bino help

Cdpp880

WKR
work is getting me a new pair of binos and was wanting some help.
they have to be under $300 and academy, bass pro or Cabela's must carry them.
I am thinking the vortex diamondbacks 10x42, vanguard, or Nikons.
what do you think? should I look at some of the Cabela's brands or any others?
Thanks

Throw in a little more out of pocket and upgrade
:)

I used the old Nomad spotter ( equivalent glass to diamondback I believe), and it was OK.
Not great, but did the job for years. It is the lowest grade they sell, as you probably know.

Seriously pitch in and upgrade to at least Viper Glass.

Of the ones that you listed, I would go with the Diamondbacks. But as stated by mfllood3800, you would be better off saving a little more, waiting for a sale or finding a good used pair of viper HDs or even a set of Leupold BX-3/BX-4. Either way, good luck with your search!

AGPank

WKR
Who owns them after the purchase? If it’s your companies asset, I don’t think you will go extra out of pocket.

Are they for your personal use or just work? What is the work use?

Which Nikons are you looking at?

In that price range you will find similar performance if not the same glass out of the same factory and just rebranded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muttman

Lil-Rokslider
Vanguard endeavor ED to bino’s are well worth the $$$$ great reviews, lifetime warranty.
My son owns a pair & I like them better than vipers,

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair of leupold mojave pro guide hd 8x42's on closeout from cabelas for $280 a few months ago. They are not bad for the price

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
Can’t pitch in any money or I would it’s a hard $300 cap. If one was on sale that would work they don’t care as long as it’s under 300. I have a personal pair of Nikon monarchs that are 15 years old and have been happy with them and know that most everything now days has better glass.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I think you can actually get a decent pair for your price -- far better than 15 year old monarchs (which I have some similar experience with!). I'd also suggest going with an 8x42 vs 10x42. In that general price range of glass I notice the 8x are a bit more clear, have a wider field of view, and you can often see more detail than a 10x. I put a lot of effort into upgrading my glass a few years back when my hunting backpack (with binos) was stolen. I tried out just about everything I could get my hands on, and was blown away with how just about everything I looked through was far better than my old Monarch 10x42s. Optically I was actually most impressed with Bushnell for the $200-$300 range, but their warranty and customer service made me keep looking. I spent the extra money and got a pair of Monarch 7 8x42s that were truly great. Since then I upgraded again and got into some Meoptas... but they are quite a bit more.

I looked at Academy, Cabela's and Bass Pro. Academy doesn't have much of a selection, so I think I'd go to Cabela's or Bass Pro (which are essentially the same company) and get the Monarch 5 8x42, ($299.99 so tax might push you over $300). I honestly haven't tried the Vanguard Endeavor EDs, but it sounds like they are a good option that is also sold there ($299.99), and if those don't work for your price (...darn taxes!) then I'd just go with the Vortex Diamondbacks ($219.99). If you can look at them in person you might try out the Bushnell Legend L Series ($279.99) and see if you like them better than the Diamondbacks. And ultimately, if you are hard on your stuff then just forget everything I just said and go directly to Vortex and get a pair of Diamondback 8x42s because that warranty is pretty much unmatched.

Did someone just suggest 8's?!! I am a big fan of 8x's! I know I'm in the minority, but include them in the search and you might be pleasantly surprised. I agree with Ben I would be looking at the monarch 5's and, well that's where I would start.. Then I would just go down the line and look at everything they had behind the counter. Don't forget the bargain cave as well. Don't be afraid to make an offer in the cave either

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
Yes sir! I was more or less following the crowd and using 10x42 class binos for years until I stumbled onto a deal with the Monarch 7 8x42s. I hunt out west (I live in Nevada, if that tells you anything!) and I don't think I'll ever go back to 10x binos for my neck hangers. I now have a pair of 15X56 MeoStars on a tripod for serious glassing, but I truly believe you get a better view (a brighter and wider view that's far more useful) for handheld binoculars going 8x over 10x. Sure I would much rather have a pair of 10x42 Swarovskis vs 8x42 Bushnells, but that's not an apples to apples comparison. I have owned both the 10x42 and 8x42 version of the Monarch 7s, and the 8x seemed like twice the bino to me. It's like you're cheating the "you get what you pay for" rule.

I think the only way I would jump up from 8's would be if I could ever afford the 8.5 EL Swaro. They are amazing!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
work is getting me a new pair of binos and was wanting some help.
they have to be under $300 and academy, bass pro or Cabela's must carry them.
I am thinking the vortex diamondbacks 10x42, vanguard, or Nikons.
what do you think? should I look at some of the Cabela's brands or any others?
Thanks

Meopta makes the Cabelas Euro HDs. I have their 15s and they are great glass IMO.