Vortex Scopes

Deerjunky

FNG
I am looking to set up a new rifle and I am 90% sure I will be going with the Savage Arms 16 Weather Warrior in .308 and I am looking at Vortex scopes. Being from the east the longest shot I have ever taken on game is within 100 yards but I would like a scope that I could grow with as I hunt areas where longer shots are more common. Does anyone have any recommendations on if i should go with a scope with ballistic turrets or something without. I am very reluctant to purchase a scope that requires an engineering degree to operate so I am currently looking at something along the lines of the Razor HD LH. Also any tips on magnification?

I have the 2-10x40 with HSR-4 and the 3-15x42 with the G4 BDC reticle. I like them both alot....they replaced a Z5 Sheep Hunter and a Zeiss Conquest that I didn't like looking through as much. Currently I have the 2-10x40 on my .300 win mag and the 3-15x42 on my .270, but will probably switch as I am going to begin shooting out to 600 yards regularly with my 300.

I had the 2-10x40 on a Sako .308 Finnlight and it was a great match, but I sold the rifle to a friend. It's a good bit shorter than the 3-15x42 so is a great match for a short action.

The G4 BDC reticle is a little simpler than the HSR-4. Less hash marks, so if you are looking for simplicity you may want to go with that one.

G4 BDC http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/web_manual_reticle_G4-BDC.pdf

HSR-4 http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/web_manual_reticle_HSR-4.pdf

OP
D

Deerjunky

FNG
Doc, thanks for the recommendation do you have a preference between the G4 BDC and the HSR-4. I am leaning towards the G4 BDC but I want the maximum capability out of the scope, is this one of the preference things in your opinion? I plan on giving vortex a call when I'm ready to buy and hashing it out with one of their CS reps.

I do like the clean look of the 2 posts with the HSR, but there are 12 hash marks below zero which Im afraid might be too much for me when I am amped up, even with a card on the stock. I have shot some hogs and deer with it, but shots were inside of 100 yards, so it was aim and fire.

With the BDC, you have only 4 places below zero, which I am guessing I will be better able to deal with when it matters next summer on my sheep/caribou hunt. I haven't used it yet in a hunting situation, but I like it at the range.

The one potentially negative thing I would say about the BDC is the dot might be tougher to see (than the HSR cross) at first/last light, so if you are going to be deer hunting in the woods, I would recommend the HSR over the BDC.

You would be smart to talk to them directly as you suggest

The Razor is their top of the line and a great choice, perhaps over kill for closer shots?
The HSLR are super scopes for what you are describing you want. I have 3 of them.
Vortex scopes have shims to set the zero stop so you can quickly get back to your 0, (or close to at least) and then find the 0.

I have a PST version to which I like and has the illuminated reticle.
I have gotten rid of all my hold over scopes for a dial turret- just for me and how I hunt out West- it makes more sense.
Everyone has their own methods, but try one- I bet you will like them.
My HS-LR PST is good out to 600 yards so far on my browning xbolt 300 WM.
I have Leupold, night forces and vortex. For the $$ the vortex is a decent scope.