Swarovski SLC

ericl33

Lil-Rokslider
I am hoping to pick up a used pair of Swarovski SLC before next fall. I have only tried the non hd models. Are the newer hd's significantly better?

Thanks

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
I am hoping to pick up a used pair of Swarovski SLC before next fall. I have only tried the non hd models. Are the newer hd's significantly better?

Thanks

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Yes.. My favorite are the first gen hd over the new model.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
I'm also interested. It seems everyone has this same opinion
I think they have better edge to edge clarity and I like the glass a fuzz better. They're very close to the els. But they literally cost 200.00 less than the els when they were out.

The new ones are great, don't get me wrong, but the old model is a great value

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AGPank

WKR
Let’s clarify on models.
SLC NEU - non HD, are highly regarded glass. Find a review on Rokslide by Matt Cashell, said they were similar to the Meostar HD if I remember correctly.

SLC HD - first generation SLC HD (biggest difference aesthetically from current is the armor, EL style, firm, but black on inside of barrels). These retailed for about $2200, many say are better than current models. I had a pair of 8x42 and loved them. I sold them to try EL 8x32.

SLC (current) - HD glass, but not indicated in naming. Retail price dropped to $1700. Different green armor. Different close focus. SONA says that’s it, but some have said something else made up the cost savings. I haven’t seen these to comment on them.

I’m not sure which model the OP was referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like the older SLC HD over the newest SLC, too. But only because I liked the older armor and focus mechanism. The newer focus mechanism is simpler and less expensive.

The optics are identical: same formula, same elements in the same order.

Any noted differences in optical performance are likely to be accounted to sample variation, not design or construction.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new focus wheel has a tendency to stick a bit when it run to the extreme end of focus. Not a big deal on another bino but these are Swarovski so it frustrates me when I do it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wjarrell

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know if the new SLC HD model is significantly better than the NEU non hd SLC but if you can find a good deal on either thats what would base my decision. I found a good deal on the SLC HD model and so thats what I just bought, I should receive them this week.

SwampBone

FNG
I have no experience comparing Swarovski binos. But I just picked up a pair of the older SLC HDs from eBay. Thanks to a fellow rokslide member (wannakillabigbull) who put the link on gear deals. Coming from Vortex vipers it almost brings a tear to my eye when I look through them. Buy the best right away so you dont have to go through the trouble of selling your old stuff!

wildcat33

WKR
My understanding when I bought my SLC HDs (previous gen with black on bridge) was at that time Swaro was marketing the SLC towards hunters and ELs towards birders with slight differences (I prefered the SLCs because they easily accept stud). The price was nearly the same, suggesting that the market structure was two high end products geared towards different end users. The way I see it now Swaro has changed their marketing somewhat to offer high (EL/ATX) and mid range products with the new SLC/ATS filling the "mid" range.

To offer the SLC as at a "mid" range (if anyone considers 2k a mid range price point) they economized the focus mechanism and increased the min focus distance. My feeling is the armoring on the new ones feels a little cheesier than previous and compared to ELs, so maybe they cut cost a little there. So I agree with others about preferring the previous gen SLCs for those reasons.

Trial153

WKR
I have had both the versions of the SLC’s, (the HD’s and now the newest version). Other than cosmetics I couldn’t tell any difference at all. I kept the newest version in 10x42 and sold the HD’s. I would buy whichever you can get the best deal on.