Turret/ Erector Questions

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking for a scope with mid range magnification (~3-18 or so) that weighs about 20 ounces or a tad less. I am normally a Nightforce guy but those scopes are heavy. I was considering a Leupold VX5HD but after looking around on this forum and some others my confidence has been shaken on buying a Leupold/Swaro/Vortex LR HD because most are saying they are not reliable. It seems that for someone looking to spin knobs like crazy you need to stick to NF/Bender/March/Kahles and the like. Are these other lighter scopes really that awful for dialing while hunting? I do use my rifles on the bench so they would get twisting action there as well. I kinda wonder if people are just blowing this out of proportion. Now I did find a March scope that fit the bill pretty well but at $2200 I would rather find a different route if I can.....but I may just have to suck it up and do it. Any other thoughts out there?

Huskemaw is reliable the 4-16 is 22 oz only knock is for some reason the glass isn't always the best. Now alot of people will make the argument that a scope doesn't have to be crystal clear. I have a Tract Toric 3-15 (20 oz) but haven't dialed enough yet to say if it is truly reliable yet or not.

Kotaman had a thread a few months ago searching for the same unicorn and didn't really find it. There have been a few more threads looking for the same specs since. Hopefully the industry will pay attention and within the next year or two realize this is an area of need.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have two Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 LR/T scopes that have been fine so far out to 600. They weigh 19oz. I figure I'll use them until they prove to me that they are unreliable.

I also heard how unreliable QAD bow rests were, but mine has over 30k arrows through it without a single issue. And I'm the one that is usually really hard on gear and find it unreliable or just junk.

OP
J

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I have two Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 LR/T scopes that have been fine so far out to 600. They weigh 19oz. I figure I'll use them until they prove to me that they are unreliable.

I also heard how unreliable QAD bow rests were, but mine has over 30k arrows through it without a single issue. And I'm the one that is usually really hard on gear and find it unreliable or just junk.

Which is exactly what I am getting at.....are these lighter scopes really that unreliable. I really don't mind spending money on Leupold because they are the weight that I am looking for but if the turrets are really that unreliable then what's the point? Its hard for me to believe companies like Leupold and Swaro put out scopes with junk turrets but yet every site I go to had threads with people having "issues". I don't think I have ever read any bad tracking threads for Nightforce, Bender or the likes. It just makes me doubt spending $1000 on a lighter scope.

OP
J

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
If you have doubts get the heavier scope. 6-8 oz isn’t much for piece of mind. Shed weight elsewhere

I know what you mean but it can be a little more than that. I would loose close to 10+ ounces and get a smaller bell as well from 50-56mm to the lower 40's somewhere. I swapped out my Atlas bipod for a Snipepod and that cut about 7 ounces out already. With the smaller bell on the scope I can loose some of the material I use for my cheek weld which would be another 2 ounces. So an overall loss of 19 ounces or so is quite a big difference when all added up.

gelton

WKR
So far the reports are good for the Sig Whiskey 3-15x44 which sig has listed at 21 ounces. My only concern (and probably yours too) is that they are bit new to the market and while they have been reported to dial accurately, I dont think anyone has been able to really put them through the ringer yet.

rayporter

WKR
for those that do not believe a nightforce can fail- here is a group of shooters that just discovered that scopes can be checked.

they all can fail. every single one can fail. I have had a scope checker for 15 years and yes a march or a nightforce can fail. I know folks that have cut high dollar scopes in half to see what's inside that was broke.

Scope testing | Shooters' Forum

Take a look at the Bushnell LRHS it comes in MOA or Mils. MOA is harder to find though I just bought new the other day. 26 oz 42mm objective.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Take a look at the Bushnell LRHS it comes in MOA or Mils. MOA is harder to find though I just bought new the other day. 26 oz 42mm objective.

It’s actual weight is 28 oz and a 44mm objective but yeah it’s a great scope for sure.

stevevan

WKR
Don't worry about some of the reports of "issues" with Leupold and even Swarovski. Both make fine HUNTING scopes. That being said there is a lot to the phrase "you get what you pay for". Personally I have and use both Leupold VX 6HD's and Swaro Z6's along with one of my favorites, Swaro Z5 3-18x44 BT "The sheep hunter" of which I have five. They're all great scopes for my use, hunting. I tried a NF NXS and got rid of it for various reasons as it and some of the others mentioned are great pieces of equipment but more in line for tactical use. Just my 2 pennies.

2five7

WKR
I always wonder if some of the issues with Leupolds stem from them having such a large piece of the market share. We hear more issues about Leupold because there are a lot of them out there, impossible to say what percentage of them have issues.

There is also a difference between accurate tracking, and repeatable tracking. Some high end scopes have both, some other scopes only have one. As long as it's repeatable, you can deal with it being a few clicks off.

I'm tempted to buy a Vx-5HD just to go see for myself what they will do!

It’s actual weight is 28 oz and a 44mm objective but yeah it’s a great scope for sure.

Well shit Im gona have to reconsider these scopes now not sure if I can handle the extra 2oz for the type of hunting I do (typical day I cover about 45 miles with around 20K in elevation. DAMN YOU ;)

I currently own the Leupold VX5HD amd love it. It is light. It is clear. And so far, it tracks remarkably well. I have also used a Zeiss Conquest scope with the Kenton Turret system and was very impressed with it for dialing. If the VX5 ever fails for me, I am going to try the SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope. It is 24 oz for $699 and gets very good reviews.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well shit Im gona have to reconsider these scopes now not sure if I can handle the extra 2oz for the type of hunting I do (typical day I cover about 45 miles with around 20K in elevation. DAMN YOU ;)

Agreed not a big deal just tossing out the info to help folks better compare. I’d still rock it and did all fall....but I only road hunt too ;)