Tripod for 95mm

JP100

WKR
I am about bite the big Swaro bullet and get the 95mm for this season

What are people using as a good stable tripod for these big scopes??

My current set up is the Slik Sprint Pro II, which is a great tripod and I really like it, I just dont think it will work well with the bigger scope.

I really like Slik as they are bomb proof and pretty cheap.
I like the look of the SH-707E head as it looks small and compact, anyone have one?

Paired with the Pro 500 DX legs, around 2.5kg all up so not light.

Any one sued this combo??

Thanks

The Slik maximum weight capacity is only 4.5 pounds according to their specs.
The best bet, in that price range, would be The Promaster Scout SC426K,which folds down to 18.5" and can handle up to a'most 9 Lbs. The tripod is normally $99.99 and the 6160 Pan Head is normally $49.99. Of course for members of the forum the combination of the 2 would be $119.99. Keep in mind Promaster, which has been very well supported by the members normally comes with a 1 year no fault warranty. We extend that to lifetime on Promaster products. Ask us for the details for outside the USA

Contact me if you have any questions at [email protected]

Have a great day

Fitzwho

WKR
I haven't used your particular setup, but I just picked up a set of Oben CT-2491 tripod legs. I would think with that big scope you will want as stable a setup as possible. Approaching the max weight limit of a tripod isn't going to be stable. The limit on the Oben is 39lbs and it weighs in at 3.5lbs. It's not terribly light, but I can look through binos on it while standing without extending the center pole any, and I'm 6' 5". With the center pole extended it's taller than me without a head on it. I have a little Fotopro that only extends to 48" with a telescoping center pole... Night and day difference.

Fedster

FNG
I use a Sirui R-3213X + VH-10 head (birding!). Very good and very happy, but if you go up the mountains with those, a 95 swaro and gear, and come back with a cape and meat on top of all that, you deserve to have a place in the lord of the rings, or stuff like that. A good solid ball head for the scope would be lighter but you'd still be justifiably in the 'legendary hero' realm.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
The Slik maximum weight capacity is only 4.5 pounds according to their specs.
The best bet, in that price range, would be The Promaster Scout SC426K,which folds down to 18.5" and can handle up to a'most 9 Lbs. The tripod is normally $99.99 and the 6160 Pan Head is normally $49.99. Of course for members of the forum the combination of the 2 would be $119.99. Keep in mind Promaster, which has been very well supported by the members normally comes with a 1 year no fault warranty. We extend that to lifetime on Promaster products. Ask us for the details for outside the USA

Contact me if you have any questions at [email protected]

Have a great day

Im not sure where you get your stats from, the Slik 500 series legs are rated for 13+ pounds and the head is rated to 8.8 pounds, the Swaro 95mm weighs 2.1kg or 4.7lbs, which is around half the rated weight of the head, and well under half the rated weight of the tripod.

Thanks for bringing up pro master, I have never heard of them. Looks to be a very comparable model(legs), pro master does not seem to make a comparable head? Like a 2 way pan head, with a wee 'arm' for driving it. Apart from something like the FH-20 pro head?

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
I use a Sirui R-3213X + VH-10 head (birding!). Very good and very happy, but if you go up the mountains with those, a 95 swaro and gear, and come back with a cape and meat on top of all that, you deserve to have a place in the lord of the rings, or stuff like that. A good solid ball head for the scope would be lighter but you'd still be justifiably in the 'legendary hero' realm.

haha it will be adding some weight to my pack for sure, I think I shall survive(I hope). I like the look of those legs, but I cant stand the twist locks that are on carbon fiber. I like the clip locks as they are faster and easier to use with one hand and a positive open or closed.

Fedster

FNG
haha it will be adding some weight to my pack for sure, I think I shall survive(I hope). I like the look of those legs, but I cant stand the twist locks that are on carbon fiber. I like the clip locks as they are faster and easier to use with one hand and a positive open or closed.

the good thing of the 95 is that is modular, so you can always get the 65 module and a smaller/lighter tripod. Assuming the scope is normal/a cherry, both configurations would probably outresolve your own max visual resolution (mine does! but I am 42), and thus the question would be mostly how much early morning/later evening matter to your glassing.