Binos for kids

mcseal2

WKR
My 2.5yr old daughter came up to me carrying my Outdoorsmans tripod tonight as I was going through some gear asking "What's this". I stuck my 15x binos on it and showed her. She couldn't get them narrow enough to really see but she thought it was cool.

We live on a gravel road and she is always pointing out deer as we go to daycare or to feed cows on the weekends. I think by this fall I might try to find binos that don't completely suck that go narrow enough for her. Nothing great or expensive, but something I can give her when we drive around scouting whitetail and then put away with mine when we are done so she doesn't destroy them. I have an old pair of Steiner Predator 8x30's with the rubber all melted off of them I keep in the Polaris Ranger on the ranch maybe they would work. My Grandma used to have some 4x Bushnell's that didn't have a focus either that would have been about right.

Maybe she needs to stick with the toilet paper rolls I stuck together and wrote Swarovski on for a little longer, maybe I'm jumping the gun on this.

Anyone else have binos for their kids this young?

Zbot

WKR
I got a monocular for mine....easy to use and works great for kids use. Once they start hunting, I'll upgrade them to something else.

AGPank

WKR
Consider some small 8x25, may fit her small hands and IP distance. Once a little bigger upgrade to something like the 8x32 Sightron. Good performance, small, and inexpensive. (Maybe start there). (And keep up the good work)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks for the replys. I hadn't thought of the monocular. The little 8x25 and similar binos I've used I get frustrated with usually, they aren't the easiest to get set right and focus. I have only tried pretty cheap ones though.

I found a pair of Bushnell 4x30 Xtra-wide binos I'm hoping will go narrow enough. They are the new version of the ones my Grandma had. The field of view is almost 900ft at 1000yds. I found them used online for $26 bucks shipped, so we will give them a shot. I'll let everyone know if they are narrow enough. The ones Grandma had were clear and the lack of a focus is less confusing for a young kid I figure.

Interested in this as well. Have a 10 year old that needs some better binos than the $15 tascos, but hard to find ones that get narrow enough, and I want something pretty cheap.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My 13 year old son has been using Leupold Yosemite 6x30 since he was 4 years old. Still going strong. The IPD goes narrow enough for most kids. Optics are surprisingly good.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen this question come up on birding sites and the overwhelming majority of folks suggest the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. I've looked through those and they're great for the price. Good customer service from Leupold, too.

A 6X makes sense to me for kids, too. Less image shake and a wider FOV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a week old, but I went through this with my kids. I went with the vortex raptor 6.5x32 (really similar to leupold yosemite), and it is great for young kids. My only gripe is that they don't have the threaded end for a bino adaptor. I agree with what Redwing said about image shake and fov.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
The Bushnell Xtra wide binos ended up being great for her. She can get them narrow enough and they are easy to hold steady being only 4x. If they survive long enough they will be handy to take to sporting events down the road. Thanks for all the other ideas, I think the low power options are the way to go for youngsters.

Akicita

WKR
I spoiled my grandson with the new Steiner MM 8X25. They fit in my pocket, are virtually indestructible, and once focused they are focused from 20 yards to infinity. That "set it and forget it" feature alone is worth every penny. He loves them.

LostArra

WKR
My 13 year old son has been using Leupold Yosemite 6x30 since he was 4 years old. Still going strong. The IPD goes narrow enough for most kids. Optics are surprisingly good.

This ^^

Standard birthday present for my grandkids. (son inlaw is a birder)

Broomd

WKR
I spoiled my grandson with the new Steiner MM 8X25. They fit in my pocket, are virtually indestructible, and once focused they are focused from 20 yards to infinity. That "set it and forget it" feature alone is worth every penny. He loves them.

Excellent choice...was going to be my recommendation!

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Give them your bino's when they get a little older and then upgrade, what better excuse is there. lol. I gave my 12 yr old my 20 yr old zeiss 10x42 and he thinks he's a king now, plus I got some swaro SLC 10x42's, win win!