Spotting scope purchase

slack907

FNG
I drew some great tags here in Alaska this year so I am going to upgrade to a new spotting scope. Right now the Leica televid is in the front running but still not sure what would be the right choice between Swarovski,Leica or Zeiss any opinions from the experts on this site?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think you should also consider a Kowa. It would be our pleasure to discuss what would be best for your needs. Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000

Fedster

FNG
There are a few things to consider (such as, would you want to ever use the scope for other stuff, such as birding? who is going to carry the weight of the scope, and of a decent tripod to go with it?), but I'd like to give the following advice. People normally comment on their own scopes, or the few they used, not the one you will actually get. Scopes, even expensive ones, come as average, cherries and lemons. If you are lucky and you get a cherry, you might outresolve the scope of a friend who bought something bigger, heavier and more expensive. So my advice is, check the scope soon after you buy, and return it if it is a lemon. Star test the scope (here is a primer, you might find cheaper ways to make an artificial star: How to star test a telescope | BBC Sky at Night Magazine). Resolution testing with an USAF 1951 chart is so difficult to do for normal people like us that I would not recommend it, but if the scope look good with the star test you have a good scope.

Assuming you check the scope and you can return it, any of the brands you mention (and anything people will suggest) is good enough and then some.

OP
S

slack907

FNG
Sheep hunting would be hunt it's mostly need for but I will use it for all my hunts. I just sold my Leupold 12x40x60 gold ring scope because at long distances it was too blurry to be accurate so I'm ready to step up with the big boys.

Jardo

WKR
I was in your shoes last fall. I wanted the best scope money could buy and I ended up with a Kowa 883 with the newer TE-11WZ 25-60 wide angle lens. The best part is it was less expensive than the Swarovski and it's better glass. I've never regretted the purchase. It's the best available today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For sheep hunting where quality, weight and size mean it all the Kowa TSN-550 series is the best answer. Small and light-weight with the highest optical quality

Wapiti1

WKR
The Kowa 550 is a sweet little scope, but I would recommend the Kowa 663 or a Swaro AS/ATX 65mm instead. Both have a usable 60X. That extra mag may save you from walking closer on a maybe sheep. The weight/size penalty is worth it to me for the extra reach. "I wish I hiked more" said no sheep hunter, ever.

The Leica 65mm would be number 3 on my list, and I would look at the Pentax PF65ED as a wildcard pick. Pentax scopes are very good, but rarely mentioned.

Go with an angled spotter regardless. A straight tube on a sheep hunt would be a neck killer.

Jeremy

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I drew some great tags here in Alaska this year so I am going to upgrade to a new spotting scope. Right now the Leica televid is in the front running but still not sure what would be the right choice between Swarovski,Leica or Zeiss any opinions from the experts on this site?

I am in the same boat as you. I drew a great sheep tag and a great goat tag. I never needed a spotting scope before with the hunting I did, now I need to step up my game.

Beendare

WKR
All of the ones mentioned Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, kowa and I would add the ED glass Nikons are excellent.

I do think the compact scopes like the 50mm Nikon ED are too small....and think a guy really needs the 65mm. It depends on what you are doing with it....the small scopes are fine for a quick look in full daylight- and of course its tempting because they are much lighter. Side by side; that 50mm NikonED vs my 60mm NikonED or the Swaro 65mm....big difference.

But for everything else I vote the 65mm from the top companies [you can't get the 60mm ED Nikon anymore]......there is a significant enough difference in low light and if you spend a lot of time behind one to warrant the larger objective.
>>>--------------->

^ that said....most of my long range glassing is with my 15x60 Zeiss binos on a good Sirui CF tripod.

OP
S

slack907

FNG
I hadn't thought of the Kowa scopes i was concentrating on the big name scopes. I plan on buying my last scope so thats why i am looking at leica or swarovski. I've got the wife convinced i need to spend 3000 otherwise i would never be able to touch a Leica or swarovski. I guess instead of saying its for sheep hunting i need to say its gonna be for all my hunts from sheep to moose and this is my one chance to buy the best scope known to man. I went shopping yesterday here in Anchorage but no one had anything but swarovski's so if nothing pops up at the Great Alaska sportsman show then i will have to order something. Alaska is great but really sucks when it comes to finding different brands to compare all you hear is we can order it.

Russp17

WKR
I hadn't thought of the Kowa scopes i was concentrating on the big name scopes. I plan on buying my last scope so thats why i am looking at leica or swarovski. I've got the wife convinced i need to spend 3000 otherwise i would never be able to touch a Leica or swarovski. I guess instead of saying its for sheep hunting i need to say its gonna be for all my hunts from sheep to moose and this is my one chance to buy the best scope known to man. I went shopping yesterday here in Anchorage but no one had anything but swarovski's so if nothing pops up at the Great Alaska sportsman show then i will have to order something. Alaska is great but really sucks when it comes to finding different brands to compare all you hear is we can order it.

I would count the big four as Kowa, Swaro, Leica, and Zeiss. I also think the Nikon ED glass is top notch. Do yourself a favor and try to find a Kowa. The Kowa scopes do not give up anything optically to the other three. See the review below:
Swarovski ATX85 & Kowa 884 - Rokslide

mcseal2

WKR
I'm very happy with the Kowa 55mm spotter I purchased. I liked it enough I sold my Swaro STM65. To be fair my Swaro was an older non-HD version, but the little Kowa is very impressive. I have not sheep hunted so I can't say if it's enough for that or not. It's enough for me on muleys. The only thing I'll say negative on the Kowa is the field of view is a little smaller than I'd like. Optically it's in a whole different class than the Nikon ED50 I used as my small spotter before.