GPO passion HD 12.5x50 or Maven B2 11x45?

geriggs

WKR
If you had a choice between the 2 based on my criteria...which one?

Thinking about adding some more magnification to my swaro SLC 8xs. These two interest me the most in the 1000-1200 price range. Meoptas havent worked real well for me for some reason (maybe astigmatism.) As much as 15s sound like a good idea...im not a fan of weight and FOV. Just looking for real world experiences specifically more for the GPO. I know how much everyone likes the Mavens, but im curious about low light performance and getting an extra 1.5x mag from the GPOs if that would be worth it. Most of my hunting is glassing 1-2 miles off of a tripod with the bigger glass for sure. Thanks.

if you're already rocking 8s i'd go the 12.5x50. I haven't looked through the GPO but I've heard some good things about them.

WRO

WKR
Alpen, Zen Ray, and eagle optics all closed this year, I'd be concerned with the long term viability with regards to warranty issues with any OEM importer company that doesn't make their own glass.

Just my .02

Last edited:
OP
G

geriggs

WKR
that is a concern. thanks for the input

Alpen, Zan Ray, and eagly optics all closed this year, I'd be concerned with the long term viability with regards to warranty issues with any OEM importer company that doesn't make their own glass.

Just my .02

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
Before we get into the new inexperienced company BS. GPO in Germany is headed by Richaed Schmidt, for many years president of Zeiss Sports Optics. He has several Zeiss engineers and other support people there with him. GPO USA is headed by Mike Jensen, former marketing executive and product development man with both Swarovski and Zeiss. It is no coincidence they left when Zeiss apparently was aiming a gun at their feet. Zeiss warranty and service fired employees at the Zeuss North America service center, closed that service center, and moved it all to the Camera Division in New York. The camera techs have no experience or not much training in binoculars, so there is extreme likliehood of your Zeiss binocular being improperly repaires by a camera tech, and eventually your Zeiss will have to go to Germany. It is a good bet that neither Schmidt or Jensen thought this was a good idea and either were removed due to objection, or they decided to leave on their own. Anyway this is when GPO showed up.

GPO in their Passion HD line (I agree it could be a better name) is of build and optical quality to not be shoved around by anything you can buy, Doug is right. Ditto Maven. The only person on the planet who can answer your question is you. Both Maven and GPO are very easy to deal with. Get one of each and keep which one you like best. I have experience with the GPO 42 mm glass, and almost everything Maven has. Neither is a bad choice.

I've looked through the GPO Passions HD 12.5x50s a handful of times at the Outdoorsmans here in Phoenix in different lighting conditions. They overall are a nicely built binocular. Good feel, well balanced, didn't feel overly heavy, solid eye cups. I spent a lot of time hand holding them and had no issue with it even at that magnification. I really do think they’re an all-around binocular for people that are less sensitive to shake. Image quality seemed about where it should be for that price range. Personally I didn't think they were up there with alpha glass at low light and with the sun at a bad angle. Though admittedly it's a tough comparison since the only similar comparison in alpha glass are the top level alpha glass 12x50s from Swaro and Leica. They're not ELs, and I don't think they're trying to be either. I kind of view the Passion HDs as more of a comparison with SLCs, but Swaro doesn't make 12x50s in the SLCs so there's not a direct comparison there. Obviously Zeiss doesn't make 12x50s in any of their binoculars, and Leica doesn’t make 12x50s in this price range. I also own a pair of the Maven C.1s which I love dearly, but sadly haven’t got my hands on the B.2s for financial reasons.

I’ve also spent plenty of time reading Steve’s reviews on each line over on the bird forum. Great reviews, by the way, as usual from Steve. Regardless of all of that I think WRO’s point stands. The GPOs are great binos; there’s no denying that. But optics companies do come and go, even when well managed. I personally would not be getting rid of Swarovskis to get a pair of GPOs or Mavens at this point in time, partly because there is legitimate concern you’ll not be able to get them serviced at some point in the relatively near future. I can’t stomach that financially but some can. If you can stomach that then I think you would be happy with the GPOs. I hope to see GPO alive and well in a few years, in which case I would personally more seriously consider owning a pair.

Seriously though geriggs, how have your Swaros not sold? $1150 and no interest? Crazy. I would have thought someone would have been all over that deal by now.

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
thanks for the input. I have had some offers on the binos but i just decided to keep them if i couldnt get what i wanted for them. So i will run 8x swaros and probably some 12s for longer distance. I wish they mad a 12x SLC. I just dont know if i want to pony up the money for the 15x SLCs plus the weight. I favor the 8s over the 10s for FOV, light, and hand shake. I favor the 12s over 15xs for FOV and weight. That being said....i am still eyeing the 15 SLCs.

I've looked through the GPO Passions HD 12.5x50s a handful of times at the Outdoorsmans here in Phoenix in different lighting conditions. They overall are a nicely built binocular. Good feel, well balanced, didn't feel overly heavy, solid eye cups. I spent a lot of time hand holding them and had no issue with it even at that magnification. I really do think they’re an all-around binocular for people that are less sensitive to shake. Image quality seemed about where it should be for that price range. Personally I didn't think they were up there with alpha glass at low light and with the sun at a bad angle. Though admittedly it's a tough comparison since the only similar comparison in alpha glass are the top level alpha glass 12x50s from Swaro and Leica. They're not ELs, and I don't think they're trying to be either. I kind of view the Passion HDs as more of a comparison with SLCs, but Swaro doesn't make 12x50s in the SLCs so there's not a direct comparison there. Obviously Zeiss doesn't make 12x50s in any of their binoculars, and Leica doesn’t make 12x50s in this price range. I also own a pair of the Maven C.1s which I love dearly, but sadly haven’t got my hands on the B.2s for financial reasons.

I’ve also spent plenty of time reading Steve’s reviews on each line over on the bird forum. Great reviews, by the way, as usual from Steve. Regardless of all of that I think WRO’s point stands. The GPOs are great binos; there’s no denying that. But optics companies do come and go, even when well managed. I personally would not be getting rid of Swarovskis to get a pair of GPOs or Mavens at this point in time, partly because there is legitimate concern you’ll not be able to get them serviced at some point in the relatively near future. I can’t stomach that financially but some can. If you can stomach that then I think you would be happy with the GPOs. I hope to see GPO alive and well in a few years, in which case I would personally more seriously consider owning a pair.

Seriously though geriggs, how have your Swaros not sold? $1150 and no interest? Crazy. I would have thought someone would have been all over that deal by now.

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
changed my mind....the swaros are back up for sale in classifieds.