Pick My Scope For New Custom Build

So I'm building a new 6.5 PRC on a Tikka action, 26" Proof carbon barrel w/custom brake and carbon fiber stock. I'm trying to build the lightest rifle I can but I can't budge on the 26" barrel. I'm leaning toward a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18X44 Firedot but I'm just curious what scope you guys would put on this? The weight of the scope is very important to me. Use is primarily long range muleys out west and my budget is $2,000 max.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
Great scope for the weight. Great glass good magnification range for hunting. I say go with the Leupold. I’ve shot an nxs and an atacr and I think the Leupold is a better hunting scope for the weight

The Beard

WKR
shooting over 800yds? why the 18x?
400-500 yds+/- a lightwieght leupold in the 2 or 2.5-8x should be adequate on big game - and save 8oz
work up a load, chrono, and add custom turrets.

The Beard

WKR
...and save well over $1000
those VX-6HDs are nice but MSRP almost $1900

Jon Boy

WKR
Around 1k max probably?
Your asking a lot for a scope that will track consistently at those ranges and to be light weight. Only thing coming to mind in that price range would maybe be a husky and I still wouldn't consider them light weight.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

OP
U
Your asking a lot for a scope that will track consistently at those ranges and to be light weight. Only thing coming to mind in that price range would maybe be a husky and I still wouldn't consider them light weight.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

So that Leupold won't track well near 1k?

idig4au

WKR
Not so sure I would go with a Leupold. Not a fan of their glass nor reliability. Some guys love them, and that great, but I'm not one of them.

What about a Swaro Z5 with a BT? I think they are around 16 oz.

You might be able to find a close out on the Swaro Z6 2.5-16x44 with a BT for less than 2k. It weighs a few oz more and has HD glass. I have several of them and they are excellent.

I like lightweight guns as well and have built up several custom mountain rifles trying to cut every ounce that I can. But if your scope fails or doesn't perform well, then your hunt could potentially end in failure or frustration. I prefer to not sacrifice reliability and optical performance by going with cheaper lightweight glass. Buy the highest quality of glass you can afford and don't try to cut ounces in the rifle scope.

OP
U
Not so sure I would go with a Leupold. Not a fan of their glass nor reliability. Some guys love them, and that great, but I'm not one of them.

What about a Swaro Z5 with a BT? I think they are around 16 oz.

You might be able to find a close out on the Swaro Z6 2.5-16x44 with a BT for less than 2k. It weighs a few oz more and has HD glass. I have several of them and they are excellent.

I like lightweight guns as well and have built up several custom mountain rifles trying to cut every ounce that I can. But if your scope fails or doesn't perform well, then your hunt could potentially end in failure or frustration. I prefer to not sacrifice reliability and optical performance by going with cheaper lightweight glass. Buy the highest quality of glass you can afford and don't try to cut ounces in the rifle scope.

I was looking at the Z5 also but the Ballistic Turret on the top looks confusing to me? I'll look into that one a bit more cause I love Swaro glass, thanks alot for the post!

KurtR

WKR
Light weight and tracks is gonna cost. The two i would really like to own are the tangent theata 3-15 or the NF atacr 4-16.

WKR
Which is more important when you are 4 miles in on a hard to get tag? Lightweight or reliable? I went reliable and mine weigh 21-31 ounces.

OP
U
Which is more important when you are 4 miles in on a hard to get tag? Lightweight or reliable? I went reliable and mine weigh 21-31 ounces.

That’s an excellent point. Interesting that most don’t like the reliability of the VX6? They’re pretty expensive so that’s a red flag. Thanks a lot guys for the input

WRO

WKR
Id look at the GAP close out LRHS scopes, x5 demo in 3.5x18, and March scopes.

No suggestions?

Sorry, you seemed very weight conscious and I don't have a lot of confidence shooting that far with a light rifle or light scope.

Ill give a list of the typical sub 30oz scopes recommended for people who want reliable tracking and return to zero: nightforce SHV or 2.5-10 NXS, bushnell LRHS/LRTS, vortex AMG (hoping for a 3-18ish version soon), SWFA SA, huskemaw, and March (was disappointed with the one I had but they do have some upsides).

The new leupy mark 5 has potential but it has to prove the erector will be better than mark 4 or mark 6 models. New Nikon model is getting hyped but it's still a made in phillipines scope that I would hold skepticism about until proven.