lightweight 8x’s

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking for a lightweight 8x30/32

I’m looking at the Maven B3 8x30’s- I can’t seem to find a disparaging word on them. Are there others I should be considering (well save $2000+ ones! :D)

Thanks

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I have had my Swaro 8x30 CL for 2 years now and I enjoy them alot. Great glass and they work great for Bowhunting. I also have Maven b2 11x45's now also that Im pretty fond of. I havent looked through the B3's yet.

ljalberta

WKR
Brand new updated version of the Swaro Cl companion is coming soon. From the initial reviews it's sounds fantastic. If $1000 isn't out the budget, I'd wait until the new year and have a look at those.

If you get to use the Swaros 8x32 SV, you might just forget about everything- I certainly did. Unbelievable. I don’t miss my Leica 10x42s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll peek at the Companion that's at the upper end of what I want to spend- I'm sure the SV (EL's) are nice, but just a little too nice for me :)

If you are on a budget, the sightron blue sky 8x is fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Brand new updated version of the Swaro Cl companion is coming soon. From the initial reviews it's sounds fantastic. If $1000 isn't out the budget, I'd wait until the new year and have a look at those.

Hot Damn you aint lying Blog -

The new CL Companion binoculars – the freedom to experience more -

SWAROVSKI OPTIK

Dang and I thought I was good to go at this point. Now I want the new ones. Any word on if they are HD or just swarobright like the current pair?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the new Companion looks very promising

thanks- the Kowa isn’t one I was aware of

The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Leica Trinovid HD 8x32, and Kowa Genesis 8x33 should be at the top of your list.

If you can go up to $1k and don't mind waiting for a good used pair then the Leica Ultravid, Duovid, and Zeiss Victory are all very attainable. Nikon EDG and Leupold Gold Rings are also good used buys.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks- I’ll add those to the list to look at (or through as the case may be :))

AGPank

WKR
Saw som CLs on archery talk for $700. Some EL (non-sv) too price was a little high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
almost a year later- has anyone had their hands on a CL companion?

Shraggs

WKR
Yes! And I’m working damn hard to find a way to buy them ASAP and sell my old. They are so good, really close to the EL. The original version wasn’t for me, this a whole new bino basically.

My current on the go/timber/archery bino is the swar 8x30 slc new (2010 production). Still an amazing piece of glass, but as my prescription has changed the 15mm eye relief is not enough. I have tried many in this class that can match or exceed the optical performance, give enough eye relief and be at or below 20 oz. the old cl wasn’t close optically... Meopta was but same eye relief issues, conquest heavy, Leica heavy and short eye relief. Of course el’s are great and at 21 oz, but the price for the niche I’m not ready to do. The only other that meets my needs is the Zeiss victory, nice glass (like my 8x42) and under 20 oz, but the price.

I feel my search is over, the new companion checks all the boxes for me. Resolution is on par with my slc. When I got past 400 yards the cl had a very slight resolution edge - equaling the el. They are slightly brighter than my slc and equal to my eye to the el. The fov improvement is marked very close to the slc, 396 vs 405. The el’s 430 I believe is noticeable in viewing. Cl is <$1200 vs $2200 ish for el or the victory is a no brainer. I don’t feel the that there is twice the performance. most importantly for me is an eye box the works for eye glasses and at 17 oz.

John