Bino and Tripod Adapter Suggestions

Looking for suggestions on the most user friendly binocular adapter / quick release for a tripod. I know there are a lot of options out there but looking for suggestions. Thanks!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most user friendly is the outdoorsman but for the budget minded person the field optics version works well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have used the Outdoorsmans Tripod adapter with the binocular stud for my Nikons and I am VERY happy with how easy it is. It holds the binoculars very steady and you can tighten the tension on them depending on the application.

When you are holding an expensive or even moderately priced pair binoculars, it is good to know that you have them securely mounted.

muddydogs

WKR
Make your own for a couple bucks. I used a chunk of poly cutting board, strap and buckle. weights 4 oz, quick to set up and works with almost any size bino.
i.php

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the Field Optics version for the quick release feature. I was pleasantly surprised how light it was as well. I had been using a pretty basic one that I screwed in and out of the binos each time I set up. It got pretty annoying and I started looking around. I agree with the other posters, the Outdoorsman's would be best, but I found $25 on Amazon a little easier to swallow. So far, it has worked well and is a breeze to attach and detach.

pirogue

WKR
I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL and I've bought and used both the Swarovski brand adapter, and the Outdoorsman brand. The Swarovski may appear flimsy for the price, but it is designed like it should be and that is pivot in the center of the binos. You also do not have to spread the binos (to fit on the adapter), and then readjust for pupillary distance, which I have to do for the Outdoorsman. The Outdoorsmans are strong, maybe faster to install, remove from the tripod, but the designer must have never set and glassed for Coues very long. Since the attachment pin is put into the hinge mechanism on the objective lens end of the binos, that becomes the pivot point. This creates a longer radius to the eyecup, which creates more head,neck, and body lean to scan the same depth of field compared to an adapter that pivots in the center of the binos(longer radius equals greater circumference).

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Will the Outdoorsmans work with any binocular? I’m curious if will fit the new Leupold Santium binos.

Most of the big named brands will as they have a place to screw in the stud. You can also send your Swaro EL's into Outdoorsman and they will fit yours with a stud since it doesn't have a thread for it. You can check your bins under the front cap if it comes off and you see threads it will work. Id check outdoorsmans website and that will give you a good idea if it will work for yours.

Im running Maven 11x45s off a Gitzo tripod also own the Slik 634 but its a bit heavier but taller than my gitzo tripod. Glassing off tripod is the only way I go now.

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
I like to use something that has some give to it. But I'm kind of hard on them. I want the rubber or strap to break not the stud, I keep an extra rubber strap in camp just in case.

dotman

WKR
I like to use something that has some give to it. But I'm kind of hard on them. I want the rubber or strap to break not the stud, I keep an extra rubber strap in camp just in case.

What kind of pressures are you putting on your setup that would make you fear breaking a stud?

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
Tripod tips over, Using the tripod as a single leg setting it up against something rock, tree, ranger then it slides off, need to move quickly stuff in bottom of pack. Just my 2 cents worth. I have never used the outdoorsman it looks like it would work great. I just don't want to take the chance if I break what i'm using I can fix it in the field. And the outdoorsman might be fixable in the field I don't know never had one in my hands.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tripod tips over, Using the tripod as a single leg setting it up against something rock, tree, ranger then it slides off, need to move quickly stuff in bottom of pack. Just my 2 cents worth. I have never used the outdoorsman it looks like it would work great. I just don't want to take the chance if I break what i'm using I can fix it in the field. And the outdoorsman might be fixable in the field I don't know never had one in my hands.
I'm pretty doubtful you could break the stud off without impacting the usability of your binoculars

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

92xj

WKR
It's cheap and easy but I really enjoy this...
Fits a ton of different optics and the main reason I went to this style is that it makes a great shooting rest as well.
Glass up your animal while sitting down, decide you want to shoot, keep sitting, take off binos, slap up gun and the rest (your trip) is already set up at the right height and location for you to take a shot. Makes going from glassing to shooting happen in 2 seconds.
Amazon.com : Snapzoom Universal Binocular Tripod Mount : Camera & Photo