Leupold vs. Vortex?

Pm1176

Lil-Rokslider
Any horror stories with Vortex? Ive always been a Leupold guy...but the Vortex Viper HS or Diamondback HP are appealing due to magnification ranges. Your real world thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
i'm a Leupold guy.

having said that, i just bought my first Vortex Diamondback 2-7x (rimfire) scope. i have been traipsing thru the wilderness in some horrid weather looking for small game. i sighted in the rifle in a cold storm drizzle. i am pretty happy with my purchase. it did what i wanted it to do. scope things..;)

ljalberta

WKR
I have had both a Viper HS 4-16x44, Diamondback 2-7x35, and a Leupold Vx3i 2.5-8x36. Although they're not the same, I can say the Leupold's glass was noticeably brighter and sharper to my eye than either of the Vortexs. That being said, I still think the Viper is a good value though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had a Vortex HS LR 4-16x44. Anything above 10x was dark and grainy even in the bright sun. But then again, I found all their Razor spotters like that as well at max powers. Not a fan.

rayporter

WKR
all of them and I mean every one, from a 2200 dollar march to a 2500 dollar nightforce go bad. nightforce will fix it and never admit it was fixed or had anything wrong with it, they just return it fixed if you send it in. I think vortex does the same, but I don't own one or know anyone close that does.

Leopold has always sent a sheet showing what was fixed which bothers folks. they think leupolds have trouble.

I have had a scope checker since Charlie made them and checked a lot of scopes. not a lot of bad ones show up.

Have not owned Vortex so I won’t speak to their quality. I do own Leupolds in 3 x 10, 4.5 x 14 (2) and 8.5 x 25. I do not turn turrets. I set my scopes and kill animals I shoot at. I have every confidence in my Leupolds. Whitetail at 315 yards, Elk at 528 yards and Prarie Dogs way out there. I’m 60 years old and until they fail me, I will be a loyal fan.

OP
P

Pm1176

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the input. Sounds like Im going to stay with Leupold. A friend of my father had a Leupold that went through a house fire. The only thing left was the tube, the action it was on and one badly bulged objective lens. Leupold sent him a brand new scope at no charge for his new rifle. Not that folks...is service!

KurtR

WKR
I like my vortex better. Leupy range finder dead . Binos fell apart. Couple scopes quit tracking and spotters left alot to be desired. I use other optics also and pick the tool that's best for the job and in 1985 Leupold was that but it's 2018. Every one has stories about everything failing at some point so take all inter web conjecture with a grain of salt. If your just mounting and shooting a few times a year they will all work as long as your not picking the bottom line offerings up.

I like Leupold and have used them for years. I have a pair of the old Gold Ring compact binoculars that are wonderful. I just purchased a 15-30x50mm Leupold Gold Ring Spotting scope and really like that. I have a VX3 in a 4.5-14x40mm scope with the B&C reticle as does my son. Love that scope. I have a fixed 4x and two fixed 6x scopes that are all awesome as well. They all are tough and they all work very well.

Daubsnu1

FNG
Leupold Vari XII's on both my rifles.

While not a scope comparison, I did order Vortex Razor, Minox HG, and Zeiss Conquest HD's all in 10x42. Tried them out in different situations, different lighting. The Zeiss were best to my eyes.

I suggest you order up a few different brands / models, and see what looks best to you.

Vortex gets a lot of press due to their VIP warranty which is incredible, no doubt. I prefer to NOT need to avail myself of a warranty. Over the years I’ve seen more people speak from experience about the Vortex warranty and that, in and of itself, is something to look at. Leupold, IMO, makes a solid product with better quality glass. Especially if you’re looking for a basic hunting scope. Where they have fallen short lately is in changing trends in shooting (shooter needs) and the robustness and precision of their internals. Basically, I think they sat on their laurels for a while. Last year, though, they seemed to make some big changes that showed they are willing to claw their way back to their former glory. I’m really impressed with some of the newer Leupold scopes I’ve been shooting for the last 9+ months. They’re some of the top-tier offerings but the improvement in the reticle offerings and the redesigned dials have been tremendous. The hit-or-miss nature of the dials, in terms of repeatability, is gone. At least in the 3 2017 models I have. A BiG improvement over the ‘15 and ‘16 models. Their Gold Ring warranty has always been good but I’ve only had to use it once out of probably 30-35 scopes I’ve had. They also tend to be lighter than Vortex, and many other premium brands, which makes them very appealing (to me) for a mountain rifle.

Don’t get me wrong- Vortex makes some terrific products and I own a good number of them. My daily driver binos for work (guiding) is a pair of Viper 10x42s and I’ve got a bunch of different rifle scopes. My AMG is terrific as a PRS scope. I own lots of optics and almost all of it is from one premium brand or another. I’ve got no brand loyalty - I find what I like at the time for the particular need I have and that’s who I go with. That said, Leupold ranks slightly higher, in my mind, over Vortex. All things being equal, that is.

boom

WKR
i have a 257 Weatherby that wears a Leupold VX3 3.5 -10x. that thing was amazing.until i fell off a mountain with the rifle strapped to my pack (on my back)

it hit hard enough to shear a few of the scope ring screws. the scope seem ever so slightly fuzzy to me. i sent it in for a check up, new adjustment caps (mine were crushed) and had them retrofit the CDS hardware. i got it all back. IIRC i paid $160 or so. could be less.

you know what? i think it is still a tad fuzzy!!

when it came time to find a new scope for my .22..i went with Vortex. the scope is perfectly fine for that application. i am drilling single ragged holes with that rifle at hunting ranges..okay 0.5" groups at 50 yards. it is clear..super clear. seems bright enough.

i'll buy a new scope for that .257 later this season..i am in no hurry since i rarely rifle hunt big game. i dont know what i'll get.

I can’t speak for Leupold but i am not pleased with any of my vortex products. The warranty is great but I’ve sent my PST back to them 4 times in the last 3 years for one issue or another. The binos and other scopes have gone back once or twice in the few years that I’ve had them. I just wish they would hold up better over the long term.

gelton

WKR
My opinion - between the two mentioned of course - Spotting scopes and binos Vortex Razors...Rifle Scopes Leupold VX3 or better. Vortex's rifle scopes were too dark and blueish to me.

Still wanting to try the new Sig Whiskey but if the Leupy's addressed their tracking issues it will probably be a VX5 instead.