Spotting scope for sheep hunting

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't want to hijack the other gentleman's thread, so here are my questions.

Other than weight, do any of you guys see a reason not to go with the 85mm or even the big 95mm objective from the Swaro line? How do you guys feel aboue the Kowa 883?

I don't want to say money isn't an issue, because if I don't have to spend it, and can get the best quality glass at a lower price, then I may just do that.

What I want and need might be two totally seperate options. I would like to get the Swaro BTX 95. Do I need it is the question. Ultimately I want glass that I can use to decide whether or not hiking up after the sheep is worth it. I don't want to be second guessing myself and having to get too close to tell if it's worth the hike.

I've been reading as much as I can, but that doesn't compare to those who have used spotters a lot, and have owned certain models.

I've looked at the Vortex Razor, Kowa, and the Swaro's. At this point, the only difference I know is the price points and that not all glass is created equal.

Also, what tripods do you guys like for hunting and packing in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jimbob

WKR
I posted this same question on the sheep forum. Opinions were varied, some love the big glass and are willing to carry it, others want to save weight and go for a 65mm. The consensus is decide what you like and what works for you.

Of my two neighbours that sheep hunt one uses a swaro ATS 65 mm and the other uses a meopta 20-70x82mm. Both like their glass and both hunt the same place.

OP
CTobias

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
Of my two neighbours that sheep hunt one uses a swaro ATS 65 mm and the other uses a meopta 20-70x82mm. Both like their glass and both hunt the same place.

Even the weight of the BTX with the 95 mm objective isn't terrible. My buddy said if I got that, then I could just sit at the house and decide which one to go after. Haha. If only it were that easy.

I really like the idea of using both eyes with a spotter that I can pack in.

Kotaman

WKR
For me it is not only the weight, but the "packability". I'd never consider packing my 85 Swaro. I would absolutely pack a 65 mm.

OP
CTobias

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I've took my 95mm all over hell and back, it saves me a lot of walking..

What kind of distances are you getting a solid warm and fuzzy when looking at animals? My tag is an any ram tag, but I don't want just any ram. I want to get a full curl and will only resort to the later if it comes down to it.

WRO

WKR
What kind of distances are you getting a solid warm and fuzzy when looking at animals? My tag is an any ram tag, but I don't want just any ram. I want to get a full curl and will only resort to the later if it comes down to it.

Sheep 2+ miles, elk 2.5-3 depending on conditions. I've scored bucks at mile plus out..

I can tell whether or not they're worth a shit to chase with elk at 4+..

Kotaman

WKR

But it doesn’t save a ton of walking over a 65 mm that weighs 20 oz less and is about half the bulk. Carry your 95, but my 85 objective doesn’t leave the truck. The eyepiece does though, when it is attached to my 65mm.

If most of your spotter work is done on the mountain, go 65mm. If most of your spotter work doesn’t require a ton of hiking, go 85 or 95. If you do a bunch of both, do what I did and buy 2 objectives. 🤭

Kotaman

WKR
Even the weight of the BTX with the 95 mm objective isn't terrible. My buddy said if I got that, then I could just sit at the house and decide which one to go after. Haha. If only it were that easy.

I really like the idea of using both eyes with a spotter that I can pack in.

What? The BTX eyepiece weighs almost as much as a whole 65mm spotter! I can’t imagine hauling a 6 lb. spotter up the mountain with me. That’s more than my rifle!

OP
CTobias

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
What? The BTX eyepiece weighs almost as much as a whole 65mm spotter! I can’t imagine hauling a 6 lb. spotter up the mountain with me. That’s more than my rifle!

I would hope that Im still young enough for it not to make a huge difference. I will be weighing my pack once I get all my gear in order and go from there. I should be coming in right around 40lbs dry before I add the spotter and tripod.

skierhs

WKR
I personally run the ATX 95mm swaro. for sheep hunting I would stick with this exact set up. I really like the angle for mountain hunting and the 95 has saved me many miles of hiking. I don’t personally use the BTX so i can’t speak to its usefulness but i think the atx would still be the way to go from handling the BTX at the shop i go to.

dotman

WKR
Why not use the ATX 65mm with the extender? Get you out past the 95mm in zoom and weigh less I would assume.

OP
CTobias

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
Why not use the ATX 65mm with the extender? Get you out past the 95mm in zoom and weigh less I would assume.

Or the 95 with the magnification enhancer! I'm not terribly concerned on the weight. I will be able to handle the extra 2 lbs. I just want to have more than enough glass to save me from hiking any more than I need to. I will get over to the shop to see how they feel in hand weight wise.

OP
CTobias

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I personally run the ATX 95mm swaro. for sheep hunting I would stick with this exact set up. I really like the angle for mountain hunting and the 95 has saved me many miles of hiking. I don’t personally use the BTX so i can’t speak to its usefulness but i think the atx would still be the way to go from handling the BTX at the shop i go to.

How is your eye fatigue after spotting for long periods of time? This is what I'm worried about, as I have never been in a situation where I am using a spotting scope for long periods of time. All my hunting before this has been at close range, and the only time I ever looked through a spotting scope was at the rifle range.

Kotaman

WKR
How is your eye fatigue after spotting for long periods of time? This is what I'm worried about, as I have never been in a situation where I am using a spotting scope for long periods of time. All my hunting before this has been at close range, and the only time I ever looked through a spotting scope was at the rifle range.

No doubt the BTX would be sweet, but the weight penalty for mountain hunting is just too great. I don't spend "tons" of time behind the spotter. Most of my time is spent with 10x Swaros and use the spotter to get a closer look. Others may "search" with their spotter. I don't but to each their own. No doubt if you were "searching" through the spotter, the BTX would be sweet, but man 6 + lbs!

JP100

WKR
Im not a 'sheep' hunter but a Tahr hunter/guide.

I have been using the 65mm Razor for last couple of seasons and this year am about to bite the bullet on the 95mm Swaro.

If you are trying to age animals and really tell whats what the big scopes are just better.

The 65mms will look great on a bright sunny day, but when its near dark, or raining/over cast the big scopes are so much better.

For me its worth the weight as it will save alot of time deciding what animals to chase, and can save that weight in other areas of my gear that is less critical. You have to think bigger scopes=bigger tripod aswell. So its a double penalty on the weight. Yes you can use a big scope on a small tripod, but generally you will want a bigger more stable tripod to get the best out of a bigger scope.

I would not use the BTX, I just think its too bulky, would be great for glassing but you a limited to a fixed power with it. An eye patch can save eye fatigue, but I dont really have an issue with eye fatigue and I glass ALOT.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
The kowa 88mm is an amazing spotter and pretty light for its size. I compared it so my swaro ats 65 and it’s worth the extra weight. The 95 is a little heavy to pack and I believe the 88 is 100 percent as good as the atx 95 I haven’t personally been able to see them side by side but that would be my guess