Outdoormans binocular adapter

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
I've narrowed down my choice of bino tripod adapter's to the Outdoormans. They offer two choices, short and long. The long is on backorder. I can't see much difference in the two but with the long model being on backorder it has me wondering if it's the prefered choice. What do you guys use?

dotman

WKR
I prefer the long as it raises the binos up more and leaves more room between the head and binos.

twall13

WKR
I only have experience with the long. I bought it to add a little extra height as my tripod was marginal for standing use with binos. As I see it, the two reasons you might prefer the long are if you plan on using big binos (15x) and think you might need the extra clearance for the barrels or, as mentioned before, to raise the height of your tripod a bit. The shorter version weighs slightly less and probably works fine for how most guys use it.

I have both and prefer the tall. My short will work with my 15x Swaros but even with my 10x 42 slc I use the tall. I find the tall more user friendly, taller, and just as rock solid as the short. JMHO.

twall13

WKR
I think whether or not the short works with larger objective Binos is somewhat determined by your interpupillary distance. I have a narrow face so my Binos tend to be scrunched in more than some guys. Again, I've never used the short adapter but in using the tall I can see how this would make an impact for me with the short adapter and big glass.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

nrh6.7

WKR
twall13 nailed it. I have a narrower IPD and between that and 12x50 binos the Outdoorsmans recommended the tall adapter. Glad I got it over the short version.

twall13 nailed it. I have a narrower IPD and between that and 12x50 binos the Outdoorsmans recommended the tall adapter. Glad I got it over the short version.

Agreed.
The newest swarovski 15x56hd version is much more narrow IPD friendly. My older set I could not use with the front lens guards on. MY newest version no problem. THANK you swarovski!

Grumman

WKR
I called Outdoorsmans on Wednesday and they said they expect to have more of the tall versions in a couple days. So it shouldn’t be on backorder long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDB9818

WKR
I ordered a tall adapter at the beginning of the week when they were on back order. Just got an email yesterday saying it shipped so it looks like they might have some back in stock.

I went with the tall to use on a pair of 15X binoculars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Halfslam

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys thanks for the input! Seems the tall is the overwhelming favorite. Makes sense and appears to be a rock solid adapter. Good to see they are no longer on backorder so i'll get a tall and stud headed my way.

pirogue

WKR
I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL and I've bought and used both the Swarovski brand adapter, and the Outdoorsman brand. The Swarovski may appear flimsy for the price, but it is designed like it should be and that is pivot in the center of the binos. You also do not have to spread the binos (to fit on the adapter), and then readjust for pupillary distance, which I have to do for the Outdoorsman. The Outdoorsmans are strong, maybe faster to install, remove from the tripod, but the designer must have never set and glassed for Coues very long. Since the attachment pin is put into the hinge mechanism on the objective lens end of the binos, that becomes the pivot point. This creates a longer radius to the eyecup, which creates more head,neck, and body lean to scan the same depth of field compared to an adapter that pivots in the center of the binos(longer radius equals greater circumference).

PredatorX

WKR
With the swarovski adapter do you have any issues with grabbing the tripod and going? Or is it tight enough that they won't fall out of the mount?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

nrh6.7

WKR
I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL and I've bought and used both the Swarovski brand adapter, and the Outdoorsman brand. The Swarovski may appear flimsy for the price, but it is designed like it should be and that is pivot in the center of the binos. You also do not have to spread the binos (to fit on the adapter), and then readjust for pupillary distance, which I have to do for the Outdoorsman. The Outdoorsmans are strong, maybe faster to install, remove from the tripod, but the designer must have never set and glassed for Coues very long. Since the attachment pin is put into the hinge mechanism on the objective lens end of the binos, that becomes the pivot point. This creates a longer radius to the eyecup, which creates more head,neck, and body lean to scan the same depth of field compared to an adapter that pivots in the center of the binos(longer radius equals greater circumference).

If you look at the SLC Swaros you'll notice that is not the case. The EL's are that far out due to the design. Just make adjustments while glassing. Binos aren't that heavy.

pirogue

WKR
With the swarovski adapter do you have any issues with grabbing the tripod and going? Or is it tight enough that they won't fall out of the mount?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
They are a higher profile, so you want to make sure it is locked good, while moving.

pirogue

WKR
If you look at the SLC Swaros you'll notice that is not the case. The EL's are that far out due to the design. Just make adjustments while glassing. Binos aren't that heavy.

Weight of the binos are irrelevant. Subject of the post is binos attached to adapter, attached to tripod. Adjustments to move tripod in mountainous, rocky terrain, take time.

nrh6.7

WKR
You realize that this is a distance of around 1-1.50" correct? Not sure how you want the designer to make changes to the design, when Swarovski is the one that put the hinge there. Correct about the weight, I thought you were saying the off-center pin made them prone to tipping forward. Personally I think the design is fine...if it bothers you to glass with that system then it is obviously not for you.

Weight of the binos are irrelevant. Subject of the post is binos attached to adapter, attached to tripod. Adjustments to move tripod in mountainous, rocky terrain, take time.

Last edited: