Opinions on best smaller spotter under 500$

Bones

WKR
The Nikon ED 50 would be the other option, especially with the better eyepiece. I had one side by side the razor, and the razor was clearly better, the vanguard 65 also blew the Nikon out of the water, there was a straight 65 vanguard for $260 that I would have been all over, if I didn't have the best backpack spotter, Kowa 55mm.

I also saw something Doug from cameraland wrote on the Athalon, I believe. May be an option.

With your taste in glass, you have to look at the 55mm Kowa. You won't be happy in the small spotter market until you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xugz0212

FNG
i have the athlon ares 15-45. im very impressed by its compact size and glass. cannot be happier.

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my opticron mm3 12-36x50 ED. I got it on optics planet with eyepiece included for just under 400 dollars on sale. Comes in at just over 28oz. Good small lightweight spotter with great glass.

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There's a few that come to mind depending on what "smaller" means.
The Kowa TSN-500 series is great and about as small as you can get. Athlon makes 2 different Ares series:
7.5-22x50 ED and a 15-45x65 Ed that would be a good choice.
Hawke has their 12-36x50 Endurance ED in a very small unit or the 16-48x68 Endurance ED as well.

Please feel free to give us a call to discuss what might work best for you

golfbum

WKR
I just picked up an Athlon Ares 65 from Doug at cameraland and it seems like a nice spotter.

amp713

WKR
Im running a vanguard Endeavour 82mm HD and there was a rokslide review on the 65mm. May be a good option for you?

mcseal2

WKR
The Kowa is definitely the best, I got the new 55mm and sold my older Swaro 65 because it was so close. I use the spotter pretty sparingly since I started putting binos on a tripod and got Swaro 15x I will usually make myself pack.

I had a Nikon ED50 I used for years before that. I still have it, it's a great spotter for the money. They can be found used or maybe re-furbished in your price range. In that price range I don't think you will beat them especially if you rule out the Vortex. I have mine for sale but unless it sells I'll still pack it when elk hunting. Its lighter than the Kowa and plenty good enough glass to tell if a late season bull is broke up and evaluate him, see if he is worth pursuing. I'm probably not the pickiest elk hunter in the world, but it works great for me. Muleys or antelope I'd prefer the Kowa with it's better glass. The only downside of the Kowa I've found is the field of view is smaller.