Binocular mount for tripods?

dtrkyman

WKR
Looks like outdoorsman is the ticket, is there any reaon to try the vortex uni dapter, field optics research or any other options?

Putting together a tripod system for binos for now with the option to use a spotter in the future with the same set.

There’s definitely a reason, that reason being to save money. The Outdoorsmans is definitely the best of the bunch but it’s $75 plus shipping. The FOR is the second best and it’s only $25 on amazon prime. My FOR fits nice and tight and I have zero slop, so it works just as well as an Outdoorsmans would. But others apparently weren’t so lucky and have gotten ones where they’re a little loose which can be annoying. If you have the money get the Outdoorsmans.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
I may do that, but the for has my interest, seems the vortex is the least liked. What all would I need from outdoorsman? Even there parts are spendy but I really don't mind as they seem to be of high quality. Buy once cry once!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've tried and used all all three. My take is uni is not as secured as the other two as it just sits on a post nothing locks them together. It works fine but something to be aware of and the post sticks down when wearing the binoculars but it never touched my chest. The field optics is great bang for your buck. It secures the binoculars and tripod together has nothing sticking down. It does have some side to side play but wasn't an issue viewing for me. Depending on your bino design and how close you have them together it can be a pain to push the release to separate from adaptor. When I upgrade to Swarovski I went with the outdoorsman to try it. It is easier to use and locks the side to side movements out better but it costs 3x more. I did a review on here somewhere with pictures.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a picture comparison. Not pictures is outdoorsman stud on my bino hinge
de53ff3e18ea4bde0108fa9afd36a15e.jpg
also wanted to add this feature of the field optics is it fits vortex heads without an adapter plate
8fba8372f65bc3b1911dbbe6c05ecbc1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like outdoorsman is the ticket, is there any reaon to try the vortex uni dapter, field optics research or any other options?

Putting together a tripod system for binos for now with the option to use a spotter in the future with the same set.

May I ask what optics you are running?

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
I have Steiner predators(older ones not the new cheapos) 10x42 and am looking at tripods still but like the promaster. I have no spotter as of now but have access to a decent Nikon. the fact that the for fits the vortex tripod is interesting to me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want the best it's the outdoorsman hands down. But the field optics is also nice especially for what it costs. You get to see how your style works with bino on a tripod for little up front cost. I'd personally use the difference in cost between the two for a quality tripod head where the difference is truly noticable of course that's just my opinion.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
Good point, I don't mind spending the money but ultimately it does the same thing.

dotman

WKR
Outdoorsmans is super solid which is nice, you don’t want any movement in your mount. I highly recommend it, the vortex unidapter is not solid.

Good point, I don't mind spending the money but ultimately it does the same thing.

Your glassing system is only as good as your weakest component in your kit.
I run outdoorsmans heads and acessories. They are pricey but are rock solid and their resale value is just stupid. There is a reason....they work.

Ronb

WKR
Free shipping on outdoorsman right now. I think through the end of the year. Plus use jayscott coupon code for 10% off. Outdoorsman is awesome. The others are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free shipping on outdoorsman right now. I think through the end of the year. Plus use jayscott coupon code for 10% off. Outdoorsman is awesome. The others are ok.

I tried this "jayscott" code and my spotting scope did not meet their requirements. Any idea what that code is for?

Piggybacking on this thread - what lightweight options are there for binos without a stud? I see the Swaro, Leica, BOGgear, and Leupold offerings, any thoughts or experiences with those or an alternative?