Tracking test write up.

Pro953

WKR
Help! I am trying to find the thread/article (I believe Luke wrote it) on scope tracking. I read it a while back and wanted to look back at it, now I cannot find it.

I searched scope tracking etc... and it does not seem to be popping up.

Anyone have a link?

Best,
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Looks like it was deleted for some reason. Bummer.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Yeah it was deleted. Bummer. It was interesting info.

I think we need a little more info from Ryan or Robby why it was pulled. I’m assuming it’s because a scope company threw a fit that didn’t perform. It was a great thread with very useful information.

Not sure if this is the case but if so it’s Pretty damn lame if this was pulled because a company complained.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Easy guys...Ryan or Robby had nothing to do with it. I pulled it myself. I am pretty new to the LR game and didn't want to come off as I actually know my butt from a hole in the ground on anything. As such I figured I would pull it until I actually know what the heck I am doing. ;)

No worries guys. Its not really that valuable anyways honestly as the sample size was nearly a sample of 1 for each scope and just cause one scope in my limited test of 15 or so scopes did or did not do well its hardly a reason to base a purchase of your own scope off of.

Easy guys...Ryan or Robby had nothing to do with it. I pulled it myself. I am pretty new to the LR game and didn't want to come off as I actually know my butt from a hole in the ground on anything. As such I figured I would pull it until I actually know what the heck I am doing. ;)

No worries guys. Its not really that valuable anyways honestly as the sample size was nearly a sample of 1 for each scope and just cause one scope in my limited test of 15 or so scopes did or did not do well its hardly a reason to base a purchase of your own scope off of.

Thanks for the explanation Luke. Do you have any plans to re-post a similar thread after you have had more time and a larger sample size to evaluate? I still think it was great information and also aligned pretty closely to what can be found across the various avenues of information as far as performance and tracking. I know I always struggled to shoot ranges I dialed and attributed it to me, my load, my app and inputs but for some reason never really thought of the scope. Once I got a true reliable tracking scope extended ranges became much much easier to shoot and hit where I intended on the first shot. If one scope in a sample of 15 doesn't perform then I would say its even more likely most of those scopes will not perform as intended and advertised.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Sorry Luke, did not mean to stir up dust. I was hopeful it was due to the devlopment of a long form piece. Honestly I was going to re-read as I am looking for a new scope and was interested in how to test it for accurate tracking as I just learning about tracking issues. I am sure google will help solve that problem but the article came to mind.

Certainly no interest it stir anything up just thought I was crazy I could not find it. Mods, feel free to delete this thread as well. No need to feed the drama. Plenty of other great reviews that can be searched up.

mt100gr.

WKR
I agree this is disappointing. That was a good snapshot of potential scope issues. As well as a good tutorial on how to test a scope for our own use.

I also agree that while small sample size often doesn't tell the whole story, if these scopes are in fact reliable what are the odds that you got the one of thousands that is sub par across so many brands and styles? Hopefully there isn't a sponsorship issue here trying to cover up valuable information.

Luke, I am not attempting to start any speculation but you put a lot of time into that testing and write up. It's possible you didn't cover every parameter but it's also likely that your methods were sufficient such that deviation from 100% repeatability and reliability would be detected. Perhaps having a third party review your data could clear up any doubts and the information could be restored? With the disclaimer about sample size and any other specifics you deem necessary.

Check out Team Pitch Black Precision on YouTube. He tests a lot of scopes.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

bradb

WKR
forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/scope-testing.3928325/page-41#post-37128459

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, Luke is right, didn’t even know it was pulled. And I never pull anything that is fair, I do pull threads that are hateful spiteful or feel the gear wasnt fairly tested, but I think that’s happened once or twice since we started this place. I give our writers the option to pull these down if they feel they didn’t do a good job or new info come to light. So if you feel the urge to become a busy-body and make false assumptions, resist! You can do it!
Luke has been here for years and I trust his judgment on this.

If anyone can locate a sponsor in the review and prove I pulled the review because of flack, I have 500 bucks sitting here for you.