Optics System

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
What would be the ideal set up?

1.8x32 around neck,15x56 and 11-33x50 scope in the pack?

2. 12x50 on neck and 22-47x65 scope in pack

3. Standby 10x42 and a good scope

dotman

WKR
If thick country just a 8x32, if open 10x42 or 12x50 and spotter of your choice. But I would take the money you plan to put into it all and put it into binos first, get the best you can and a tripod. Then down the road consider a spotter or big eye binos.

OP
T

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
Can 15x56 binos with a doubler compete or beat an 50 mm spotter?

I’m gathering the small spotter is less than desirable ?...

dotman

WKR
No, doublers suck. What is your budget? Are you only looking at Vortex? If you really want a spotter get the 50mm but personally not knowing your budget or what you plan to spend on the binos it’s hard to recommend. If your total budget is $1000 put it all into one bino, if it’s $1500 put it all into one bino and a good tripod setup, if it’s $2k get a good bino and the 50mm. Don’t pay retail!

This is a tough one to answer without knowing budget/quality of optics, type of terrain, and use (i.e. identification or counting inches and backpacking or truck-hunting). That being said, I'll do my best.

Option #1 is the worst in my opinion. I had the vortex razor 11-33x50 for awhile until I picked up a set of swarovski SLC 10x42's. I could see more through the SLC's at 10x than I could through the vortex at 33x. It would have to be a really low-end set of 15x binos to resolve less than that scope.

Option #2 is similar to what I currently use, EL 12x50's and ATM 25-50x65. I have only had the EL's for a few months now, but I am really liking the 12x so far. I think it is the perfect combination for the backpack hunter who is already carrying a tripod and doesn't need to count every inch.

Option #3 of quality 10x42's and a good spotting scope is probably the most common setup among western hunters if you took a poll.

Given the specific magnification ranges you listed, I assume you are focused on Vortex. There are some other brands at the same price-point and equal (if not greater) performance. I would recommend at least taking a look at Meopta, Maven, etc. if you aren't dead-set on Vortex.

If you're looking at $1-2k total for the system, I think you would be best off spending the lion's share on a good set of 10x42 or 12x50 binos depending on your preference and picking up a quality spotting scope down-the-road. Whichever of the 3 options you decide, make sure you have a tripod too! Good luck.

OP
T

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at razor HD , Zeiss Conquest, Meopta.

I currently have Steiner night hunter 10x42 and Athlon Ares scope but I really want to take the next step up

I have a good Slik Tripod

I do desert mule deer “ searching” as I have yet to succeed and AZ elk with the dream of a Colorado elk backpack hunt. I like to stay mobile and get off the roads as much as possible

I would consider myself a “ damn that looks big I want it “ type.

I really like the idea 15’s but just can’t figure out how to add them to my arsenal without adding a lot of weight or subtracting from scope weight and chest Bino weight

Last edited:
Those are all great lines to look at, and I assume would be a step up from your current setup. If desert mule deer is the top priority, I would be wanting a set of high magnification binos like 12's or 15's that are high-quality enough to look through for hours on end without eye strain. If you go 15x, I would definitely want a set of compact binos in a chest harness for quick looks. I was worried about free-handing my 12's, as I am a very shaky person, but I was surprised how well I could freehand them when needed and would not add a set of compact binos to the 12's.

As far as a spotter, you're going to have to go bigger than the 50 mm vortex to gain much over a nice pair of 12x or 15x binos. If you're just looking at frame size, I would point you in the direction of a 65ish mm scope with a max magnification around 45-50x. Daytime heat waves in the desert will probably limit you to that range anyway. If you are super weight conscious, the new Kowa 55mm has been getting some good reviews, but I have never looked through one.

WKR
My System:

8x30 Maven B3
8x42 Maven B1
11x45 Maven B2

Kowa 663 (66 mm spotter) with 30x fixed

For deer, I take the 11's and spotter. Same for pronghorn.

Elk, glassing (late season) take the 11's by themselves (was cow hunting so no need to judge antlers)

Elk, calling (early season) I'd rather have the 8's by themselves

I can't imagine carrying the little 8's and the 11's at the same time.

The 11's are my 3d archery binos.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’m looking at razor HD , Zeiss Conquest, Meopta.

I currently have Steiner night hunter 10x42 and Athlon Ares scope but I really want to take the next step up

I have a good Slik Tripod

I do desert mule deer “ searching” as I have yet to succeed and AZ elk with the dream of a Colorado elk backpack hunt. I like to stay mobile and get off the roads as much as possible

I would consider myself a “ damn that looks big I want it “ type.

I really like the idea 15’s but just can’t figure out how to add them to my arsenal without adding a lot of weight or subtracting from scope weight and chest Bino weight

I think you should really consider Maven B2’s in a full frame bino if you’re considering Razor HD’s, they are REALLY nice glass. If you go with a compact that B3 8x30 from Maven is pretty sweet. I run a 9x45 off a tripod for everything (tripod not needed for elk really where I’m at). I’ve used their 11x45 as well, just didn’t want 11x for my “do all” glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
so much is place and game dependent. I think some trial and error will lead you to a pair of glass that will work in most situations.

I run a combo of 8x32 els, 10x42slc hds and 12x50 els, the later two off tri pods. My spotter is a ATS 65.
I only bow hunt so if i rifled hunted my choices would most likely be differnt.
For elk hunting the 8x alone gets the nod more often then not unless its very open country then i take the 10x. I never take two peices of glass for elk.

Mule deer and coues deer its alwsys 12xels paired with 8x ....i cant use the 12x free hand so once i make a move to slalk into bow range the 12x go in the pack and 8 stay in my harness.

If i am looking for something that a spotter is required it gets paired with 10x which i will run off my pod as well.

Pure game finding a good 12x off a pod is almost impossible for me to beat and it has enough Magnification for me to judge most game.

Those are all great lines to look at, and I assume would be a step up from your current setup. If desert mule deer is the top priority, I would be wanting a set of high magnification binos like 12's or 15's that are high-quality enough to look through for hours on end without eye strain. If you go 15x, I would definitely want a set of compact binos in a chest harness for quick looks. I was worried about free-handing my 12's, as I am a very shaky person, but I was surprised how well I could freehand them when needed and would not add a set of compact binos to the 12's.

As far as a spotter, you're going to have to go bigger than the 50 mm vortex to gain much over a nice pair of 12x or 15x binos. If you're just looking at frame size, I would point you in the direction of a 65ish mm scope with a max magnification around 45-50x. Daytime heat waves in the desert will probably limit you to that range anyway. If you are super weight conscious, the new Kowa 55mm has been getting some good reviews, but I have never looked through one.

This guy nailed it. 15s are sweet if it fits your style and type of country. If I could only have 1 bino it'd be 12s.

OP
T

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate al the input. I knew I came to the right place.

So I guess my question stems from me wanting more.

I’ve missed deer with my Binos my buddy could see. My spotting scope is ok but I’m not a fan of using it.

So maybe higher quality of both would improve my experience with both?

So would higher end 10x42s and a better scope make me like my current mag ranges?

Which to restate is Steiner Nighthubnter 10x42s and Athlon Ares 15-45x60.

OP
T

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
Then again I’m hearing a lot in favor of a single 12x50 and a scope

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
If you are a “damn that’s big I want it” you don’t need a spotter.

Desert Mule Deer, 12 ELs or Ultravids would be perfect. 15 EL would be the ticket too. You would be amazed at how many situations those premier binos will cover. Alpha 10s are never bad for ANYTHING either.

This ^^^ especially the first part about 15’s and a set of chest binos especially if in the desert hunting Muleys or Coues whitetail. I personally run a set of Swarovski 10x50 EL that are always around my neck, the Meopta meostar 15’s for the sit down w/tripod glassing and finally my Meopro HD80 spotter that I use for taking a closer look. I have to mention this is my scouting setup, my hunting outfit I’ll drop the spotter usually.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I own the following -
8x30 Swarovski Habicht
15x63 Optolyth
15-45 Opticron 50mm Scope

The little spotter works quite well, but I plan to list it on the classifieds soon. I think something closer to a 65mm scope would compliment the 15x binoculars. If I wanted to lighten the pack and only bring two sets of optics, I tend to grab the 8x and 15x binoculars over the spotter.