Swarovski STX vs STS Review, By Tony Trietch

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Pic-5-1.jpg-1.jpg

Since it's new years eve, I think it's a great day to look at new vs old. Tony Trietch does a great job of comparing his "old" Swarovski STS spotting scope to the "new" Swarovski STX system as he used both throughout his 2017 season. Give this great article a read to see which spotter might be the right choice for you.

Swarovski STS vs STX Review

Last edited by a moderator:
Good review. Sign me up for Swarovski’s loyalty punch card program. Buy 5 STX components, get the 6th one free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Bought an STS 65 last year, love it. Now you post this. You're contributing to financial delinquency, no better than drug pushers!! The STS was the dime bag to get me hooked, the STX will be full on addiction.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Great review! I should have not read this! Lol
You. Are. Welcome.

Good review. Sign me up for Swarovski’s loyalty punch card program. Buy 5 STX components, get the 6th one free.
Sign me up for that!

Bought an STS 65 last year, love it. Now you post this. You're contributing to financial delinquency, no better than drug pushers!! The STS was the dime bag to get me hooked, the STX will be full on addiction.

I know how you feel, I am eyeballing the BTX eye piece now...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You see, this is why I love chasing bugling bulls. I don't need the spotter, bino's, or even my eyes for the most part.......it's all by sound, until it's time to shoot.;) Saves me a bunch of money. Well, not really........just saves me a bunch of weight in my pack. Nice review, Tony. I don't dare try one. Of course if I did, it would be the ATX.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
You see, this is why I love chasing bugling bulls. I don't need the spotter, bino's, or even my eyes for the most part.......it's all by sound, until it's time to shoot.;) Saves me a bunch of money. Well, not really........just saves me a bunch of weight in my pack. Nice review, Tony. I don't dare try one. Of course if I did, it would be the ATX.

Thanks Mike, glad you liked it. I enjoy that aspect of elk hunting as well, at least until I can't find them in the timber and I grab the spotter and hike to a peak...

deadwolf

WKR
Recently picked up an ATX 65mm. Quite excited to get it out and use it this upcoming year. Have a 1.7me on the way and plan to add the 95 objective as finances allow. As is, this is going to be great for chasing sheep and mule deer : )

ElkNut1

WKR
Tony, just read your review, very well done sir, thanks a bunch for your time & write up!

ElkNut/Paul

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excellent review Tony. I didn't really want an atx until I read this. That 95mm is really incredible. I just compared about 10 different spotters the other day and the 95 is a class above.

Live2hunt custom shelters

Last edited:

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tony, can you explain why you prefer straight scopes? I am struggling with this choice now...STX or ATX.

Good question!
I struggled to decide when buying my first scope because I didn’t know what I’d like.
For me it comes down to target acquisition. I scan and glass with my binos off the tripod and switch to the straight scope without shortening the post height. Also when free handing binos and spot something I want to get a better look at with the scope, it’s easier for me to get the straight on target than the angled.
100% personal choices and whatever you like, you’re right.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Recently picked up an ATX 65mm. Quite excited to get it out and use it this upcoming year. Have a 1.7me on the way and plan to add the 95 objective as finances allow. As is, this is going to be great for chasing sheep and mule deer : )

The 1.7 has intrigued me, I’ll be checking it out soon hopefully.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Quick question, Tony......have you ever compared the Meopta S2 spotter, either to the STS or the STX? I used to have the 65mm HD STS and I much prefer my angled S2 to it now, but have never seen a review against the STX/ATX. And yes, it took owning a straight scope for me to figure out I like angled better.:)

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have never had an opportunity to compare them.

Quick question, Tony......have you ever compared the Meopta S2 spotter, either to the STS or the STX? I used to have the 65mm HD STS and I much prefer my angled S2 to it now, but have never seen a review against the STX/ATX. And yes, it took owning a straight scope for me to figure out I like angled better.:)

WRO

WKR
We ran a similar test a few years back and had the exact same results.

We did an STX85 vs STS80 and by day 3 the STS was locked in its case in the truck. It's just that much better IMHO.