Nightforce Mounting Issue

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Recently picked up a Dakota M97 Outfitter in 338 Win Mag. Purchased a Nightforce SHV 3-10. Tried mounting it tonight. The Nightforce's tube is too short to mount with the Talley Rings. Really just needs like 1mm, but I am not going to force anything.

I really do like these Talley rings, but are there other ring sets that will fit the M97 and allow me to use this scope? I would need to know for sure so that I dont end up buying a set that still won't work. I already tried flipping the rear base, but it projects over the action too far and would get in the way of loading/unloading.

I can probably find a use for the Nightforce on another rifle, My initial scope budget was @ $1500. I could swing $600-800 for another scope that has a longer tube. What would be some good options for Elk hunting.

Needs to be 30mm tube.
Power in the 3-15ish range
Objective needs to be in the 40's

I have seen some good deals lately.

Grumman

WKR
I was worried about recoil with Talleys on my 338 so I went with a Warne steel rail. If you don’t mind a rail that would give you more room with that scope. I didn’t find the rail to be a hindrance on my M70. I handled one of those 3-10 Nightforce at Cabela’s the other day and really liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Scoony

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I was worried about recoil with Talleys on my 338 so I went with a Warne steel rail. If you don’t mind a rail that would give you more room with that scope. I didn’t find the rail to be a hindrance on my M70. I handled one of those 3-10 Nightforce at Cabela’s the other day and really liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an option, I will have to see if I can find a rail that will fit this action.

choovhntr

WKR
What orientation do you have the Talleys in? I believe you can mount them either direction (ring toward the barrel, ring toward the butt or a combination of the two). If you haven't tried that it may work.

I think the Talleys for the Dakota are different than others. And there is no movement or changing. And if the rifle had open sights, a longer tubed scope may neccesitate removal of the rear sight

OP
Scoony

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Talleys for the Dakota are different than others. And there is no movement or changing. And if the rifle had open sights, a longer tubed scope may neccesitate removal of the rear sight

Yes, your correct. The bases can only go one one way.

After further consideration last night, I really need the $ to upgrade other gear for this years hunt, so I would rather not purchase another scope. I emailed Talley to see if they had a possible solution. Thats my first choice. The fit and finish of these rings are impressive. Put one side on the scope and it practically locks on without any pressure. I am not sure what issues others have had with talley, but I am sure that the folks at Dakota picked them for a reason.

Plan B will be to try another base and ring system. I will contact Dakota for a recommendation on a system that will work.

Plan C will be another scope, hopefully, I can solve this issue before getting to Plan C

OP
Scoony

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
So with a fresh head, I took another look at the situation. The fit is sooo close. The tube really only needs another 1/2mm of length. I could probably force it on, but not going to do that.

The receiver is similar to a Remington 700 series, but with a claw extractor. Looking at the rear base, seems the dovetail cutout is towards the rear. If they make a rear base with cutouts a little more centered, I will be back in business. If not, I think bases made for Remington style actions may work.

I have emailed both Talley and Dakota Arms and will wait to see what they suggest.

If talleys don't work I just get an aluminum or titanium picatinny rail. That gives you a mote rugged mount as well.

OP
Scoony

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Issue if fixed thanks to help from HShunter and a call to Talleys. They have a extended base that fits Dakota actions.

Here was the initial solution of reversing the rear base. It left a sharp edge that was catching my hand while loading a dummy round. Dakota's have a flush bolt release latch, and that notch in the base (should be oriented to the rear) allows the latch to work.

View attachment 66607

And with the new extended front base. It leaves a few millimeters at either end.

View attachment 66608

Anyone considering the Nightforce SHV 3-10, and worried about the short tube on a long action, I was able to make it work.

Now I just need some good weather for the range to see how this rifle shoots.