Outdoorsmans micro panhead vs pistol grip

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for those with experience with both. I do not run spotters only binos. Whats the pros cons on each one? I am currently running the pistol grip with panning attachment but curious about the micro. Is one better than the other for using binos?

It's really a personal preference thing, I've found. I went to the Outdoorsmans a while back with the intention of buying the micro panhead, but wanting to try out all three heads they carry. When I actually tried them out I loved the pistol grip and disliked the micro panhead. I asked the guys in the shop which I should buy; one said pistol grip and the other preferred the micro panhead.

I personally believe the pistol grip is superior for using binos. It's super intuitive and just easy to use. Squeeze, point, release and you're on your target. The micro panhead was a bit more finicky with the adjustments for me, but others think it works great and swear by it. It'll be easier to pan with but not as easy to lock down in the perfect spot (that's also my opinion, I think others may disagree). It just depends on what works for you. Both are great options.

rblosser

Lil-Rokslider
used them both on spotters and settled on the micro pan head. The pistol grip was hard to control with the weight of a spotter. For binos I would think you would be ok with the pistol grip

FlyGuy

WKR
I personally have not used either of them, but I was recently hunting Aoudad sheep with an outfitter and all of the guides used the pistol grip with their binos. I asked why they preferred it and they said that it works best for the way they glass. In that terrain you are always glassing UP and the sheep always tend to be in the rocky outcroppings and ledges, so they never worry about grid searching the entire face of a mountain. They just selectively glass those high percentage spots and move to the next one, and the pistol grip is perfect for that application.

Anyway, when I saw your question I thought I'd share that. The answer may be in the style of glassing that you most often do.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Extrapale

WKR
I had a pistol grip with panner to go with it. I recommend getting the panner also if you go that route. Pistol grip was not great fot a spotter, but it worked great with binos.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I have the micro and really like it but I’ve shrunken my spotter to a 55mm lightweight option, wonder if anyone has used the pistol with these smaller spotting scopes.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
My ten cents.

[video=youtube_share;98_1ORKYIAk]https://youtu.be/98_1ORKYIAk?list=PLBsWeLkJhajP0WD6Y119KOcR8d0mH0MA 8[/video]

Ronb

WKR
Great vid! I think you nailed it. Love the micro and 624 for my binos and 65mm spotter. Its not perfect, but dang close. Anything bigger than a 65 and I’d be running the standard with a 634. The more you use it, the better you get at using the tilt. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
For binos, a smooth, fluid type head allows panning with just the slightest eyecup pressure, and your hands and arms stay relaxed. A pistol grip generally requires "hands on" for any movement.

I used the micro pan head with my Nikon Monarch 7 binoculars and the Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85. I'll admit that the spotting scope was way too heavy for the micro head, but the pistol grip would have been even worse. But for the binos, the micro head was perfect. I am in the market for a smaller/light spotting scope to go with my micro head. My goal is to use one head for both the binos and the spotting scope.

To be clear, I have not used the pistol grip.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I agree with many above. The pistol/panner works great with binos and worked good with a large bodied spotter but was not ideal for grid searching. The Micro is a great weight savings and although I never had a moment where it let me down, I will be switching to the regular pan head this year when using the STX 95. The micro will see use with the 65 objective. I will say the micro worked better with the 95 than I expected it to.

N2TRKYS

WKR
My ten cents.

[video=youtube_share;98_1ORKYIAk]https://youtu.be/98_1ORKYIAk?list=PLBsWeLkJhajP0WD6Y119KOcR8d0mH0MA 8[/video]

I've watched this video before and just watched it again. For someone, like myself, that doesn't have any experience with tripods or head attachments, this is a great video.

Thanks for making it.

dotman

WKR
I agree with many above. The pistol/panner works great with binos and worked good with a large bodied spotter but was not ideal for grid searching. The Micro is a great weight savings and although I never had a moment where it let me down, I will be switching to the regular pan head this year when using the STX 95. The micro will see use with the 65 objective. I will say the micro worked better with the 95 than I expected it to.

Yeah I never had any issues using an ATS 80 on the micro.

OP
M

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Well dang guys. After talking to a few people I was sold on keeping my pistol grip and panner then I come on here and read this. Hmmmm choices

Well dang guys. After talking to a few people I was sold on keeping my pistol grip and panner then I come on here and read this. Hmmmm choices

Order the micro and see which one you like. If you use the "jayscott" promo code it's 10% off. Then if you don't like it you can sell it on Rokslide and only lose like $25.