Sig Kilo 2400 ABS: Accounting for Temp/Pressure in your profiles?

bought a Sig Kilo 2400 ABS

Setting up my gun profiles.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to input what the environmental factors were when you zeroed the rifle.

The app doesn't know if your 100 yard zero was at sea level or 10,000 feet. If the app doesn't have your zero environmental baseline, how could it possibly tell you how much to correct if you are shooting under environmental conditions which vary from when you sighted in the rifle and zeroed your scope?

I sight my rifle in at 4000 feet above sea level. I hunt at 10,000 feet above sea level. My shots at 10,000 are going to be high.

Strelok Pro (the app I am used to using) has input for the weather conditions when you zeroed the rifle. I don't see anything similar in the ABS software for the Kilo 2400.

I must be overlooking something. There's no way that the software doesn't account for this.

choovhntr

WKR
I think when you build your rifle profile and hit the calibrate button the app puts in the needed environmental factors at that time. Therefore when you sight in your rifle, it’s important to also calibrate the range finder to the app at that time. After that, the app will make the appropriate corrections according to its environment readings.

Never used a 2400 ABS but AB software ive used didnt take atmosphere into account for zero in elevation/windage because it shouldn't make a difference at 100 yards. Only input I've seen zeroed is velocity based on temperature (powder temp) if you use that function.

J8tnub

FNG
If you zero at 100 yards environmentals are negligible. The calibrate screen in the gun profile does not record your environmental data. It is more for correcting large deviations in muzzle velocity or turret errors. You will need to shoot between the distances it gives you on that screen and record the drop.

choovhntr

WKR
If you zero at 100 yards environmentals are negligible. The calibrate screen in the gun profile does not record your environmental data. It is more for correcting large deviations in muzzle velocity or turret errors. You will need to shoot between the distances it gives you on that screen and record the drop.

Good to know. Thanks

Are these rangefinders accurate as a stand alone unit? Or would it be best paired with a kestrel? And can anyone confirm that these will pair up with a kestrel? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericF

WKR
Are these rangefinders accurate as a stand alone unit? Or would it be best paired with a kestrel? And can anyone confirm that these will pair up with a kestrel? Thanks

It depends which rangefinder you are talking about. Currently the Sig 2400 ABS which has the built in environmentals does not connect to a kestrel. However, the Sig 2400BDX does interface with the kestrel. The 2400BDX does not have the built in environmentals or the full Applied Ballistics like the 2400 ABS does. The 2400 ABS is designed as a standalone unit that will provide a solution as far as you can range.

The 2400BDX does have an Applied Ballistics Ultralight solver which will give you a solution out to 800 yards and you can provide environmentals through your phone if you want to use it without the Kestrel. When you connect the Kestrel to it, then the Kestrel provides the ballistic solution to the rangefinder.

It depends which rangefinder you are talking about. Currently the Sig 2400 ABS which has the built in environmentals does not connect to a kestrel. However, the Sig 2400BDX does interface with the kestrel. The 2400BDX does not have the built in environmentals or the full Applied Ballistics like the 2400 ABS does. The 2400 ABS is designed as a standalone unit that will provide a solution as far as you can range.

The 2400BDX does have an Applied Ballistics Ultralight solver which will give you a solution out to 800 yards and you can provide environmentals through your phone if you want to use it without the Kestrel. When you connect the Kestrel to it, then the Kestrel provides the ballistic solution to the rangefinder.

I was referring to the 2400 abs. I was told by somebody at scheels that the newer ones are able to pair with kestrels and am looking for confirmation on that. If not, I’m just wondering how accurate these are compared to a kestrel AB unit. I’ve always used a kestrel in the past and have had good luck with them. If it’s accurate enough to ditch the kestrel, that would be a plus in my eyes for using in hunting situations.

I was referring to the 2400 abs. I was told by somebody at scheels that the newer ones are able to pair with kestrels and am looking for confirmation on that. If not, I’m just wondering how accurate these are compared to a kestrel AB unit. I’ve always used a kestrel in the past and have had good luck with them. If it’s accurate enough to ditch the kestrel, that would be a plus in my eyes for using in hunting situations.

They are good enough to operate without a Kestrel, definitely in hunting situations. Every once in a while I compare solutions between my kestrel and Kilo ABS to make sure nothing is off and so far it has been my fault any time they are.

One thing about the kilo ABS is it does not correct to atmospherics quite as quickly as the kestrel - keep in mind you are carrying it next to your body in a pouch typically and temp doesn't correct immediately.

mt100gr.

WKR
I too compare my 2400 ABS to AB with manual inputs sourced from a Leica 1600B. The solutions are either always the same or the Kilo ends up correct when powder gets burned. I zero at 100 yards.

The stand alone abilities of the Kilo for hunting is the reason I bought it.

I too compare my 2400 ABS to AB with manual inputs sourced from a Leica 1600B. The solutions are either always the same or the Kilo ends up correct when powder gets burned. I zero at 100 yards.

The stand alone abilities of the Kilo for hunting is the reason I bought it.

Glad to hear this! Mine will be here tomorrow. Pulled the trigger on one.

mt100gr.

WKR
Glad to hear this! Mine will be here tomorrow. Pulled the trigger on one.

I cannot imagine you won't like it. Last fall I was monkeying around with my Leica and my phone, trying to get data and put it into my calculator as a coyote hopped around between 720 and 780 yards. Then he'd disappear and show back up at 650. Then 810... I wanted to make a good shot but my buddy is zero help in the tech department. That made my decision for me. I won't take a rushed shot at any distance but if there's a better tool for a job, I'll re-tool. Take your time setting it up and make sure you have good data and you'll love it.

Quick question about truing MV in the sig kilo. My screen is pictured, does this mean I need to verify drop at a range of 1043-1163 and/or 1693 or can it be below that and still provide accurate data?
e72c542d8e148f496a65c290dbc8153e.jpg

Following up here how does everyone like the Kilo 2400 ABS? With the new Sig models out I’m interested in the 2400 for the price.

It seems like a quick way to get a good solution. Just wanting to know how accurate the environmental data is as I use a Kestral drop with a separate wind meter so this would simplify quite a few things for me.

They are great. They’ll be as accurate as the data you put into them. Still running mine. I never did find the answer to that question. I just kept my MV from my chrono, and it’s been accurate all the way out to 1700 yds.

They are great. They’ll be as accurate as the data you put into them. Still running mine. I never did find the answer to that question. I just kept my MV from my chrono, and it’s been accurate all the way out to 1700 yds.

Thank you! That’s impressive in a stand-alone unit. Do you know besides the range if there is any difference between the 2400 and new 8K?

ChrisAU

WKR
I got the new 8k over a used 2400 just for the readout. It’s fantastic. Tons of info in a sharp display that is surprisingly easy to use without being cluttered, and it’s all offered up instantly.

I got the new 8k over a used 2400 just for the readout. It’s fantastic. Tons of info in a sharp display that is surprisingly easy to use without being cluttered, and it’s all offered up instantly.
Awesome thanks for the info! From your research was the 2400 similar besides readout and the ranging distance? That 8K looks pretty incredible. I prefer binos and rangefinder separate still.