Silent rangefinder

This is for the Archery hunters. I have spooked at least three Elk with the activation of a rangefinder. The leupold 600 and 750. The click of the activation button is clearly audible. I have a hearing deficit and did not know. All three bulls were within 40 yards and froze when I clicked the unit. Then fled. Not good. Now I take my wife (ears like an Elk?) with me when shopping for them. She can clearly hear them. So far the Leica seems the quietest but none are totally silent. I want silent. When I called one of the newer manufacturers they expressed disbelief that it would be an issue. Well it is for me. I hate hunting for weeks to have an animal spooked by a "clicker". By the way Leupold says they have addressed this issue and I will be checking it out. Anyone else found this a problem?

Sounds like they saw you move. I have a hard time believing the click of the button spooked them.

WKR
If they're close enough to hear the rangefinder button, I really don't need a rangefinder.

I own the Leica and have never even thought of it making a noise.

OP
S
Wrong forum

If they're close enough to hear the rangefinder button, I really don't need a rangefinder.

I own the Leica and have never even thought of it making a noise.

Apparently this is the wrong forum for this discussion. After bow hunting for 40 years I always range my shots unless point blank. I never assume and try to never take risky (to the animal) shots. The last Bull I spooked was standing behind a huge P Pine. I don't think it saw me but sure heard that CLICK CLICK of the range finder. Reaction was instant. I am tree stand hunting on travel routes and wallows. Talking to the companies and they have all discussed this and said it is a concern of theirs. Except one. It is nice to know that Leupold recognized the issue as their range finders are reliable and solid. I have been trying out several Zeiss, Leupold, Vortex, Sig, Lieca. They are all much better. The Zeiss, Leica, and Sig to me are the quietest. Quiet enough for the shots under 40yards which hopefully most are. Thanks.

MattB

WKR
On a very still day, the noise from a Leica caught the attention of 2 caribou bulls at 38 yards. Nothing to do with movement. I haven't noticed an issue with my SIG, Nikon, or Optilogics.

MattB

WKR
If tree stand/blind hunting, no need to get ranges with an animal in sight. Measure yardage to various landmarks beforehand.

dotman

WKR
Apparently this is the wrong forum for this discussion. After bow hunting for 40 years I always range my shots unless point blank. I never assume and try to never take risky (to the animal) shots. The last Bull I spooked was standing behind a huge P Pine. I don't think it saw me but sure heard that CLICK CLICK of the range finder. Reaction was instant. I am tree stand hunting on travel routes and wallows. Talking to the companies and they have all discussed this and said it is a concern of theirs. Except one. It is nice to know that Leupold recognized the issue as their range finders are reliable and solid. I have been trying out several Zeiss, Leupold, Vortex, Sig, Lieca. They are all much better. The Zeiss, Leica, and Sig to me are the quietest. Quiet enough for the shots under 40yards which hopefully most are. Thanks.

Or get the new Garmin site and be a more ethical hunter if allowed in your state that is.

OP
S
No electronic devices allowed on the bow.....I saw that new unit an am sure it will trigger ethics questions. Problem is how far back do you go to regain your veil of ethics. Spear? Or stick and string traditional? As far as marking objects from a tree stand and then not needing the rangefinder. That is common practice but is usually done the first couple of time in the stand. I spooked that last one a few minutes after dawn first morning. Better prep would have solved the issue or a silent range finder........

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a leica and have never had anything spook from using it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk