Used vs new optics

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good afternoon. I have been looking into buying a Swarovski spotting scope possibly from B&H photo. They are an authorized Swarovski dealer. I have noticed they also sale used Swarovski optics but I have always been skeptical about buying used items. Now B&H has a good return policy on items but I am curious if Swarovski still honor their product warranty on “used” items. Any thoughts or opinions on this dilemma? Thanks

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
So should I explore the option of buying used optics? Anyone here have experience with B&H?

trom2k

FNG
I’ve purchased quite a bit of camera gear from them. Solid company that’s been in the game for a long time. I returned a lens once just because I had second thoughts on the price (they weren’t overpriced, I just couldn’t justify the lens and picked up a similar model) and there wasn’t an issue.

Never purchased used gear from them however that’s a big part of the photography market and they usually have a scale that’s pretty standard across resellers so you know what you’re getting. I’ve purchased used lenses before just not from B&H.

I wouldn’t have a problem buying used gear from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Yeah B&H is a good company, I wouldn’t worry about it. If I was you I would call cameralandny and talk to Doug, he may have something or be able to get you a demo within your budget.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
So what about vortex optics? My wife and I both have a set of their viper hd binos. Pretty good for the price. What’s the verdict on vortex for say spotting scopes? Now I want one for hunting but my wife wants to use it for digiscoping.

So what about vortex optics? My wife and I both have a set of their viper hd binos. Pretty good for the price. What’s the verdict on vortex for say spotting scopes? Now I want one for hunting but my wife wants to use it for digiscoping.

I'm not super impressed with the vortex spotter I have. Its the viper non hd and while it was decent when I first got it and was in my budget, I'm quickly starting to really dislike it. I had it out on a hunt here in California on a deer hunt a friend drew and I could not get the thing to focus at all. I put the scope away after that hunt thinking I'd send it into vortex but forgot about it, then last week I pulled it out and it focused just fine. It didn't look like it had condensation or anything in it when it wouldn't focus so I don't know what's up with it but that's the second piece of vortex equipment I've had fail so my confidence is not high with them.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I ran the Vortex Razor HD spotter (16-48-65MM) Last yr and was not impressed with it. So i switched to the Swaro 20-60x65mm STS this yr and yup its worth every penny more then the razor HD. It has a way bigger sweet spot and just plain better in all aspects IMO. Buy once cry once, i wouldn't be worried about buying used as they are a pretty good company to deal with.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Have you read this spotting scope review? Less money than a Viper HD and a superior scope.

Would be our pleasure to discuss options and RokSlide member pricing with you on whatever optic would be best for you.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider

I had the vortex viper HD 65mm spotter, and was not that impressed. I bought a used Kowa 663 66mm and it's leagues ahead of the vortex, and cost ended up being maybe $100-150 more.

KurtR

WKR
I run a razor 85 and like it. It is not a swaro but i have the common sense to realize that and not expect it.....

LaHunter

WKR
I purchased my Swaro SLC 10X42 binos and my Swaro STS 65mm spotter used. My opinion is that as long as the glass surfaces are in like new condition, and the optics have not been banged around to damage the internal elements, there really isn't any difference in performance between new and used optics, when buying high end optics. Glass does not wear out from viewing. The adjustments may get some wear, or you may need to get new screw on/off ocular pieces, but unless they have been abused you shouldn't see a difference between 10 year old glass and new glass of the same model.

Good Luck

I run a Vortex Viper HD 65mm. It's not Swaro for sure but it's really good. It's crisp glass, I have no complaints about the image quality. The light gathering is pretty impressive also. When I use it glassing above town, I'll be glassing until all the cars have their lights on and it's basically completely dark. I would definitely recommend it. I'll probably never spend top dollar (over $1000 on optics) and I plan on having it for years and years.

I have looked through Vortex binos and I think there's no real distinction in optic quality between their binos and spotters.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP