Anyone Use a 34mm tube/56mm Objective Scope for Hunting?

Crusader

WKR
Hi guys,

I'm very new to the forum and to longer range shooting, as well. I'm looking for a scope to put on a Tikka CTR 6.5 Creed that will mainly be used for whitetail hunting from elevated blinds as well as occasional longer (600 yards+) range target/steel shooting. I am very interested in the Athlon Cronus, given its features vs. price. I understand why folks use these large tube and objective scopes from the bench; their weight and diameter isn't an issue there. But do any of you guys use scopes of this size on an elk rifle in the mountains, or on a rifle for spot and stalk antelope hunting, or even for whitetail hunting when you may have to walk a few hundred yards to a blind or stand, and is it worth it? These scopes look like behemoths to me and they just don't seem practical for a rifle that is largely going to be used for hunting.

Your thoughts and input are appreciated.

You wont see any love for 34mm tube on here.

More guys on here are using Lightweight fix power or 2-7 & 2.5-8(my fave) type scopes on lightweight rifles. Some guys like the long range stuff but there are other forums that cater to that crowd.

mcseal2

WKR
I have one that I got bought at a great price. It's a Huskemaw 5-30x56 that I nicknamed the Hubbel Space Telescope. I put it on a heavy rifle in 264 Win Mag that I set up just for long range shooting. It is a heavy rifle with a laminate thumbhole stock, Space telescope, tall Harris bipod, and #5 contour Lilja barrel. I mainly built it to shoot steel at distance, but I plan to use it for some of my whitetail hunting in the Midwest and probably some antelope hunting out west. I took a couple deer with it this year. A buck running broadside at 150yds and a doe at 321yds. The heavy sucker swings like my trap gun and worked fine on the running shot.

Positives are that it brings in light better than anything else I have for those hunts when it's cloudy, misty, overcast, and mature bucks make mistakes during the first or last minutes of legal shooting light. I have a VX-6 Leupold 3-18x50 with a 30mm tube, and a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 with a 1" tube to compare it to. Negatives are that it's huge, heavy, and has to be mounted fairly high above the bore. The other negative I could see with mine is that it has to be on 30x for the windage marks to be used. This is fine for target shooting, but hunting sometimes 30x is a disadvantage. This could especially come into play if a second shot is needed and the animal needs to be re-acquired, might have to zoom the scope down to find the animal and then back up if a windage hold is necessary. Also it adds to rifle weight and a heavy rifle is easier to shoot well than a light one. Harder to carry, but I have other rifles if the walks are long.

For your use I don't know if it's worth it. You might have to change or modify your stock for proper eye and cheek positioning on the stock with higher rings needed for the 56mm. I really like mine on the rifle it's on, but I certainly wouldn't want one on every rifle. My 300WM is getting a 3-12x42 Huskemaw right now. It's heavier than what many here would probably like, but I actually want that rifle to be a shade heavier. I also want a really tough reliable scope and I think they are pretty good for a variable. The fixed power guys are onto something, the 6x Leupold on my 22 mag gets bounced around in the truck all year and never seems to need adjusting.

I don't consider myself a long range hunter, but I do like to practice to 600yds often and to 800yds when I can. I try to get closer to shoot game and have only taken a couple animals past 400yds. I do feel that practicing long shots makes me better at closer ones, and that I'm far more comfortable at 250 to 350 than I was before I started shooting further. The guy at the bow shop where I bought my first bow had me shoot a target on a round bale at home at 80yds. He said flaws in your form that might not show up at 30yds will show up there, practicing far will make you better up close. He was right and I think it carries over to rifle shooting.

Kinda got off topic but hope my rambling helps.

Last edited:
I use both a Burris XTR2 and a Kahles K624i on my hunting guns. Are they heavy? Yes. It’s one area where I’m willing to pack some extra weight in my kit. I even packed in a Sig Tango6 3-18 on my muzzleloader. My next rifle will be a little lighter weight and will likely wear my Kahles or a Sig Whiskey5.

B7DD754E-F670-487D-A68A-60C0FC590F0C.jpg

520AFA71-9AC0-43C4-BE3C-CF20F22C46A8.jpg

B2A04818-0C49-4271-98D3-25A7A6439ABA.jpg

Yes, just not on any rifles I carry very far.

For treestand hunting, or horse hunting with minimal day hikes, glassing and long range hunting closer to roads, etc an extra pound is nothing.

The only advantage of that huge tube is for more crosshair adjustment. I cant think of a time i would need that much adjustment. Just extra weight to me. I would never need a 34mm tube