Vortex razor hd gen 2 vs nikon fieldscope III ED

Rockchuck

WKR
Does anyone have experience with these two spotting scopes? How do they stack up against each other? I have always been curious about the nikon and came across a used one at a good price. I know they are discontinued and vortex has the better warranty, but how do they stack up against each other optically? Looking at the 20-60x60 mm version nikon vs the same size class razor....

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

JNDEER

WKR
I have both, (Gen 1 razor). Have had the Nikon much longer then the vortex.

I can give you lots of details or specifics about the comparison if you want-just ask for specifics, but my opinion is that the vortex is better than the Nikon, but not by a lot.

I picked up my Nikon for $600 long time back and my vortex for $600 as well. Depending on the price I could go either way, but if they are close or within $100-200 then I would say the vortex. If not than you will be just fine with the Nikon.

OP
Rockchuck

Rockchuck

WKR
Thanks for the input JNDEER. I own the razor Gen2 in the 85 MM version but man, it is heavy and bulky! I hunt out of a pack a lot and it is a bit ungainly. Optics have been great and it was a big upgrade for me from the old scope I ran before, but I have been looking at the 65/60 mm class to try and shave some weight. I also like the shape of the nikon along with the gen 1 razors vs the gen 2 I have. i find it harder getting on target quickly with the ergonomics of the straight line scope since the bell is a lot bigger than the eyepiece and doesn't naturally align with what I want to view by glancing down the eyepiece on the others. I was primarily looking to step down to a gen 1 razor 65mm in some kind of a trade scenario, but stumbled across a good deal on a nikon fieldscope III 60ED and it got the wheels turning since I have always heard good things about them. I may just go for it at that price.

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
Depending on the price you won't loose too much with the Nikon compared to the razor. Clear out very similar. The biggest difference is the fine focus on the razor really helps get image clear and in low light razor was a few minutes (4 to be exact) better then the Nikon.