Spotting scope (leipold, vortex, athlon, vanguard, pentax, ?)

xugz0212

FNG
Going to get my 1st spotting scope. Main usage would be spotting at range out to 500 yard (but considering 1000 yard in the future), and also do a few hunting. My budget is no more than $1400

I've narrowed down my options to:

* Leupold GR 12-40*60 HD
* Vortex Razor HD 22-48
* Vanguard Endeavor HD 15-45x65
* Pentax EDII 65
* Athlon Ares 15-45×65 ED
* Athlon Cronus 20-60×86 ED
* Meopta Meopro HD 80 20-60×80

I've heard lots of good things about leupold gr especially optics considering its weight and size. My main concern for leupold is they only offer non-reticle or moa-reticle options, and no mil reticle. Their MARK4 model with mil reticle doesn't have HD glass, and they just discontinued the H32 and H36 hash reticles and only provide some ugly mil reticle IMO. Another concern is if 40X power is enough for spotting holes out to 500 yards?

Vortex razor hd seems a good way to go as I can always replace the eyepiece with a mil one. However, I'm concerning it's weight and size even for the 22-48 model.

Had zero experience Vanguard, but this model keeps popping out when I doing research online and a lot say it kinda on par with Razor HD regarding glassing performance. Not sure if it is true but the price is attractive anyway.

Pentax seems to be widely recommended by a lot of birding forums, but it seems a bit dated and I'm not sure how it is compared with leupold and vortex.

Athlon ares seems getting some good reviews online. But it's really not a popular model and I'm not able to justify if it deserves the money as it's kinda in the middle price range and my past experience told me "buy once, cry once", so getting a middle price range scope might be a waste as i will upgrade to a premium one in the future most likely.

Athlon Cronus is up to 60× power but still have a reasonable size. Not sure how good it is but the cronus rifle scope line has a good reputation.

Meopta is said to be on higher tier than vortex razor. For this particular, how does it perform?

Also, is 40 or 48 power enough to spot holes at 500 yards? What about 600 or even futher? I know there are 80+mm spotting scopes available, but I just cannot image carrying such a big monster with me all day around. Any other options I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Titan

WKR
No real experience with the other units, but I really like my Vanguard 65mm. Only compared it to units in Cabelas, so not the ideal conditions, but I figured I could put the extra $700 I saved into some other hunting gear.

Napperm4

WKR
I’ll second the Vanguard as bang for the buck spotter. For the money it’s tough to beat and everyone that has tried agreed it beats my brother’s razor side by side.

As a side note I’ve heard but not tried - supposedly the razor eyepieces fit the Endeavour HDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
X

xugz0212

FNG
I’ll second the Vanguard as bang for the buck spotter. For the money it’s tough to beat and everyone that has tried agreed it beats my brother’s razor side by side.

As a side note I’ve heard but not tried - supposedly the razor eyepieces fit the Endeavour HDs.

That's really a good thing to know. Is the 65mm vanguard enough or I should step up to 82? How much difference are they?

Honestly, I was about to pull the trigger for Athlon Cronus, as they seem to becoming popular.

Napperm4

WKR
That's really a good thing to know. Is the 65mm vanguard enough or I should step up to 82? How much difference are they?

Honestly, I was about to pull the trigger for Athlon Cronus, as they seem to becoming popular.

I don’t have any experience with the Vanguard 65 to help you out there. My old man has the 82 / Brother carries the 85 razor but their primary use is hunting not the range so the benefit of the low light gathering was a main consideration.

Having the 60x zoom is a nice feature but conditions have to be ideal (regardless of brand as I run an alpha spotter and nothing seems to get rid of mirage or heat waves) so normally I don’t go past the 30-40 range anyways.

If your mostly looking for use at the range I used to keep a redfield rampage 60mm scope in my range bag. Used only midday it was great for the price. Meaning it wasn’t the best optic for dawn / dusk but for spotting holes in targets it didn’t really give up a lot to any of the higher end optics

I have the 82mm Vanguard. It's a great scope for the money. If you plan to use it at the range, remember to use the splatter targets past 400 yards. I can't spot holes in white paper much past that.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be our pleasure to discuss options with you.

Best quality for the price would be the Athlon Cronus. The Meopta Meopro is an excellent choice and in your price range.

You should also read this spotting scope review, that was posted on another forum by a member.

WRO

WKR
If you're willing to stretch your budget a bit, there are still last gen Euro's (Meostars) in many of the Cabela's bargain caves for 1550 ish.

This would be well worth the money IMHO. If you get serious about using a spotting scope, any of the options you have listed will sold at some point to buy a better one. At that price you can buy a better one already.

Owenst7

WKR
I bought my Vanguard Endeavor 65 on here for $200. I've posted some pictures from it that I free-handed with my phone. I've been very happy with it for backpacking for elk and mulies.

I've used the Meoptas before in the field and they are also a great product, but they are a bit different price range.

dotman

WKR
If your max zoom is 48x on most of these I would personally add a few hundred and talk to Doug at cameralandny or Steve at S&S archery and see what they can get you into a Kowa 550 series spotter with 45x zoom, it’ll blow all of these away and is super light weight and small for packing.

It’s really nice to have a spotter that is 29oz and has an amazing view.

OP
X

xugz0212

FNG
Thanks for the help, Doug. That was a really nice review on Athlon Ares, my only concern is its big brother 20-60 is way too large for me while the 65mm one might not have enough power? All in all, I want a spotting scope being able to see holes out to at least 200 yards at range. Is this doable for the Athlon Ares 15-45 65mm?

Another question is how good is the Athlon Cronus 20-60? I see it has a much reasonable size considering its power. But I'd like to see how good is the glass compared to razor HD, is it superior?

Also, how about the Vanguard Endeavor HD 65 or 82? I've heard a lot of good things about the Endeavor HD and it is said to be on par with razor hd.

Thanks a lot!

I would get the Kowa 55 even though I've not looked through one yet. There's a sale on the straight version on Optics Planet for $1439, but use the "JANUARY" promo code and it's $1299. Ridiculous deal for a great spotting scope.

Unless of course Doug can match or beat that price!

OP
X

xugz0212

FNG

dotman

WKR

Doesn’t have the pure fluorite crystal glass that makes the 55 and 88 so good, the 55mm will far outshine the 60mm & 66mm.

fsuitw

FNG
The benefit with a 66 is that you can change the eyepiece and you get a rotating collar. The glass certainly isn’t in the same class, but with a 25x long eye relief or 30x wide eyepiece you can get something the 55 doesn’t offer.

fsuitw

FNG
I would get the Kowa 55 even though I've not looked through one yet. There's a sale on the straight version on Optics Planet for $1439, but use the "JANUARY" promo code and it's $1299. Ridiculous deal for a great spotting scope.

Unless of course Doug can match or beat that price!

If you want an angled scope (553) you can get one for 1619 from s&s archery with the promo code "rokslide"

OP
X

xugz0212

FNG
I see the point here. I'm about to pull the trigger for the Kowa 550, the only concern left over is if 45* enough for spotting target at range? At least for 200-300 yards shooting at paper target?

Cannot make my decision between the kowa thing and athlon cronus 20-60 hd

Jimbob

WKR
Doesn’t have the pure fluorite crystal glass that makes the 55 and 88 so good, the 55mm will far outshine the 60mm & 66mm.

Are you sure about that. The 60 and 66 are completely different animals. The 66 compares well to the 65 swaro. By just reading reviews I do not think the 55 will far outshine the 66.

dotman

WKR
Are you sure about that. The 60 and 66 are completely different animals. The 66 compares well to the 65 swaro. By just reading reviews I do not think the 55 will far outshine the 66.

100% sure the 66 doesn’t have the same glass, even the 77 doesn’t have the pure fluorite crystal glass. According to S&S archery, the 55mm is just edged out by the ATX/STX 65mm Swaro.

Now I have not used the ATX/STX but I have a Kowa 55mm and after having it a short period was confident enough after having a Swaro ATS 80 HD with both 25-50 and 20-60 eyepieces that I would keep the Kowa and sell the Swaro.

The 66 Kowa will weigh more, is bulkier and sorry but the pure fluorite crystal glass in the 55mm will be better, it just is. But yes everyone’s eyes are different, I’ve heard many people say the Vortex Razor compares well to Swaro, not in my experience but people say it.

Last edited:
OP
X

xugz0212

FNG
How's the Athlon Cronus 20-60 compared to Kowa 55 regardless of the size and weight?
I'm concerning if 45 high power at the compact Kowa is enough to spot holes on paper target out to 200-300 yards at range. Thanks!

Last edited: