experience with Leupold firedot

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
curious what folk's thoughts were with the firedot? I'm in the market for a new scope and this reticle setup looked like it might be pretty nice

thanks in advance

matthewmt

WKR
curious what folk's thoughts were with the firedot? I'm in the market for a new scope and this reticle setup looked like it might be pretty nice

thanks in advance
I know a few guys that have them. Can't remember what sz the dot is 1moa? Some on Mk ARs and others on newer Leupold optics.
We're you thinking mostly for hunting or just shooting? I guess the only thing is your cross hair is a bit bolder vs a standard duplex. I ran a mk4 2.5-8 this year it has illumination not that I really need it but showing a friend I realized the illumination knob got bumped along the way and the battery was dead.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
hunting- I was looking at the VX R 2-7x33; my thought was that the red dot would be handy in lower light and denser timber

might be my hunting style (or lack thereof! :D), but most of my elk encounters are 200 yards or less

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
a little more looking yields yes 1 moa dot at 7X and 2.5 moa at 2.5X

stevevan

WKR
I really like them. Your eyes tend to focus on that DOT making for me better shot placement. Only drawback is the illuminated dot isn't a sharp focused dot but a bit fuzzy. That's minor as it still works great.

matthewmt

WKR
Sounds like good choice for those scenarios. My mk4 has a 30mm main tube and big dials so it's hardly light weight which makes me want a lighter weight optic or one just as heavy but with more magnification. For all intents and purposes I can still dial out to distance or use mil holdovers which is all above my pay grade but would be fun to learn since my elk encounters during rifle season were far from 0-200

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the 2-7x33 (VX R) is 30mm as well; not really heavy at 12.5 oz, but not svelte either- the VX 2 of the same size is 9.5 oz (also half the cost)

I'll occasionally have elk out at distance (and will often spot them at very long distances), but the vast majority of my encounters are closer

matthewmt

WKR
the 2-7x33 (VX R) is 30mm as well; not really heavy at 12.5 oz, but not svelte either- the VX 2 of the same size is 9.5 oz (also half the cost)

I'll occasionally have elk out at distance (and will often spot them at very long distances), but the vast majority of my encounters are closer
What reticle are you thinking about?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking about the Ballistic Firedot- the one with the inner circle

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking about the Ballistic Firedot- the one with the inner circle

I've got the duplex firedot, and I really like it. Takes a bit to get used to - just like anything else you need to put in the range time. Mine is a VX6HD 3-18x44 in 30MM. Took a bull just under 496 yards this fall, and a buck moving at 150 yards. IMHO the moving buck was the harder of the two shots but the firedot really helped me focus on the target. Sounds like you are looking at an ultralight setup given the specs you note. I think for the range/weight combination you are looking at this would be a great package.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I keep burning thru batteries on my VX-6. I may break down and read the directions...

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm assuming if the batteries were to go dead, you'd still have a "normal" scope?

matthewmt

WKR
Thought the fire dot was button activated and shut off after no movement for a certain time period.
With any optic that requires batteries I try to keep them stocked. Same with weapon light batteries. Luckily optics like aimpoint only require a battery every few years. But no harm in having back ups.
Let us know what you decide and how you like it.

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the duplex firedot, and I really like it. Takes a bit to get used to - just like anything else you need to put in the range time. Mine is a VX6HD 3-18x44 in 30MM. Took a bull just under 496 yards this fall, and a buck moving at 150 yards. IMHO the moving buck was the harder of the two shots but the firedot really helped me focus on the target. Sounds like you are looking at an ultralight setup given the specs you note. I think for the range/weight combination you are looking at this would be a great package.

Ewaragnar, What was the site picture like with your 496 yard shot on the bull? How much of the bull was covered by the firedot? Thinking about putting the VX6 3-18x44 on a 7MM build that's underway.

Dobermann

WKR
Thought the fire dot was button activated and shut off after no movement for a certain time period.

It is.

And, like others above, I've found the FireDot works great in thick timber, low light, and for helping with 'aiming small'.

Myself and several friends all run the VX-R 2-7 Firedot on our 458 Socom's. Its been a great scope and I love the auto off feature! The dot is also great in foggy conditions where a scope can be a pain to see anyway

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
Not very much; it actually pulled my groups closer at the range because it’s so small.

That begin said, see my post on the MOAR reticle and the CDS issues thread. I pulled a NXS off this same rifle to cut pack weight. CDS apparently has issues... I haven’t personally had them.

I did read leupolds marketing literature for the new VX6, and they said they built “an even stronger erector” for this new scope. It may just be marketing but I don’t know. I do j is that even the new VX6 turret is not compatible with any other leupold CDS because of what leupold told me so maybe there is hope.

I don’t know where you are located, but I’m sure there are plenty of guys with these scopes that wouldn’t mind letting you check them out.

Hope this helps!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

one more tidbit I found from a couple different sources were on the glass; I was wondering if the glass was the same as the VX2 or something else? from Leupold- evidently a little better glass than the VX2, not quite VX3- VX2.5 if you will

I’ve had no issues with VX2 glass, so if it’s little better yet, all the better

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
well I didn't have a scope under the tree :D sooooo I scoured the internet and found a pretty good deal on a 2-7x33 firedot ballistic and have one coming!