Is a Big 3 65mm going to be better than an 85mm middle class?

amp713

WKR
So I picked up a vanguard 82mm, I couldn't afford something like a swaro or maven but also knew the first 2/3 of your zoom is most useable. I figured going with the middle class spotter in a higher glass would be sort of like having a 65 high end. Obviously this isn't an exact comparison just as far as budget use for long distance viewing.....

Anyway, lately I've been debating trying to trade my high end AR for a high end 65mm spotter. However I've really liked being able to reach out 4 miles and check things out with this 82mm... Man is it heavy though at 4 lbs 5 oz. Is the higher quality 65mm glass (AR is worth about 1500, hope to get 300 ish out of the 82mm so we are talking that sort of a price range) going to be more useable with its smaller size but higher quality glass?

I realize this is a hard question to answer without having set them side by side and comparing, but I want to know if the weight lost as well as the quality gained is going to be worth it or if I should save my ass off for a big 3 80mm.

Also if anyone reads this and is near Utah and interested in an AR let me know ha

I can't remember the specifics but I have seen people post reviews of mid range 85s and they said they performed equal to to alpha 65s. It may have been the Cabelas 85.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I can't remember the specifics but I have seen people post reviews of mid range 85s and they said they performed equal to to alpha 65s. It may have been the Cabelas 85.

That's kind of what I'm leaning too. Plus the weight saved. I don't have the money for a top of the line one but I'm willing to sell some guns to get it. I'm to that point that I think it's a higher priority than an AR I shoot once a year and have 2k wrapped up in.

2five7

WKR
I've compared my 85mm razor next to a new swaro 65 several times. The swaro is better even in bright daylight.

AndyB

WKR
I've compared my 85mm razor next to a new swaro 65 several times. The swaro is better even in bright daylight.

I've just dropped the coin on a 65 swaro today, should get it in a day or two..............you've no idea how this has eased my buyers remorse, :)

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Viper HD 80mm scope, then upgraded to a Razor, and finally last year upgraded to a Swaro ATX 65. The clarity of the Swaro compared with the other two is noticeably better. While the Razor was a good scope for the price I got it for, it's performance declined as a person would turn up the power. The Viper I could only use up to about 35x before the image would darken and at max power it was like looking through a welding mask. My ATX I can use all the way through it's power range and the eyepiece is a lot more user friendly.

2five7

WKR
I've just dropped the coin on a 65 swaro today, should get it in a day or two..............you've no idea how this has eased my buyers remorse, :)

I've never heard anyone actually regret buying any swaros, especially once you get to use them in the field!

I will be selling and upgrading when funds allow, the spotter is the last piece to complete my swaro trifecta.

Last edited:

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned the razor 85 gold ring 65 swaro 65 and the prominar 88. The swaro is a lot better optic than the razor. The gold ring is a great backpacking scope compact and only 34oz. The prominar 88 is an amazing piece of glass. You won’t be disappointed with the 65 swaro. Just try and never look through an atx 95 or prominar 88 and you will save a chunk of change

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I compared my almost 20 year old Zeiss 65 to a brand new Leica APO 82 this summer over 4th of July at a cabin we were renting out at Yellowstone. I found a moose rack hanging on a garage a stupid distance away. I mean miles. I could count all the points with both. I lost about 10 minutes to the 82; I’ll take that no problem for the portability. I’d not mess with one other than Leica, Swaro, or Zeiss top of the line. I’ve not tried the Kowa. It really is worth saving for the best when you are dealing with a spotter. You want that to save you miles and miles of walking. You don’t want to carry that if it is not going to show you what you need. We were 6 miles from the ram in my avatar and could tell there were rams there that needed a closer look. That’s a lot easier than climbing 3 miles to decide the same thing.

I’ve not compared a Vortex but I’d imagine it would be the same disappointment others have had when comparing Leupold, Pentax, or Nikon to my Diascope. I’ve compared it to Swaro as well; any of those three are money to my eyes.

AndyB

WKR
I've never heard anyone actually regret buying any swaros, especially once you get to use them in the field!

I will be selling and upgrading when funds allow, the spotter is the last piece to complete my swaro trifecta.

Same here 2five7, it will round off my optics, I know I wont regret it. I went the cheaper route with my first binos, after two pairs I eventually got a set of swaros, after that I just saved as long as it took for my other pair, same with the spotter.

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Swaro ATS 80 HD and a Kowa 55mm spotter. The little Kowa does amazingly well for it's size. That might be another brand to consider, might save a little money over the Swaro. Swaro glass is awesome I run 15x Swaro binos and the big Swaro spotter, but it's not the only great one out there.

snakelk

WKR
Another option to consider would be to buy a Meopta S2 82mm (or rebranded Cabelas Euro). These can be found for $1350-$1600 and for that you'll get a high end 80 mm with a fully useful power range. There's one in the classifieds now.

I was able to compare one side by side with several other spotting scopes, including a Swaro 65 and Razor 85, and the Meopta was tops. I haven't looked through a Kowa or other Swaro's, and I'm sure they're excellent glass, but I think anyone who's used a Meopta S2 would tell you it ranks right up there with some of the best.

I had a razor 50, 65 and 85 and got rid of all and upgraded to the swaro sts with a 25-50w eyepiece. The swaro spanks all of them on every level. clarity ,brightness, sharpness, durability, quality of build, ability operate in adverse conditions, weight. I am sure I'm missing more, but in short, I am very pleased with mine.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I tested a bunch of spotters very extensively at the retailers and walked away with a Leica Televid 65mm. It has a "pop" to the image that isn't replicated by any cheaper 85mm including the Razor. I also like the image a bit better than the Swaro, as have a number of reviewers but for some reason the Swaro gets all the love on most hunting forums.

Instead of relying on a forum I strongly recommend going to a well equipped retailer with a couple of tripods and do some side by side testing. Pick a slow retail time like a Wednesday morning when there is little shopping pressure and if possible go outside. I did this and have never regretted the purchase. I know I have the best available instrument as measured by my eye.

NDGuy

WKR
I struck gold on that A M A Z O N "deal" for the new Viper HD 20-60X85. I will report back when I test it out.

Ronb

WKR
The leica is nice for sure, but its quite a bit heavier then the ats line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk