Spotting scope recommendations

AZElk

FNG
I am currently looking at getting a higher end spotting scope (Zeiss, Vortex, Maven, Swaro) and am looking for some recommendations on what to get. I have been borrowing someone else's Swaro STX 95 and enjoyed looking through it but had a few problems getting it to stay in focus. Does anyone have experience with the Zeiss Gavia, Vortex Razor HD, of the Maven. I am looking for something in the 85 mm range. I appreciate any advice I am get. Thank you all and good luck on the rest of your hunts this year.

dotman

WKR
Don’t discount Kowa, the 884 is considered the best you can get.

Personally I would remove the vortex from your list and look at Meopta, Leica, Kowa, Swaro and Zeiss. Also I would wait to see what is released at Shot Show and wait for demos to save cash.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I was on a similar search around a year ago and ended up buying a Meopta Meostar S2 with the 30-60 Wide Angle lens. The Swarovski ATX 85 was ever so slightly better (basically a coin toss to my eyes) but I figured I'd spend the $2000 difference on other things. I was also thinking of getting a Swarovski ATS/ATM to save some weight, but was so impressed with the Meopta's view that I went that route. Also, you can sometimes find better prices on the Cabelas Euro Instinct spotter (same thing, with a 20-70 eyepiece).

That said, I recently picked up a pair of Meostar 15x56 HD binoculars and rarely use the spotter now. This quest for better gear is unending.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to mention that I do have experience with the Vortex Razor HD 85 (both Gen 1 and 2) and would recommend looking elsewhere unless you feel you need their VIP warranty. Their glass just didn't come close in my eyes. I felt like the Gen 1 was more usable, but not quite as bright and clear as the Gen 2. The Gen 2 was super finicky with the eye placement, and just didn't give me anything that I would call a "comfortable" view. I think they are fine looking for a brief moment, but I couldn't see myself using them for any kind of extended glassing.

I never looked through the Maven, but it seemed to me people were comparing them mostly to the Razor HD, and that (maybe wrongfully so) scared me away.

As for the Zeiss Gavia, I stayed clear of Zeiss due to some strange things I was hearing about Zeiss at the time (not sure how true it is, and I don't want to go there...) so I decided to put my money into a company I knew had good customer service and would be around for years to come.

I've straight up been impressed with Meopta, and it seems most everyone else with firsthand experience is.

Have you looked at the Nikon Monarch field scope? Snyder has had noting but good things to say about it.

snakelk

WKR
Meopta Meostar S2. Hard to beat for the $ when looking for an 80 mm spotter. Be patient and you can get one on sale at Cabelas (rebranded Euro Instinct) or a used scope for much less than the usual $2300 or more price tag.

I ended up buying one after participating in a side-by-side comparison with several other scopes, and then using a friend's S2 in the field for a couple of years after that. Finally had to get one for myself, and paired it with a Outdoorsmans medium tripod and pistol grip head, and haven't looked back.

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I was on a similar search around a year ago and ended up buying a Meopta Meostar S2 with the 30-60 Wide Angle lens. The Swarovski ATX 85 was ever so slightly better (basically a coin toss to my eyes) but I figured I'd spend the $2000 difference on other things. I was also thinking of getting a Swarovski ATS/ATM to save some weight, but was so impressed with the Meopta's view that I went that route. Also, you can sometimes find better prices on the Cabelas Euro Instinct spotter (same thing, with a 20-70 eyepiece).

That said, I recently picked up a pair of Meostar 15x56 HD binoculars and rarely use the spotter now. This quest for better gear is unending.

I used a Meopta Meostar S2 for a bit. It's flat out awesome. that would be my vote. Nightforce OEMS the spotter too. I carry a Swaro STS 65 25-50 in my pack. But I'd say the Meopta out performs it, at least to me.

Jardo

WKR
I ended up with the Kowa 884 with the wide angle prominar lens and am so glad I did. It's the best glass and is more affordable than the Swarovski. Just wish it had rubber armor. Make sure you get a scope case to protect it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I ended up with the Kowa 884 with the wide angle prominar lens and am so glad I did. It's the best glass and is more affordable than the Swarovski. Just wish it had rubber armor. Make sure you get a scope case to protect it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you tried the 1.6x extender for this? Takes it to 96x in zoom.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
I went from a swaro ats to the kowa 88 couldn’t be happier the kowa is an amazing piece of glass