So we hear Ryan has his hands on a FX1000...

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
Just a note to keep track of...and encourage... the review process :)

Sounds like it could be just the thing. I know if Nikon had put zero locks on the X1000 it would have suited my needs well. I can live with FFP to get illumination and zero locks if the tracking and glass is good. Could this be the less expensive LHRSi killer?

From what I read the windage turret does not lock or have a cap in it so it wont be replacing anything for me. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

OP
T

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
From what I read the windage turret does not lock or have a cap in it so it wont be replacing anything for me. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Yeah, that would push me back to the Bushnell LRTS...or waiting for the LRHS replacement

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What are you people doing to have turrets turning so much? Never been an issue for me and I drag my rifles through hells holes often.

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
What are you people doing to have turrets turning so much? Never been an issue for me and I drag my rifles through hells holes often.

For me the problem is scabbards. My turrets have to be low profile and locking or covered. Really limits my choices...

260madman

WKR
For me the problem is scabbards. My turrets have to be low profile and locking or covered. Really limits my choices...

Do you have a cover on your scope or just lens caps? Seems a heavy neoprene cover could prevent the turrets turning.

OP
T

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
LOL, turning hasn't been an issue for me yet--but I have hunted with someone and seem them miss by a good distance because their windage turret got turned a half turn just from being carried (VX-3 without the cap on). To be honest, I'm primarily interested in the zero stops. My actual preference is for SFP for low light/low magnification shots. I just need to get over the idea that one scope is going to do it all for me.

Kotaman

WKR
Do you have a cover on your scope or just lens caps? Seems a heavy neoprene cover could prevent the turrets turning.

Yes, I use a neo cover when I can, but scabbards can be TIGHT and would not trust the neo cover alone. (And more often than not, the scabbard is too tight for the neo cover to be used.)

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a note to keep track of...and encourage... the review process :)

Sounds like it could be just the thing. I know if Nikon had put zero locks on the X1000 it would have suited my needs well. I can live with FFP to get illumination and zero locks if the tracking and glass is good. Could this be the less expensive LHRSi killer?

Ryan has everything.......

Randy

steveptr

FNG
Everyone that thinks locking turrets or capped is better. You don't check your turrets or anything before making a shot?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Everyone that thinks locking turrets or capped is better. You don't check your turrets or anything before making a shot?

Folks check their turrets but what can happen (it's happened to me) is I looked down at my turret which I had to cap off of that was dialed up 1/4turn and I dropped it back to zero and then proceeded to miss 2 shots before I realized it had actually dialed DOWN 3/4turn and I finished off that revolution so I was shooting a full revolution low. That is why folks like zero stop, locking, or capped turrets. If the windage isn't capped or locking the same thing can happen even if the elevation has zerostop.

steveptr

FNG
Folks check their turrets but what can happen (it's happened to me) is I looked down at my turret which I had to cap off of that was dialed up 1/4turn and I dropped it back to zero and then proceeded to miss 2 shots before I realized it had actually dialed DOWN 3/4turn and I finished off that revolution so I was shooting a full revolution low. That is why folks like zero stop, locking, or capped turrets. If the windage isn't capped or locking the same thing can happen even if the elevation has zerostop.

I understand that. Ive done it. I don't blame the equipment for my mistake. But that's also half of knowing your equipment. I prefer zero stops don't need locking turrets. But they are nice and I like mine on the razor.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The snow has slowed me down on this one. I’ve been waiting to really stretch her out, should happen this week. I already ran it through a TT test and a box test. I’ve ran it up to max and back to zero well over a hundred times. Will I recommend a LR scope under a $1000 bucks?.......
a9f2dd5a7a7b4cb20f73a1f486f9ffbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
The snow has slowed me down on this one. I’ve been waiting to really stretch her out, should happen this week. I already ran it through a TT test and a box test. I’ve ran it up to max and back to zero well over a hundred times. Will I recommend a LR scope under a $1000 bucks?.......
a9f2dd5a7a7b4cb20f73a1f486f9ffbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh boy oh boy

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
Looking forward to your review, Ryan. My guess is if you ran it up and down 100 times you didn't have any issues? I haven't used the BLACK FX1000 scope but love the clarity and function of the BLACK X1000. For a recreational shooter it has worked great for my needs.