Current vs new setup

deadwolf

WKR
I am considering an upgrade to my binoculars which has led me down the rabbit hole of “I could go this route, or I could go that route”, and now here looking for input. Or maybe, just by typing this out and reading it back will make my decision for me.

Right now I am using a set of Vortex Razor 10x50s, paired with a Leica 2000b, both of which have served me well...until I looked through a friends Swaros last year on a hunt in Idaho. They were nice, really nice, and I think we all know that.

Now my debate lies in whether to buy 10x42 EL or 10x42 EL ranges. I’ve perused the Swaro site, and read reviews and posts on both, and know that the Ranges do not have the same coatings as the regular ELs and that perhaps, someone with fantastic eyesight will be able to tell the difference. I also know that the EL ranges will not range inside of 33 yds. Not super critical for me, but still, when compared to the Leica Geovid HD-B Edition 2200’s, they fall short in that regard. So basically I’m sitting here with options

Option A, get the Swaro ELs and stick with my Leica 2000b rangefinder (it would be nice to have both capabilities in one package, and streamlined, but not critical)

Option B, go for the Swaro EL ranges

Option C, jump on a pair of Leica Geovids HD-B Edition 2200 which are on sale in a few places right now. (I have no experience with these and haven’t looked through a pair but everything I’ve read states they are beyond outstanding)

I don’t suppose there’s anyone else out there who has been through this dilemma and tried out both the Swaro EL range and Leica Geovids?

What to do?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

handwerk

WKR
In the past I've had the EL Ranges and really liked them, but sadly, I am very right eye dominant and had issues at times reading the yardage readout so I sold them.
I currently have the EL SV 8.5x42's to my eyes the best view of any bino I've used.
Having said that my main hunting bino is the Leica Geovid HD-R 10x42, the non open bridge style, in image quality they are right on the heals of the swaros and the rangefinder has proven to be accurate and dependable. I've had Geovids on and off for many years and always come back to them, I feel pretty content, and enjoy having one tool doing two jobs.

IMG_0270.jpg

bates

WKR
i go through this about once a year myself. i currently do not have range finding binos but i will say buying el's was one of the best decisions i have ever made.

not to make things more confusing but i would give the new Zeiss RF binos a serious look, i haven't seen them yet but they look really impressive on paper at least.

i think if i just rifle hunted i would buy range finding binos in a heart beat but bc i also bowhunt ive resisted to this point....good luck

CorbLand

WKR
If you are looking for a pair of binos with a rangefinder in them, get EL Ranges. I think that the Swarovski glass does beat the Leicas but its very, very close. The EL line has a few extra coatings and field flattening prisms which really does help dramatically with edge to edge clarity. I would suggest looking through them as some people find that feature to give them a fish bowl effect.

If you want a rangefinder with binos, then get the Leicas HD B. For them being on sale, its really hard to pass them up. I think that the Leicas rangefinder technology is better than Swarovski. Especially when you are talking about the HD B model with its ballistic capabilities.

Take my experience for what its worth. I am color blind and can't read any rangefinders with a red readout so I have no field experience with either.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If you are looking for a pair of binos with a rangefinder in them, get EL Ranges. I think that the Swarovski glass does beat the Leicas but its very, very close. The EL line has a few extra coatings and field flattening prisms which really does help dramatically with edge to edge clarity. I would suggest looking through them as some people find that feature to give them a fish bowl effect

Just to clarify, the EL range does not have a field flattener in the eyepiece or HD glass in the objective.

The HD-B is better corrected optically from what I’ve seen.

The newest Zeiss is packed with tech, but I will need to really use them to find out just how good they are.

elkguide

WKR
I have used both the Swaro and Leica RF binos in the field and the difference really is minimal and dependent on your eyes. They are nice but maybe I'm just stuck in my ways. I still carry my Swaro 10X42 EL's and am anxious for my Nikon 7i RF to die so I can upgrade to the Sig 2200.

WRO

WKR
Just buy the regular EL's and keep your RF, There isn't a set of RF bino's that are in the same class optically as the EL's, Noctovids, Victories etc..

CorbLand

WKR
Just to clarify, the EL range does not have a field flattener in the eyepiece or HD glass in the objective.

The HD-B is better corrected optically from what I’ve seen.

The newest Zeiss is packed with tech, but I will need to really use them to find out just how good they are.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

AGPank

WKR
I have more glass than I should right now and picked up a pair of Geovid HD-R on sale. I haven’t spent enough time behind them to give an impression of them beyond ergonomics. Check a pair out first before buying. They feel much more substantial than a typical 42mm bino. Heavier and bigger barrels.

For the price picking up the Geovid HD-R seems tough to beat for a 2-in-1 package.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Just buy the regular EL's and keep your RF, There isn't a set of RF bino's that are in the same class optically as the EL's, Noctovids, Victories etc..

This is kind of where I'm leaning and the main reason I started the thread. The Swaro El's would leave me set for life, save for getting a pair of 15's someday.

AK_hunter

FNG
I would go option C. I have the older version of the Geovids and they’re awesome. Is Swaro glass better? Probably, but not worth the price difference when you find the Leicas on sale, which they are quite often.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

I agree. Paying more money for lesser glass when you already own a great RF seems silly to me, unless you wanna roll with a Bino/RF combo badly.

nrh6.7

WKR
Like you said, the EL's would leave you set for life. I would have to guess that tech changes more quickly on range finders, plus the chance of something going wrong with them. Keep your RF and get the EL. I also wondered (have never tried) if trying to quickly range with one hand would be a problem due to their weight and size, while a stand alone would be much easier.

WRO

WKR
This is kind of where I'm leaning and the main reason I started the thread. The Swaro El's would leave me set for life, save for getting a pair of 15's someday.

Buy a set of 12x50 EL's, then you won't need a set of 15's and they'll cover the need for 10's as well.

I've and both versions of the geovids and the EL ranges on hunts in the last couple years. I wouldn't step down to Rf glass after running the 12's.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
They don't suck from my limited time with them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Saw a sample at the Expo, and it certainly has my interest, both optically and feature-wise. The show floor is not the place to come to any sort of conclusions though.