Nightforce MOAR reticle

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
So the CDS thread really got me considering other scopes. I am planning a new rifle purchase for the new year (my resolution). I was considering a Leupold vx5 or 6, but the other thread was an eye opener, so now I am looking at some other options. The rifle will be a 300 Win mag for elk hunting, and really don't see myself shooting out past 500. I was searching online for other scopes and came across the Nightforce SHV 3-10 x 42. Looks like a good option and a little below my budget and not terribly heavy. It has either the IHR optic or the MOAR. My other scopes have either regular cross hairs or BDC reticles, I have never used a Mil dot type scope.

Would the MOAR reticle be useful in hunting?
I know that I would be happy with the IHR reticle, but not sue how I feel about the MOAR, and not sure if I would be missing out by not getting it.

Any other scopes in the $1200 range that I should consider.

BTW, I do have 2 Leupold VX3i's on other rifles, a 6.8 SPC and a 257 Roberts, and do like them.

Fire_9

WKR
If you want to shoot at distance you will definitely see an advantage with the MOAR. I personally don't think it is too busy for a hunting reticle

I have the NXS with MOAR and it is perfect. The scope is easy to get lined up, even with all the data in the window.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Should get the job done well.
Inside 500 most of your holds will be on the center crosshair portion unless the wind is really howling.

R

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also shoot the MOAR and it is very good for hunting. I personally don't like to dial my wind hold, so having the subtensions to just hold an moa or two off is perfect for my needs.

OP
Scoony

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all, looks like the local Cabelas have them in stock so I can check them out. Looking at getting a Winchester Extreme Weather to mount this on.

Thanks all, looks like the local Cabelas have them in stock so I can check them out. Looking at getting a Winchester Extreme Weather to mount this on.

You will be impressed with the glass quality. I purchased one for my wife on top of her .243 Winchester and she loves it. You get great glass quality without the weight and more importantly, the price. The MOAR reticle is easy to use, just make sure that when you use it for wind holds, have your power set at maximum 10x.

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
The CDS thread was really interesting to me as well; I pulled a NXS with MOAR reticle off my lightweight setup and replaced with a VX6 last year. Frankly I made the change to reduce pack weight. Now I'm a bit worried -- sometimes I cut weight only to realize later that I'm cutting "good" weight. I really like my NXS. The MOAR reticle just seems to lock in on target. I've taken some solid shots at game and had zero issues. The rifle that it will go on is not going to be a backpacking gun, so I'm less concerned about weight.

Kotaman

WKR
The CDS thread was really interesting to me as well; I pulled a NXS with MOAR reticle off my lightweight setup and replaced with a VX6 last year. Frankly I made the change to reduce pack weight. Now I'm a bit worried -- sometimes I cut weight only to realize later that I'm cutting "good" weight. I really like my NXS. The MOAR reticle just seems to lock in on target. I've taken some solid shots at game and had zero issues. The rifle that it will go on is not going to be a backpacking gun, so I'm less concerned about weight.

Nightforce needs a 12x to 14x that weighs in at 20 oz. For the most part I have no problem with the 10x SHV and NXS at 20 oz. but for LONG shots I prefer just a little more magnification. 30 oz is just too much for a lightweight mountain set up IMO.

Nightforce needs a 12x to 14x that weighs in at 20 oz. For the most part I have no problem with the 10x SHV and NXS at 20 oz. but for LONG shots I prefer just a little more magnification. 30 oz is just too much for a lightweight mountain set up IMO.

I agree.
My nephew and hunt partner in AZ who is former Marine and now Sherriff swat sniper/ canine unit always tells me I need to lift more weights. That is a response to my jabs that is 6.5 sniper weighs way more than my 300 RUM with a 2 lb NF on top. My rifle is just under 10 lbs.
lol

Seems this nitch of the market (tactical/military) doesn't get too consumed with weight.
And NF being driven mostly by this nitch, might not see a need to produce it.
I wish they would put out a NXS™ 3-18×42 at 20 oz

Kotaman

WKR
I agree.
My nephew and hunt partner in AZ who is former Marine and now Sherriff swat sniper/ canine unit always tells me I need to lift more weights. That is a response to my jabs that is 6.5 sniper weighs way more than my 300 RUM with a 2 lb NF on top. My rifle is just under 10 lbs.
lol

Seems this nitch of the market (tactical/military) doesn't get too consumed with weight.
And NF being driven mostly by this nitch, might not see a need to produce it.
I wish they would put out a NXS™ 3-18×42 at 20 oz[/QUOTE)

I'd buy 4 of those right now! :cool:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Reliability and durability mean weight. If there were a way to make a light, but extremely durable scope they would.

I wish March would build a 4x zoom range scope and concentrate on a forgiving parallax in lieu of big mag range and build with the same quality glass and turrets. That would be perfect.