Athlon Ares BTR Scope Review, By Ryan Furman

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders, I would like to introduce Ryan Furman.

Ryan grew up in a hunting family and naturally started hunting at a young age. In the early years his hunting consisted mostly of small game and upland birds. Ryan eventually started hunting turkeys and progressed to water fowling. It was not until 2009 that he discovered Western public land. After planning and executing a successful pronghorn hunt in Wyoming he knew his life would never be the same. Ryan's passion for hunting has become a lifestyle. While he prefers rifle hunting due to his love of accuracy and ballistics, he has come to consider himself a trophy hunter and will use whatever weapon necessary to get the tags he desires. Ryan typically spends 30-40 days hunting out of state every year, and he spends every free moment researching hunts, trying out new gear, practicing shooting his bows, rifles, and muzzle loaders, and staying in shape. His goals are always related to being the best he can be with the weapon he has a tag for and being physically prepared for the challenges of hunting the West. In the end the most important thing to him is being outside enjoying life.

Check out Ryan's first Rokslide review: Athlon Ares BTR Scope Review

Last edited by a moderator:

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I love mine! I was having a rifle built by Mike of hells canyon armory, and he recommended this scope. It is a very solid scope for the money.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice review Ryan.

What is the street price and warranty on the Athlons?

The street price is $849.99 for the 4.5-27x50 and $799.99 for the 2.5-15x50.
Athlon offers a lifetime no fault warranty.

Of course as a RokSlide member it would be our pleasure to work personally with you on your purchase :)

FURMAN

WKR
The street price is $849.99 for the 4.5-27x50 and $799.99 for the 2.5-15x50.
Athlon offers a lifetime no fault warranty.

Of course as a RokSlide member it would be our pleasure to work personally with you on your purchase :)

He beat me to it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Crusader

WKR
Thanks for the great review, Ryan. I think I'm about to purchase one of those scopes (from Doug) for my new, Tikka CTR 24" in 6.5 Creedmoor. May I ask, what rings do you have that scope mounted in on your Tikka? And, what is the longest distance do you think I could get with that scope on my rifle, before running out of elevation?

Thanks in advance to Ryan and anyone else who might want to chime in on this.

FURMAN

WKR
It was mounted in Seekins rings on a 20 moa rail. How far you can dial to will depend on your load. My 147ELDM will almost get to 1600 yards with the 20 moa rail and half of the internal scope adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Review mirrors my experience with one last fall through a couple of hunts. Went through a lot of abuse on a quick elk hunt as well and held zero though the whole season. Glass and turrets aren’t fantastic but the mechanics proved worthy of a hunting rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk