Pick My Scope For New Custom Build

WYCFM1

WKR
Night force SHV FFP 4-14x50 zeroset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WYCFM1

WKR
Or Night force SHV 4-14x56. Awesome glass. Outstanding eye relief for quicker shots. Scope tracks very well. USA made.

Or Night force SHV 4-14x56. Awesome glass. Outstanding eye relief for quicker shots. Scope tracks very well. USA made.

Nightforce shv' s have 3.15-3.54" of eye relief, per their website. Overall, that's pretty short and is the reason I personally have decided I will not own one of those scopes. Lots of other manufacturers putting out products at this price point in the 3.7-4" eye relief range. Additionally, and not really germane to anything, the shv line appears to be made in japan, not the usa.

OP, good luck with your scope decision, there's a ton of options on the market right now, and like you I am struggling to decide which one I want to buy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WYCFM1

WKR
Hey I’ll be danged they are Japan built! Discouraging!...no I’m kidding. These scopes are good past 1000 yds. I know two guys with these scope in the 5-20x56 and personally have zeroed a 30 nosler with one. I love them SHVs. They are an excellent scope.

excaliber

WKR
The new Leupold VX-6 HD's are supposed to have a more robust erector system. All I know is the erector system on my VX-3 had to be sent in for repair. I know the VX-3 is a much lower quality line. I'd like to try a new VX-6 HD but the price makes it hard to give it a go.

There really isn't any choice for very good glass, light weight and solid repeatable dialing. If someone could make such a thing under 1500.00 they would own the market.

HookUp

WKR
I'd look at Burris XTR or Veracity. N o issues dialing can be had for $600-$1100 reviews are stellar.

The VX-5HD, VX-6HD and new Mark 5HD are excellent scopes, made in USA except for imported glass.
I’m shooting to 400 yds with my 5HD, repeatable so far. I’ll be taking it to 1000 later this spring.

wildcat33

WKR
I wont try to steer you one way or the other, but if you do decide to go the Leupold way, Warpig over on 24hr campfire has the VX5HD 3-15 with firedot reticle for around $775. I bought one for my custom 308 and for me its been flawless. I think its a great weight vs price vs quality value in a HUNTING scope. I dont shoot matches with it and i dont shoot 1k. If i did I would probably pay the weight penalty (and 2x to 3x price) and go the NF route.

R H Clark

FNG
With that budget,on a great custom rifle I would buy either the Nightforce NXS or get one of the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 scopes that GA precision has coming on sale for $750. My choice would depend on the weight I could live with and if I had to have a FFP. There's no way I would trust a Leupold to repeatably dial. Yes,it might work a few times but it isn't built for dialing like a NF LRHS or SWFA.