New binos

I’m looking for a new pair of binos and have read a lot of great reviews on here but haven’t seen too much about a couple I’m looking at. I can’t drop the money on Swaro’s right now. I think I want 8x42’s unless someone can convince me why I would need 10x42’s. So, the options are:
Zeiss Conquest HD
Maven B1
Vortex Razor HD
I’ve read a bunch of reviews on the Razors so if anyone has any input on the other two, please let me know. Thanks!

dtrkyman

WKR
Can’t comment on those specifically but would go 10x personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
thedeerhunter9
The only reason I didn’t add the Leica Trinovids was a dealer told me they have the worst warranty of those mentioned. He said they are great optics though. Why the non-HDs over the HDs?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In the under $1,000.00 price category some excellent binoculars you have not mentioned would be
The GPO Passion HD's which would be superior to a Razor HD
The Athlon Cronus which would be on par with a Zeiss Conquest HD for much less $$$
The Meopta MeoPro is an outstanding optic as well.
If you can bump your budget slightly look at the Kowa Genesis which is pretty much as Alpha as you can get. Here is a review that was posted on another forum comparing the Kowa Genesis 8x33 vs Swarovski 8x32 EL Binoculars

Please feel free to give a call to discuss which would be best for your use.

On the 8x vs 10x decision.....
If you hunt out West or in open land then 10x, if you hunt the NorthEast or in wooded areas then 8x

Happy New Year

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
in the <$1000, I would also add Maven B1's to the list to look at and with a little searching and a little luck, you can still find Leupold Goldrings in 8 and 10X offerings

both offer outstanding unconditional lifetime warranties

I'd agree with Doug- if opener country is where you're headed, at least consider 10's and also a tripod

Trial153

WKR
Conquests, excellent glass in that price range. Owned razors also and didn’t care for them. Haven’t had any real time with the mavens others the handling a pair, the ergonomics didn’t trill me but they get great reviews.

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
Out of the options you gave is go with the Conquest. I’d also look at BX-3 HD and BX-4 HD.

OP
thedeerhunter9
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I’m thinking that the Razors are at the bottom of the list now from what I’ve been hearing. I’m gonna try to go somewhere to look through all the options if possible as well.

elkguide

WKR
Of those that you listed, I'd go with the Mavens but if it were me I would really just go and buy a pair of $79 specials and save my money for a good pair of binos.

As to 8 vs 10 question, with good glass, definitely go with 10's.
Less quality glass, it would depend on whether you were in the woods or glassing open fields.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
You original list is pretty solid and some other good suggestions in here. I would also suggest, unless you need them right this minute, is to keep an eye out for used pair of Swarovski. This is the time of year people are selling equipment as the want to get the latest and greatest offering. Waiting may also allow you to save a little more and increase your budget.

I would also want to know what you are using them for as others have mentioned the 8 vs 10 debate. Are thes to be used to glass at distances of 800 plus or closer in stuff of 500? Do you plan on using them to just find game and then a spotter to size them up? Or using them to determine if the located game is worth hunting? With the money you are talking, these factors should be considered as they play a role in what you would benefit from. The old saying, but once cry once, I think applies to optics as much as anything.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I recently just went with Zeiss conquests over the options you gave, just personally liked them the best. I really like the Mavens B2 9x45 but their weight and actual size of the binoculars turned me away. The Razors i just didn't see that well out of.

OP
thedeerhunter9
Another question to go along with this. Will it make a difference if I wear eye glasses or not?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought some 10x42 Razor HDs a couple of months ago, but I had not had the opportunity to really see what they could do at long distances until this past weekend…

We did some training hiking stairwells in the city, stopping on top of parking garages/buildings to glass. I was able to clearly see the details of a power plant and smoke plumes over 12 miles away, as well as adjust to focus on many other subjects of all sizes between me and that plant. Buildings, people, signs, water….. I was able to see individual whitecaps and texture of the wind on the water that was over 6 miles away. After glassing, my eyes were not tired or aching.

I am happy with my purchase…..

Firehawk

WKR
I looked through the Conquests, Razors and Maven B2 and B1 when I was searching a couple of years ago. I went with the B2 very happily. They are terrific. As they are 9x or 11x, I went with the 9x45. Very pleased with my decision. Not a single time have I thought, "I wish I would've picked.....(insert here)...."

I liked the size of the B1, but thought that the optics on the B2 were better. I have seen several on this site's classifieds for $850-$950 over the past few months, so with a little patience and diligent searching, you can find them in that range. Fully transferable warranty and great optics.

I have been intrigued by the GPO offerings that Doug at Cameraland NY mentions too. Haven't had a chance to look through them yet, but they sound great.

FH

WRO

WKR
I'd look hard at the cabelas Euro's/Meopta Meostar as its superior to all of the ones you have listed optically.

I'd also consider looking at used alpha (swarovski, leica ultravid, Zeiss Victory HT)

I compared the Razor HD and Conquest HD a few times among others when I was shopping a few years ago. I ended up with the Meopta Meopro HD! I agree with Doug, they are outstanding. I have never seen the Maven. So on your list I thought the Conquest was the better optic. They are pretty close, but the Conquest was a little sharper. I am an 8x guy, I like the wider field of view and the "brighter" image. I also wear glasses. Everyone that I hunt with uses 10's and there has never been a time they could see something that I couldn't. I am from MT, hunt the timber and the plains and have no plans to go to 10's.

OP
thedeerhunter9
Well, I ordered a pair of Maven B1’s in a 10x42 and they quite awesome. These are my first pair of quality binos and they are definitely an upgrade from my old Nikons I got at Walmart a long time ago.