Zeiss or Maven?

Hey guys I'm looking to buy my first spotting scope, I've learned over the years to buy an item once instead of buying a cheaper one and keep upgrading that costs more in the long run. I have narrowed it down between the Maven S1A or the Zeiss Conquest Gavia. Have any of you compared the two side by side? I know Maven has a great warranty like others in the industry not sure about Zeiss. Any feedback is appreciated.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Buy a quality item from a quality company and you'll understand the best warranty is the one you won't have to use.

I'd suggest the Zeiss or a Kowa

WKR
Are you implying that the Maven scope is NOT a quality item from a quality company?

dotman

WKR
I don’t think he’s suggesting that, but he has tons of experience with the two companies he suggested so he can’t give Maven a recommendation since they are only a direct to consumers business model. There is a Maven for sale in the classifieds, I haven’t tried maven and can’t comment on them either. My only Zeiss experience is with binos and rifle scopes so can’t comment there either.

Why have you narrowed it down to these two only? I would go with the Meopta S2 or Kowa 77 over both of your current options.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are you implying that the Maven scope is NOT a quality item from a quality company?

I am saying Kowa and Zeiss are excellent, long standing, established companies with fine well earned reputations.
I have no experience with Maven, or with Tract for that matter, as these are relatively new companies that are direct to consumer. Not knocking them at all. They, from what I've read, are producing decent optics but as they are fairly new companies there's no extended track record on performance.
We got involved a few years ago with Zen-Ray, due to repeated requests from our customer base. Zen-Ray is a privately owned company who sold direct to consumer as well as through retailers. Very similar business model to some of these new pop up optics companies. They made very nice optics in various price points that got great reviews. As of this writing Zen-Ray is not operational and does not respond to e-mails or phone calls. Their web site indicates that they will be returning in 2018. We shall see.

All I am saying is that companies like Kowa and Zeiss are major players in the optics world.

WKR
I get that Maven, and their direct to consumer model, is a threat to places like Cameraland and will be treated as such. I appreciate the direct to consumer model (as it saves me a lot of $) and have full confidence in Maven's future. I, personally, am not willing to pay 40-50% more for an equal quality item on the idea that a company will or won't be here in 50 years but I understand that there are others who view that more significantly than I do.

In this day and age, a short history doesn't bother me as much as it might have in the past. Anybody think Google, Amazon, or Zappos are going anywhere despite their short history?

I own a Kowa scope (purchased used, on Rokslide) and Maven binos, which sit on a Promaster tripod I bought from Cameraland and a Benro head I bought from S&S Archery attached with a KDC bino adapter...

Last edited:

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I think Maven has come out and been received as a real threat to market share in the Optics world. I have yet to read a bad review of any piece of Maven glass. Also, the two owners have a lot of years of Optics experience under their belt. I would think the expansion into rifle scopes is likely an indication of the health of the company, and I expect to see them around for a long time.

OP
Don Qui Puncher
thanks for the info guys, ive never looked into meopta or kowa but a quick search concluded that there warranty states it covers only defects of workmanship not abuse. im pretty tough on my gear and being in rugged terrain I would want something that god forbids takes a tumble would be covered, although I have no intention of using it, it does make me feel better about a very large purchase that if it did break it would be covered no questions asked. ive been looking at a certain price point and performance, ive been reading about Maven for a while and haven't heard a bad thing about them, Zeiss has been around forever and is know for exceptional glass so that's why ive narrowed it down to them two, ill have to do some more homework before I purchase but im leaning towards the Maven

I would call The Outdoorsmans and ask their opinion of the Zeiss Gavia. They're incredibly knowledgeable and were very complementary of the Gavia when I spoke to them.

Trial153

WKR
The Gavia is excellent glass, my buddy has the 85mm and I used it quite a bit. Compared well to my ATS and the larger version Kowa I used. If had the need for a larger objective spotter the gavia would be on the list.

dotman

WKR
I get that Maven, and their direct to consumer model, is a threat to places like Cameraland and will be treated as such. I appreciate the direct to consumer model (as it saves me a lot of $) and have full confidence in Maven's future. I, personally, am not willing to pay 40-50% more for an equal quality item on the idea that a company will or won't be here in 50 years but I understand that there are others who view that more significantly than I do.

In this day and age, a short history doesn't bother me as much as it might have in the past. Anybody think Google, Amazon, or Zappos are going anywhere despite their short history?

I own a Kowa scope (purchased used, on Rokslide) and Maven binos, which sit on a Promaster tripod I bought from Cameraland and a Benro head I bought from S&S Archery attached with a KDC bino adapter...

I don’t see where Maven is cheaper then comparable glass in the spotting scope world, I think it’s price should be lower with their business model or do you think it’s in the class of the ATX Swaro?

dotman

WKR
thanks for the info guys, ive never looked into meopta or kowa but a quick search concluded that there warranty states it covers only defects of workmanship not abuse. im pretty tough on my gear and being in rugged terrain I would want something that god forbids takes a tumble would be covered, although I have no intention of using it, it does make me feel better about a very large purchase that if it did break it would be covered no questions asked. ive been looking at a certain price point and performance, ive been reading about Maven for a while and haven't heard a bad thing about them, Zeiss has been around forever and is know for exceptional glass so that's why ive narrowed it down to them two, ill have to do some more homework before I purchase but im leaning towards the Maven

Based on how hard you will be on it, you might be better having Vortex and Maven be your final two just for warranty and worry about optical quality less, Zeiss has had some warranty nightmares over the years, not sure if they have improved or not.

WKR
I don’t see where Maven is cheaper then comparable glass in the spotting scope world, I think it’s price should be lower with their business model or do you think it’s in the class of the ATX Swaro?

I think Maven B2's (and likely the C1's) punch WELL above their price point. They compete with products at nearly double their cost.

The B1's and S1 are good value but not amazing like the B2's.

I flat don't like the B4's ergonomics/fit.

I own the B2's and B1's.

My opinion.

And I REALLY like the specs of their new rifle scope.

dotman

WKR
I think Maven B2's (and likely the C1's) punch WELL above their price point. They compete with products at nearly double their cost.

The B1's and S1 are good value but not amazing like the B2's.

I flat don't like the B4's ergonomics/fit.

I own the B2's and B1's.

My opinion.

And I REALLY like the specs of their new rifle scope.

Yeah but their spotter is over $2k, not priced in line with how they priced their binos imo. I would think it would be closer in price to a Vortex Razor. Similar to their binos.

WKR
I think the Flourite glass element really bumps up the cost. I'm not sure whether the other scopes it would be compared with, like Vortex and Meopta have the flourite glass.

Trial153

WKR
If they were built and performed the same as com-parables that were double the cost they would be priced at double cost. There is no free lunch.

WKR
If they were built and performed the same as com-parables that were double the cost they would be priced at double cost. There is no free lunch.

No.

They are priced the same as what the retailers purchase the alpha optics for, but with the direct to consumer model, the amount that the store must profit, is not part of the equation, and the consumer pays less.

In the retail store system a "2k bino" costs 500 to make, is sold to Cabelas (or whomever) for 1k, and the consumer pays 2k.

In the direct to consumer model, the same 500 makes the bino and they are sold to the consumer at 1k. Cabelas doesn't get anything and the consumer saves a bunch.

Also, maven makes the same $500 profit as swaro makes...

Good deal for everybody except Cabelas...

Trial153

WKR
if you believe thats the rational behind direct to consummer sales models then you bought it hook line and sinker.