Spotting scope/tripod that wont break the bank

freshta

WKR
I will be hunting Muleys this year with my rifle and I've been looking for a spotting scope/tripod combo that won't put me in the poor house but at the same time does the job pretty well. I make one trip a year out west to hunt so most likely the system will sit in the gear locker until same time next year so I can't justify a major purchase.

Thanks

elkguide

WKR
As much as I hate saying skip a year hunting, I'd skip a year going west and put the "saved" money into good optics.
Good optics will be with you for many years and will definitely pay their way.

Don't know your budget but the cabelas krotos have gotten good reviews. Just get an aluminum Sirui or promaster tripod for much cheaper than the carbon ones. Should have a decent setup for less than $1k easy which seems to be budget friendly around these parts compared to people's $4k swaros.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be our pleasure to discuss different options with you. There's great quality optics available in your price range from Hawke, Athlon, Minox, Vanguard, to name a few and of course we can assist you with a tripod as well.
Give us a call if you have a few minutes to chat, 516-217-1000

Gonewest

WKR
Don’t skip a year hunting out west just to buy slightly better gear. We only have so many seasons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

freshta

WKR
You got that right. I definitely ain't getting any younger.

wildcat33

WKR
As much as I hate saying skip a year hunting, I'd skip a year going west and put the "saved" money into good optics.
Good optics will be with you for many years and will definitely pay their way.

Im looking for a reefer emoji but not finding one.

I bought a Viper 65mm and a Celestron tripod. It's a budget setup but will glass pretty darn well for +/- $700. I hunt mostly for elk and just need to see that an animal is mature so I think it fits my needs well. I can see clearly for at least 3 miles. I'll upgrade the tripod at some point because it's a little older and there's better options under $200.

frankrb3

WKR
What do you have for binoculars? I would recommend just getting your tripod this season and mounting your binoculars on them and then getting the spotting scope next season. I am still always amazed how effective glassing with binoculars off of a tripod is.

Jimbob

WKR
I bought a sirui A1005 from camera land. Then I removed the very nice ball head and put it on my wife's camera tripod (she liked the upgrade). Then I bought a befree pan head. Very nice set up that is not top of the line price but functions well.

Then I went with the Krotos scope because the sale was so good.

I am happy with the price vs performance of this set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some great tripod options that are under $200 from Manfrotto, Promaster and Sirui. Give me or Neil a call and we can help you out

Joel

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
What do you have for binoculars? I would recommend just getting your tripod this season and mounting your binoculars on them and then getting the spotting scope next season. I am still always amazed how effective glassing with binoculars off of a tripod is.

This is a great suggestion. A good tripod, and a set of Swarovski SLC 15x56's can go a long ways. I almost never use my spotter.

Looking to purchase the Vortex Pro GT for my spotting scope, curious if anyone has good reviews on it. I found one here, just looking to see if its good quality. Thanks!

I have it and it's pretty good, the max height on this thing is actually kinda great. While digging on the internet, I found this blog that goes over the best tripods for spotting scopes/hunting. Out of the 10 the author mentions, I own the Vortex Pro GT, Bushnell Titanium Tripod and I'm thinking of getting the Gitzo Lightweight Series 1. That's actually how I stumbled on this blog because they wrote a review on it. I think you might be able to find something because they cover a decent budget range for everybody.

rfertig

FNG
I have had a couple different spotting scopes (first a low-end Nikon then a Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85). I use the Vortex from my house daily (I have great views of the mountains a couple miles away from my living room), but I've never really been able to see the advantage when I'm actually hunting. More often than not, I can spot just as well or better with my binoculars (Zeiss Victory FL* 10x42). Maybe the spotting scope makes them look bigger if I were the type to evaluate tine length, etc., but I don't find that it helps me spot better. Also, the issue that I've frequently run into with spotting scopes at long distances where the spotter should outperform the binos is that the atomospheric conditions are just not good enough to use their full potential (heat waves, etc.).

In short, I suggest getting a really good pair of binos, maybe with a tripod. I'll keep packing my spotter on my hunts because all the "cool kids" do, but it will probably stay packed in my truck for the entire hunt.

I have it and it's pretty good, the max height on this thing is actually kinda great. While digging on the internet, I found this blog that goes over the best tripods for spotting scopes/hunting. Out of the 10 the author mentions, I own the Vortex Pro GT, Bushnell Titanium Tripod and I'm thinking of getting the Gitzo Lightweight Series 1. That's actually how I stumbled on this blog because they wrote a review on it. I think you might be able to find something because they cover a decent budget range for everybody.

I would not go with the Gitzo at its price point. I would 100% go outdoorsmans.