Swarovski STX vs STS Review, By Tony Trietch

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
I have started shopping for a new or new used STX 95mm. Does anybody know if Swarovski has changed any of the glass coatings or anything else with the STX/ATX since they came out back in 2012. Just asking because I see some around different sites and most are in that 2013-2015 model year, and to spend the kind of money these are selling for I don't want to miss out on a upgrade if there has been one. Thanks Randy

MtnMuley

WKR
Good review. Has anybody played with the 1.7 extender much on the STX 95? Ready to pull ther trigger on the extender, but would like some good vibes first.

JP100

WKR
Happy to help, Thank you for reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this Tony, I am just about to get a 95mm and I am a little excited!!!

One question I have is how did you get on tripod wise for the big scope?
The photos show quite a small tripod. What do you use?

I am worried that the 95mm may be 'top heavy' on smaller tripods and trying to think what the best road will be.
Obviously a bigger tripod adds more weight to a big scope, but if its trying to tip over all the time thats not good, and its pointless unless its stable.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Thanks for this Tony, I am just about to get a 95mm and I am a little excited!!!

One question I have is how did you get on tripod wise for the big scope?
The photos show quite a small tripod. What do you use?

I am worried that the 95mm may be 'top heavy' on smaller tripods and trying to think what the best road will be.
Obviously a bigger tripod adds more weight to a big scope, but if its trying to tip over all the time thats not good, and its pointless unless its stable.

Thanks, glad the review helped. I used two different tripod and head combos this past fall. For the non-backpack hunts, I had a Manfrotto combination that would be beefy enough for any scope. (not sure of the model off hand)
For the back pack hunts I used a Slik 624 and Micro head from The Outdoorsmans. They did ok with the 95 on top but I ended up picking up an Outdoorsmans Pan head to use with the 95. The Micro worked better for me with the 65 and binos. You had to really pay attention when adjusting the vertical or the 95 would tip.
I will say the STX 95 balances better on the light weight head better than the STS 80. The 80 is front heavy.

JP100

WKR
Thanks, glad the review helped. I used two different tripod and head combos this past fall. For the non-backpack hunts, I had a Manfrotto combination that would be beefy enough for any scope. (not sure of the model off hand)
For the back pack hunts I used a Slik 624 and Micro head from The Outdoorsmans. They did ok with the 95 on top but I ended up picking up an Outdoorsmans Pan head to use with the 95. The Micro worked better for me with the 65 and binos. You had to really pay attention when adjusting the vertical or the 95 would tip.
I will say the STX 95 balances better on the light weight head better than the STS 80. The 80 is front heavy.

Thanks for that info Tony.
Interesting about the 80 being more front heavy, hard imagine the 95 not being more front heavy.

Have you used the Slik 500 legs? I am thinking these with a little pan head would be my best bet, a bit bulkier and heavier, but should be nice and solid. Have used one off the Swaro labeled tripod and it was very stable and smooth, I found the operation of it a little strange and the price on them is just ridiculous.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
c7a08ae11258dcdede92438f4bdcfdad.jpg

Took the 95 for a few hikes that past couple weeks. Still haven’t gotten tired of gazing through her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good review. If I get lucky and snag a decent tag somewhere this year I will be getting an ATX and BTX. Probably get them anyway even if I don't get any good tags.

I have always liked angled scopes better. A couple years ago I started using my tripod for my binos also. Its kind of irritating swapping between the angled spotter and binos since I have to constantly adjust the height of the tripod when swapping. Even so I will still get the angled. It just works better for me.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Good review. If I get lucky and snag a decent tag somewhere this year I will be getting an ATX and BTX. Probably get them anyway even if I don't get any good tags.

I have always liked angled scopes better. A couple years ago I started using my tripod for my binos also. Its kind of irritating swapping between the angled spotter and binos since I have to constantly adjust the height of the tripod when swapping. Even so I will still get the angled. It just works better for me.

One of the many reasons I prefer the straight spotter. Lucky for us and everyone else, they make straight and angled.

If you do get the BTX and like it then you will have to deal with the same annoying part of having to raise/lower the tripod to swap back and forth. Wonder if swaro will come out with a straight version of the BTX?