Spotting scope help less than $2,000

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
Okay guys I need some help here. I was pretty set on a Vortex Razor HD 85 in angled. But now I have been looking at a Meopta Meopro HD 80. What say you guys? I would like the Swaro glass obviously but I can’t justify the cost right now. That being said, I need a scope. I live and hunt in south-central Alaska and this scope would be used to hunt everything. I’m not an avid sheep or goat hunter but it wouldn’t be out of the question . Primarily caribou, moose, bear, etc. help please!

My Meostar s2 was less than $2k delivered new, obviously can find them cheaper yet used in the classifieds.

$2k is about the going rate for a used Swaro 65 Ats with the 20-60 eyepiece.

I haven't been able to look through the Meopro spotter, but I have the binoculars. I think they are great. I have a buddy with the Razor and it is a very capable spotter. Are you able to look through both at the same time? If so play with both for as long as you can. Eventually you will pick one over the other. How soon are you looking to buy?

I would personally skip over the Meopro and go straight to the S2. On a good sale you can get them under $2k and used they are often around $1600. For $2k and under I don’t think they can be beat.

OP
tbone131

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
I would personally skip over the Meopro and go straight to the S2. On a good sale you can get them under $2k and used they are often around $1600. For $2k and under I don’t think they can be beat.

It looks like the S2 doesn’t come with the eyepiece. Is that correct?

OP
tbone131

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been able to look through the Meopro spotter, but I have the binoculars. I think they are great. I have a buddy with the Razor and it is a very capable spotter. Are you able to look through both at the same time? If so play with both for as long as you can. Eventually you will pick one over the other. How soon are you looking to buy?

I might be able to look through both yes. Looking to buy before spring bear season if I can. Next month or so.

dotman

WKR
Kowa 77 or 55 series gets my vote, call Doug at cameralandny and he’ll probably have a few good options he can discuss.

Mosby

WKR
I was going to recommend Kowa as well, dotman beat me to it.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be my pleasure to discuss different options with you. IMO, you'd be best served with a Meopta, an Athlon Cronus or a Kowa. Please give me a call to discuss it, 516-217-1000

snakelk

WKR
A used Meopta S2/Cabelas Instinct Euro. The Cabelas version is the same as the Meopta S2 but with a fixed eyepiece. As mentioned above, you can find them for $1600, sometimes less (complete scope, eyepiece included). Compared sided by side with a Razor 85mm, the Meopta wins hands down.

There's a thread in the "gear deals" about some Cabelas stores having (or had) some of these spotters in their bargain caves. Not sure how one stays on top of Bargain Cave inventory on a day-to-day basis (other than visiting the store) but it might be worth a shot.

steveptr

FNG
Any one have any experience with the Nikon Ed 82 they're only around $1600 and seam to be decent from what I've heard.

elkguide

WKR
Any one have any experience with the Nikon Ed 82 they're only around $1600 and seam to be decent from what I've heard.

Bought a used one and it does what I need. Not the glass that my Swaro binos are and definitely loses when it comes to early morning and late evening but I didn't go all out since I use my binos 98% and the spotter 2% and from that perspective a great option.

LaHunter

WKR
Are you set on the larger objective size? Should have no problem finding a 65 mm HD Swaro spotter used in excellent condition well within you budget of < $2k

OP
tbone131

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
It would be my pleasure to discuss different options with you. IMO, you'd be best served with a Meopta, an Athlon Cronus or a Kowa. Please give me a call to discuss it, 516-217-1000

Thanks Doug! I will try to give you a call this week. My concern is scope and eyepiece looks to be out of my budget.

OP
tbone131

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
No I’m not totally set on the bigger objective. Although they do let more light in which is always a plus.

Thanks everyone for the input! Keep it coming! This helps a lot