them out.

My bino hub came with the same strap system that had elastic strap on the top. I didn't like the bounce from the elastic top strap, so I had another strap system from another bino hub that had the web strap on top, and the stretch strap on the bottom. I put that one on the bino hub. I much prefer not to have the top strap stretch and bounce. The web strap holds it more securely (in my opinion anyway), and any "give" comes from the bottom elastic that goes under the arms.

idcuda

WKR
I've got four seasons on my FHF harness and no issues with the elastic or anything else. Still going strong and comfortable as ever.