Burris XTR-II for my 6.5-284?

V65Magna

FNG
Guys,

Got a 6.5-284 Norma coming in about 4 weeks and trying to pick out some glass without totally breaking the bank. The Burris XTR II is primarily touted as a tactical scope but I was wondering if any of you are using it in hunting applications and if so, how do you like it? I have 2 Vortex HS-Ts and I think they are pretty decent but I'm thinking that the Burris might be a cut above, and would be FFP instead of the usual second focal plane set-ups I'm used to. It would have the SCR-MOA reticle, possibly illuminated, which would be a plus but not required. I'm thinking I'll keep most "engagements" within 500 yards (this constitutes "long range hunting" for me) so the 3 X 15 will be enough but I have not ruled out the 4 X 20 either. Thoughts?

I have the 4-20 on a RPR. The scr gets real fine on lower powers and the illumination is needed on low light shots against a dark background. Tracks great, tho....

I have the 3-15 XTR2 and it's a great scope. The glass quality some days seems very good and other days I really find it lacking; one thing is for sure, it's not as good as the glass in their old Black Diamond line that they discontinued a few years back.

For the money I don't think you'll find a more solid scope with such great features. If you can get past the fact that it's heavy, and that the glass isn't top notch (although it's plenty good enough) then you will be very happy with it.

2five7

WKR
If you don't need the 34mm tube, check out the Veracity. It's available with the same reticle, uses the same glass, but weighs less and costs less. Basically the hunting version of the XTR

OP
V

V65Magna

FNG
If you don't need the 34mm tube, check out the Veracity. It's available with the same reticle, uses the same glass, but weighs less and costs less. Basically the hunting version of the XTR

Yeah, I was looking at the 4 to 20 Veracity. I want an elevation turret with marked increments, however. Also looking at the Sig Sauer Tango 4 and Whiskey 5. I think I do want FFP (for a change) so the Tango 4 might be an option if I don't go with one of the Burris products. It's mind boggling with all the options out there.

xugz0212

FNG
Try Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15. Has all the features and better ED glass. You can get it in less $650.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
Yeah, I was looking at the 4 to 20 Veracity. I want an elevation turret with marked increments, however. Also looking at the Sig Sauer Tango 4 and Whiskey 5. I think I do want FFP (for a change) so the Tango 4 might be an option if I don't go with one of the Burris products. It's mind boggling with all the options out there.

What do you mean by marked increments? The 4-20 is available with the low, capped knobs (MADS) or tall, capped knobs. I'm guessing the tall version is what you re looking for, part #200640. Looks like it's running about $650.

Yes i have a 5-25 xtr ii and i will never buy another Vortex scope again. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Veracity either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

V65Magna

FNG
What do you mean by marked increments? The 4-20 is available with the low, capped knobs (MADS) or tall, capped knobs. I'm guessing the tall version is what you re looking for, part #200640. Looks like it's running about $650.

Thanks. Sorry, I must be missing something but the Veracity (the one with the tall capped knobs) does not seem to have the MOA increments marked on the turret. Can such a scope be adjusted on the fly for elevation and windage like the XTR-II?

2five7

WKR
Thanks. Sorry, I must be missing something but the Veracity (the one with the tall capped knobs) does not seem to have the MOA increments marked on the turret. Can such a scope be adjusted on the fly for elevation and windage like the XTR-II?

It does if you take the cap off :) I'm not home or I'd send you a pic of mine.