Kowa 553 neoprene case?

dotman

WKR
Has anyone tried or fitted a Vortex Razor 50mm case on to the Kowa 55mm? I would think there would be enough stretch to get one on and maybe slight trimming for the focus knob.

Really wish Kite Skua would make one.

nrh6.7

WKR
This doesn't help you a bit, but I talked to Kowa today asking questions about the 554 and asked about a neoprene case, hopefully in the works. He said nothing on the table and don't hold my breath. Just in case anyone was holding out for one straight from Kowa.

Sub'd

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I ordered the vortex fitted case, I’ll update the post once it comes in.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I’ll get pictures up shortly but if you have a Kowa 553 I recommend ordering the Vortex fitted neoprene case, fits very well. I’m sure the 554 would do well in the straight case as well.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
ElXHvxn.jpg

skFuIN8.jpg

77YAKoE.jpg

hEnoSQJ.jpg

I’ll get pictures up shortly but if you have a Kowa 553 I recommend ordering the Vortex fitted neoprene case, fits very well. I’m sure the 554 would do well in the straight case as well.

Any chance you could weigh it and let us know how much the Vortex neoprene case weighs?

I just got this one delivered today. It's a lens case, made for big telephoto lenses. Fits my (straight style) 554 quite well.

Amazon.com: JJC DLP-II (DLP-7II): Electronics

Weight is 6.3 ounces (without the shoulder strap.)

I looks like it would provide better protection than the Vortex, but the Vortex can stay on while the scope is in use.

Unless the Vortex is significantly lighter, I think I will go with the lens case.

Last edited:
OP
D

dotman

WKR
I never did weigh it but it isn’t much probably less then 6oz.

Ronb

WKR
The scopecoat for my Swarovski ATS 65 weighs 4.4 ounces. It’s the exact same cover, but obviously just a little larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Without removing it or the qr plate the entire current weight with lens covers and case is 33.8oz, so probably 3oz or less when you consider the qr plate might be an oz and weight of the spotter with lens covers is 29oz.

Last edited:

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
S&S archery just put up a pic of a Kowa case on their facebook page . Perhaps that's what you are looking for ???

cheers

OP
D

dotman

WKR
S&S archery just put up a pic of a Kowa case on their facebook page . Perhaps that's what you are looking for ???

cheers

That is a cordura case, I’m sure it’s heavier and it is definitely ugly.

The price on the vortex case isn’t bad either, got mine used for $30, it retails for $50 but I’m sure one can get it cheaper new.

Last edited:
OP
D

dotman

WKR
On every spotter I’ve had I’ve disliked the objective and eyepiece covers, the Kowa’s covers don’t seem to be much better. Think I might see if the Vortex Deffender 56mm cover will work for the objective, shouldn’t add much weight and will be a flip up that I can’t lose. Will leave the eyepiece cover as is for digiscoping.

twall13

WKR
On every spotter I’ve had I’ve disliked the objective and eyepiece covers, the Kowa’s covers don’t seem to be much better. Think I might see if the Vortex Deffender 56mm cover will work for the objective, shouldn’t add much weight and will be a flip up that I can’t lose. Will leave the eyepiece cover as is for digiscoping.
Let us know how that works out, sounds like a good idea to me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk