Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD 15x56?

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
I know there was a thread discussing these earlier this summer and it seemed like there wasn’t much info or experience available for them. I am researching/comparing 15’s with the intent to buy a pair in the near future. Was curious if anyone has gained experience with the Leupolds, or had a chance to look through them, or could point me in the direction of a good review of them? Thanks!

WRO

WKR
I know there was a thread discussing these earlier this summer and it seemed like there wasn’t much info or experience available for them. I am researching/comparing 15’s with the intent to buy a pair in the near future. Was curious if anyone has gained experience with the Leupolds, or had a chance to look through them, or could point me in the direction of a good review of them? Thanks!
You can do better. I spent 10 minutes with them and a set of meostars, not impressed. One of the guys I work with did a side by side with a set of 15x56 Neu swaros, he wasn't impressed either.

For 300.00 more you can get a set of meopta 15's which blow the doors off them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
K

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys, seems like there are more people less than impressed than there are that like them. Ron Spomer could definitely benefit from a tripod. I'll have to look into the Meopta's a little more, don't know much about them.

Growing up, at least in the context of where I grew up in Idaho, Leupold produced pretty much the best/most sought after rifle scope for the time. Have always thought highly of them, but seems like they don't get the greatest reviews these days.

OP
K

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for that link Matt! Have you had an opportunity since that review to compare them with the Swarovski HD's?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that link Matt! Have you had an opportunity since that review to compare them with the Swarovski HD's?

Not side by side. They are certainly comparable binoculars. Swarovski improved the CA control in the new SLC model for sure.

WRO

WKR
Thanks for the info guys, seems like there are more people less than impressed than there are that like them. Ron Spomer could definitely benefit from a tripod. I'll have to look into the Meopta's a little more, don't know much about them.

Growing up, at least in the context of where I grew up in Idaho, Leupold produced pretty much the best/most sought after rifle scope for the time. Have always thought highly of them, but seems like they don't get the greatest reviews these days.

IMHO the 2 issues leupold has are:

1. They don't make the gold ring binos anymore. These were a pretty good set of glass for the money, definately Better than anything they currently import as far as bino's go. (to my knowledge, they are strictly on the OEM model for binos now)

2. As far as scopes go, IMHO they are a great set it and forget it scope. With the new push for long range and dialing turrets, Leupold hasn't caught up. So you have guys trying to make a scope do something it's not designed to do then having it fail.

I'm no matt cashell but I have compared the Swaro HDs next to my Meoptas; side by side on tripods at last light. As far as actual resolution I didn't notice a difference if you were looking in the center portion of the view. The swaros no doubt were better around the edges, and seemed to be just a gnat's ass brighter at last light. I've looked through just about every 15x there is and the Swaro HD is the only glass i'd put above the meopta.

P.S. would somebody please get ron spomer a freaking tripod.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
How can you do a serious effectiveness review of a 15x without a tripod? Crazy. Anyway, I'd be looking for a Euro HD or Meostar 15 in the classifieds.

OP
K

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again for the info. I'll see if I can find a set of Meopta's to look through somewhere here in East Idaho. Hard to find a dealer that carries them or the Leupolds. Swarovski's and Vortex are everywhere.

OP
K

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up a used pair of the Meopta Meostars for $1000. Seemed like a pretty good deal to give them a try.

SpookySpectre308

Lil-Rokslider
I know this has been long dead but I see the Santiams can be had for 799. Can I touch any other glass for that kind of money? That price seems fair enough. A little out of my budget but the discount seems ok?

Tmac

WKR
There are some good Minox 15x56’s floating around. Believe they have been discontinued by Minox. When I looked for a good pair under 750, they are what I got 5 years ago. Only looked through the Leupold 15x once, they were good, but did not have the Minox there to compare. Neither one will match the Meopta/Swaro 15x glass, one of which will likely be what I up grade to later this year or next.

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
I took the plunge and ordered a set on the europtic sale. Going to try them out for mule deer and pronghorn this fall.

millsms

FNG
I have older swaro el 10x42 and meopta meostar 15x56 and ordered the BX-5 15x56 for my father as well as the 12x50 Bx-5. the europtic price is a good deal. the 15x56 meostart vs bx-5 were very comparable. I don't love the Bx-5 eyepieces but it didn't seem to bother my father. As far as clarity midday then at dusk I really couldn't tell a difference in resolution or light gathering. They did a good job with their coatings and helped using abbe Koenig prism vs Schmidt pecan. everyone has to decide if extra cost is worth it but for $799 you'll be hard to beat that price for performance.

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
everyone has to decide if extra cost is worth it but for $799 you'll be hard to beat that price for performance.

That‘s where I ended up at. I’d spend at least another $1k to get Swarovski SLCs.

I have older swaro el 10x42 and meopta meostar 15x56 and ordered the BX-5 15x56 for my father as well as the 12x50 Bx-5. the europtic price is a good deal. the 15x56 meostart vs bx-5 were very comparable. I don't love the Bx-5 eyepieces but it didn't seem to bother my father. As far as clarity midday then at dusk I really couldn't tell a difference in resolution or light gathering. They did a good job with their coatings and helped using abbe Koenig prism vs Schmidt pecan. everyone has to decide if extra cost is worth it but for $799 you'll be hard to beat that price for performance.

@millsms how were the BX-5 12x50s? I can get those for $780 and want to know if that worth it or just save up for a pair of swaro 10x42 slc I can find them new for $1400 - 1500. Or $1200 used.

millsms

FNG
@millsms how were the BX-5 12x50s? I can get those for $780 and want to know if that worth it or just save up for a pair of swaro 10x42 slc I can find them new for $1400 - 1500. Or $1200 used.
there great for the money. i have the older 10x42 EL non swaro vision and they are close to those. the eyecups weren't my favorite but my brother and dad loved them and are super happy with them. used them alot this spring spotting bear. i love swaros and can look through them for hours without issue.