Which way to go?

quibton

FNG
Hey all,

A while back I was asking opinions on 15x56 binos and had them narrowed down to vortex vultures. Well I haven’t pulled the trigger on them, so I’ve been thinking about my future optic setup. I don’t trophy hunt, so no real need for a spotter.
I currently carry diamondback 10x42. I mule deer hunt in SD and plan to get into elk in the future. Would it pay to get 15s or get nicer glass and a tripod? Is a 12x a good compromise?

Thanks

Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
If the choice is higher magnification or quality glass............ that isn't a choice.

Quality glass will always be of the first order!

Fitzwho

WKR
I’m running Vultures currently when I’m running the 15’s. Otherwise just running Maven C1 10x42’s. I sold my spotter recently. Would carry it around, but just never found myself using it. Probably be getting a doubler to run with the Vultures and eventually getting the Kaibab or Maven 15’s.

I have seen a few guys running 12’s to save weight and only carry one set of binos. 12x50’s would be usable free hand and awesome on a tripod, so I can see where they are going with that.

OP
Q

quibton

FNG
If the choice is higher magnification or quality glass............ that isn't a choice.

Quality glass will always be of the first order!

Would going to a nicer glass in 12x be a wise choice if I wanted to stick with one optic or stay with a 10x?

AGPank

WKR
I think it depends on how/where you hunt. I’ve never hunted SD, but I think of big open country. I have Leica Ultravid HD 12x50 and they are usable off hand, but much better on a tripod. I grew up in western Colorado with lots of wide open sage, rolling hills, and would love these
Leica there, especially rifle hunting. A lot of my current hunting is on a small private spot it high timber. The 12s are great for looking off to see what’s moving around, but it doesn’t matter when I can’t hunt those areas. My 8x32s are much more practical for daily use there.

Maybe some used Maven 11x45 is the sweet spot for you. Don’t overlook low light performance and field of view. I started with a pair of Viper HD 10x50s. Good in low light, but tunnel vision of like 270’ FOV I didn’t like.

save up and get a better 10 or 12x and put them on a tripod. One set of good glass is far better than 2 cheap sets no question.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For everyday use you'd be best off upgrading to a higher quality 10x, IMO. There's many great 10x's under $1,000.00
Please feel free to give a call to discuss what would be best for your needs.

If you are convinced, for certain instances, you need something stronger than 10x I would suggest a higher quality 10x42 for everyday use and a back up, good quality 12x50. If you've been using a Diamondback 10x42 there's plenty of 12x50's on par and superior to the optical quality of the Diamondback that are using now that are not too costly.

Your everyday glass should be the best quality as it will see the majority of use.
Just my $.02

For big, open country, I use the EL 12x50’s. In practice, they won’t resolve any more handheld than 10x42’s, but on a tripod, oh Lordy. I make it rain during prime time. Handheld, I prefer the experience of 8x binoculars overall, because they are steady. Vortex Razor HD’s are a great optic to upgrade to in 10 and 12 power configurations, depending on your preference.

Note: Because of the high quality 12’s, I don’t use a spotting scope. I am a former 10x42 + 15x56 junkie.

PredatorX

WKR
For big, open country, I use the EL 12x50’s. In practice, they won’t resolve any more handheld than 10x42’s, but on a tripod, oh Lordy. I make it rain during prime time. Handheld, I prefer the experience of 8x binoculars overall, because they are steady. Vortex Razor HD’s are a great optic to upgrade to in 10 and 12 power configurations, depending on your preference.

Note: Because of the high quality 12’s, I don’t use a spotting scope. I am a former 10x42 + 15x56 junkie.

I was on the path to a 10x42 + 15X56. How far have you been able to reach out with the 12X50's? Looking to hunt badlands SD so just assumed i needed a 15X.

I was on the path to a 10x42 + 15X56. How far have you been able to reach out with the 12X50's? Looking to hunt badlands SD so just assumed i needed a 15X.

Good point on Badlands - not a lot of wiggle room.

We mostly hunt on country like the below, or slightly above in elevation, you have to control your grid, keep it below the horizon, or you pay the price.

View attachment 63688
View attachment 63689

There's a group of us that carried the 10/15 pair throughout Sonoran and Southwestern ranges for the past two decades. The 15's earned their keep perhaps more than any other binocular around these parts. Switching to the 12's was a risk, but I don't feel like I'm missing spots compared to my peers with 20-15 vision on the 15's; if anything, I started to edge them out a bit. We are competitive :)

elkguide

WKR
Would going to a nicer glass in 12x be a wise choice if I wanted to stick with one optic or stay with a 10x?

I hunt the thick woods of the East and the wide open spaces of the West and have been using 10X42 Swarovskis and have never felt under or over glassed. I do have a spotter that I sometimes, (about one day a year) carry out West if I am going into a totally wide open area where I might want to confirm something a mile away. Having a good pair of 10X42's has saved me a lot of walking to see for sure what was over there.

Ideally, go to a good sporting goods/optics store and look through every pair/brand you can and see what looks best to your eyes. My choice would be between Swarovski and Leica. Both incredible glass but from my experience, and that of others that I've worked and hunted with, Swaro has the better customer service.

OP
Q

quibton

FNG
Thanks so much everybody for the input. Decided to go with a better 10x42 and run a tripod. Like the idea of having one do all optic for the way I hunt. Talked with Doug from camera land ny and he answered a bunch of my questions. Good guy to deal with.

OP
Q

quibton

FNG
I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

what binos did you go with?

I went with Athlon Cronus 10x42. From what I read and what I was told, they are great glass for the cost and they fit my budget. Excited to try them!