Anyone prefer a spotter to 15's?

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Is there anyone out there that prefers their spotter to 15's? I'm out west and everyone I hunt with has 15's, me included. There are more times than not that we need a little extra juice to look at something and nobody has any. I'm thinking about trading in my 15's for a spotter and glassing with my 8's or 10's off the tripod until something needs further inspection. Realistically, I find quite a bit more game than my buddy so if I had to, I would take his 15's and make him use his 10's until the spotter needed to come out if he didn't want to use it.

Just curious if there is anybody that hunts the west the likes the spotter more.

dotman

WKR
I really tried to prefer 15's and I do prefer glossing through binos but not having that extended reach left me wanting. I would keep the 15's and just add a Kowa 55mm spotter. It'll allow you to get that extra reach. I sold my 15's awhile ago and 80mm spotter recently, now only have my 10's and 55mm spotter.

Different tools with different purposes so I carry both. But you're dead on with the idea of one person carrying spotter and the other with 15s if you'll be together and really want to lighten your load. I'd feel naked without my 15s though.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with above, they do two different jobs. If they didn’t you would have never asked your question. The 15’s are for finding game, the spotter is for determining if that animal is worthy of the two mile stalk, or for sizing up trophy quality. If you only are after a legal animal, the spotter is not necessary, but if you have a benchmark to determine if said animal is a shooter, you need a spotter.

WKR
I think the general consensus is that for finding game from a tripod, the 15's are the prime option. They fall short for general use, handheld and walking around, and aren't enough to evaluate trophy quality...

In a 3 piece system, little 8's, 15's, and a spotter would be great IMO.

In a 2 piece system for the desert, I can see little 8's and 15's (others will offer more qualified opinions).

2 piece system for the mountains, hard to beat 10's and a spotter.

So, just get 8x30, 10x42, 15x56, and a spotter (65-75mm) and you have the pieces to put together a great system for just about any situation...

In the alpha glass, that should only cost one arm and a kidney.

I had the Cabelas 15's and returned them (sort of regret that) along with the Cabela's 12's (sold them). Now I'm using 11x45 Maven B2's and a Kowa 663 fixed 30x and I'm not feeling limited in any way (optically, or weight carried) for the type of hunting that I do.