Vortex PST Gen II question and current users impressions

deadwolf

WKR
One of the biggest issues I had with the first gen PST scopes from Vortex was the extreme amount of force it took to turn the magnification ring. I sent one back in and in the end sold both of the ones I had.

From those of you with a Gen II PST, I'm curious to know if Vortex fixed that in the new version, and what you overall impressions of the Gen II's vs the Gen I.

Thanks

One of the biggest issues I had with the first gen PST scopes from Vortex was the extreme amount of force it took to turn the magnification ring. I sent one back in and in the end sold both of the ones I had.

From those of you with a Gen II PST, I'm curious to know if Vortex fixed that in the new version, and what you overall impressions of the Gen II's vs the Gen I.

Thanks

My Father-in-law has a PST Gen2 mounted on his Cooper in 257 Weatherby. I have played around with it for a few days and I would not say that the magnification ring is very hard to turn at all. No more difficult than any other scope I have had my hands on. I felt some scopes at the local sporting goods shop as well (Nightforce, Sig Sauer, Leupold, Nikon and Vortex) and while I think it is easier to turn the magnification ring on a mounted scope, none of them felt overly difficult.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I still run a gen 1 PST on a rig. The mag ring turns with mild force. Many scopes have hard to turn mag rings when the scope rings are over-torqued though. I’m not saying that is what happened to yours. It just happens.

The Gen 2s do seem to have improved contrast at higher magnifications compared to Gen 1s.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I had the opportunity to check them out at cabelas recently and the mag ring is waaaaaaaaaay better than previous models. At one point I owned two, and had two friends each had them, and all of us sold them for the same reasons. I switched to Nightforce after that and couldn’t be happier. But i do have an interest in trying a new one based on what I’ve seen so far. And good to hear the improved contrast at higher mag as well. Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk