Swaro STM 80 HD Questions

OK_hunter

FNG
I have an opportunity to pick up a swaro STM 80 HD with 20-60 eye piece for what I think is a good price. I already have a cabelas branded meostar S2 and I am very happy with this scopes performance. I am hoping someone can give their opinions for the following questions:
1. I have not had a chance to compare side by side, is a 2012 model STM equal to the meopta?

2. What will the weight savings be if I go to the STM? My meopta comes in at 66 oz. I am thinking the STM will be 55ish. Is that correct with the eye piece included?

3. Whats a fair price for a 2012 STM 80 HD in good condition?

I have that exact Swaro scope/eye piece (mine might be a year newer, I can't remember for sure), and with the Swaro soft case and lens caps, it comes in at 63 oz. I don't know what it weighs without the case because that's how I carry it into the field so that's how I weighed it. I've never looked through a Meopta, so can't speak to that, but I have looked through quite a few different high end scopes and I've yet to look through anything that I thought was better than the Swaro glass. I would think that somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000 would be a good/fair price for that scope.

bates

WKR
My atm 80 is 45.8 oz opp that’s just body

Whole thing with the eyepiece and plate is 57.6

Last edited:

AGPank

WKR
I think if you search, there is a review from Matt Cashell aka BitterootBull, of these two scopes. I think he said the Meopta edged the Swaro on performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

OK_hunter

FNG
Thanks everyone. Aside from the modest weight savings it doesn't sound like I will be getting too much more for about $400 price differential (STM price - realistic sell price for the Cabelas/Meopta scope). Leaning towards sticking with the scope I have and putting the money into some 12x50 EL binos. Still listening if anyone can convince me the Swaro upgrade is worth it.

Here’s just my STM 80/20-60 eyepiece.
9c07c59a645f3811a2755b11fcd94ed2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m wrong. I was looking at old pics on my phone

That’s the body weight. Need to add eyepiece

No problem, I just spent months pouring over spotting scopes, so I knew something was off.

Ok_hunter...I think a few of the guys nailed it. I think you'd be spending more to save a little weight and taking the depreciation on your meopta spotter. I could see making the switch if you wanted to go to a 65mm to save a lot more weight, or if you wanted to go to a Swaro ATX/STX series to get the option of multiple objectives and the 1.7 ME adapter. But for what you're looking to do - I probably wouldn't do it myself.