Swarovski BTX opinion

TravKatQ

WKR
I’m seriously thinking of saving up for the new BTX setup with the 95 objective but would like to here some feedback, pros and cons, from people who have the setup or have compared to other big glass. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I really want to have experience with the BTX. I am a big fan of the angled eyepiece, that’s really the only negative I’ve read—from guys used to straight. My only concern is giving up my zoom capability.

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
I really want to have experience with the BTX. I am a big fan of the angled eyepiece, that’s really the only negative I’ve read—from guys used to straight. My only concern is giving up my zoom capability.

Yes that’s what I’m concerned about is giving up the ability to zoom in on something. Some say your more relaxed with both eyes and see more detail that you don’t really feel like you need to but want to hear from others that have been using it for awhile. Wish I could get my hands on one to see through it...

Broomd

WKR

Also agree.
I'm a huge fan of some of the excellent fixed eyepieces out there and were it not for the excellent wide angle zooms, I'd use the fixed offerings exclusively. That said, what i have an issue with is the financial outlay for a scope with only fixed capability. There is simply no way I'd fork $4000 for a scope without the ability to 'zoom.'

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m glad my “want” is quite squelched by two college tuitions for the time being. It would be easy enough to pop the 1.7x on if necessary but who knows, in a few years they may figure out a way to zoom the BTX and then there will be a fire sale in my hunting room!

fatrascal

WKR
If I had to choose between the BTX and an eyepiece with a zoom then I'd choose zoom eyepiece. With the BTX and the 65 and 80 objectives lens you are limited to fixed 30 power and 95 is fixed on 35 power. Many times the 30 and 35 power is just too much when looking at closer stuff. And sometimes it's just not enough power to see way out there. With that being said, I really want the BTX. It would be a nice toy in my retirement years.
And I really like that 1.7 magnifier.
One more thing to think about, if you are into digits coping then a eyepiece with a zoom will have a lot more range of usability. Fatrascal.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the 95 and the 65 the optic is awesome. I am going to pick one up when they come in stock and probably just run the 85mm to get a larger field of view. It’s a hundred times easier to pick apart country with boy eyes open and you have a full field of view. No problems glassing for hours with the btx. I will have the btx for a scouting trip or two this season and also run a prominar 88 I am going to see what I like the best. I really don’t think it’s possible to bedisappointed. I feel like I will spend more time picking apart country with the btx due to the ease of glassing

I haven’t used my BTX much yet but have taken it out glassing for deer and I was floored by what this thing is capable of. The viewing detail is something I’ve never experienced before in 20 years of hunting. The time and hiking this is gonna save me is going to make the price a lot more easy to absorb but this is just my opinion. I feel like my ability to find game is definitely going to be greatly improved.
I don’t like the weight but the trade off makes this spotter just about the most important thing in my pack.

brocksw

WKR
I've compared the BTX 85 with ATX 85 directly. It is very nice to use two eyes. Much easier to glass for long periods of time...its just more comfortable.

With that being said, the ATX was noticeably brighter to me and a couple other guys who looked through it with me. The image in the single eye piece had that swaro pop and the BTX, while still a swaro(and still very good), was not as vivid and that "pop" was not there. This comparison was done on a partly cloudy day.

I couldn't justify buying/carrying an optic that I felt would not fare as well glassing in the first/last few min of light.

Keep in mind we're talking about a swaro product... So the BTX is still awesome by any standard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
I haven’t used my BTX much yet but have taken it out glassing for deer and I was floored by what this thing is capable of. The viewing detail is something I’ve never experienced before in 20 years of hunting. The time and hiking this is gonna save me is going to make the price a lot more easy to absorb but this is just my opinion. I feel like my ability to find game is definitely going to be greatly improved.
I don’t like the weight but the trade off makes this spotter just about the most important thing in my pack.

Do you feel like you’ll miss the zoom capability on the btx? I bet it’s a game changer!

Not sure what to think about the zoom, I need the extender piece for it still and I think I should be good

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
Any more want to share their experiences with the BTX eyepiece? Thanks

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
TravKatQ, I just saw this post but heading out the door right now for work so have to be quick. I have the BTX, ATX and both 95 and 85 objective as well as the magnifier. Had the 65 and did not care for it so moved it on. All have their place and are awesome depending on what I am doing. If you ever make it to Reno let me know and we can set them all up on the front porch and you can see for yourself. I live at the base of the Sierras by Cabelas in Verdi so can usually spot deer on the farthest ridges around my house. I can also add to this later this evening or feel free to call me 775 area code 722 4334. Alan

Also agree.
I'm a huge fan of some of the excellent fixed eyepieces out there and were it not for the excellent wide angle zooms, I'd use the fixed offerings exclusively. That said, what i have an issue with is the financial outlay for a scope with only fixed capability. There is simply no way I'd fork $4000 for a scope without the ability to 'zoom.'

X2....

They missed the mark when they eliminated the zoom feature. It cost them a lot of sales on that model.

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
TravKatQ, I just saw this post but heading out the door right now for work so have to be quick. I have the BTX, ATX and both 95 and 85 objective as well as the magnifier. Had the 65 and did not care for it so moved it on. All have their place and are awesome depending on what I am doing. If you ever make it to Reno let me know and we can set them all up on the front porch and you can see for yourself. I live at the base of the Sierras by Cabelas in Verdi so can usually spot deer on the farthest ridges around my house. I can also add to this later this evening or feel free to call me 775 area code 722 4334. Alan

Alan, Thanks for the offer, I might be headed that way in May so I will definitely consider your offer! Do you feel that the 85 BTX plus magnifier is a good starting point? I have heard from a few others they prefer the 85 for the wider FOV over the 95 and for what magnification you lose on the 85 do you find the 1.7 magnifier covers all your needs? Thanks, Travis

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
Travis, If I had to choose either the 85 or 95 I would take the 85. I am not sure what kind of hunting you are planning on doing but the way I use mine is if I am packing in the BTX with the 85 is in my pack but if I am road spotting with the Pioneer or King Quad I take the 95. Now you should know unless you are really starting your glassing at about 1000 yards the BTX is a little to much but like spotting Desert sheep at 5-6 miles etc the setup is totally bad ass. I also have the 15X and 12X swaro binocs and like I said they all have their place. Having said that a well know sheep hunter buddy of mine is a Swaro whore like me and he just told me after hunting 45 plus days for sheep last season he is selling his 15X's and the BTX is now part of his pack.
To me it all just depends on the terrain and how far you are glassing. I am totally biased now looking through my ATX versus the both eyes with the BTX and seldom use the ATX any more. The magnifier is pretty cool but seldom use that as well but nice to have in the pack if needed. At of all of my Swaro stuff the only thing I did not like was the 65 objective so I sold it. The Phone scope worked great on the BTX as well.

fatrascal

WKR
Out hunting, great review. Thanks. I finally got to look through a BTX today at the Twinn Falls, Idaho Sportsmans Warehouse. The guy set it up on the 65mm objective in the store for me. He did not have an 85 or 95 objective. Looked great in the store and will one day get one. I'm interested in the quality of the 1.7 multiplier. What do you think of its quality as far as clarity goes? Fatrascal

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
Travis, If I had to choose either the 85 or 95 I would take the 85. I am not sure what kind of hunting you are planning on doing but the way I use mine is if I am packing in the BTX with the 85 is in my pack but if I am road spotting with the Pioneer or King Quad I take the 95. Now you should know unless you are really starting your glassing at about 1000 yards the BTX is a little to much but like spotting Desert sheep at 5-6 miles etc the setup is totally bad ass. I also have the 15X and 12X swaro binocs and like I said they all have their place. Having said that a well know sheep hunter buddy of mine is a Swaro whore like me and he just told me after hunting 45 plus days for sheep last season he is selling his 15X's and the BTX is now part of his pack.
To me it all just depends on the terrain and how far you are glassing. I am totally biased now looking through my ATX versus the both eyes with the BTX and seldom use the ATX any more. The magnifier is pretty cool but seldom use that as well but nice to have in the pack if needed. At of all of my Swaro stuff the only thing I did not like was the 65 objective so I sold it. The Phone scope worked great on the BTX as well.

Thanks for the explanation Alan. I’m leaning more towards the 85 as I will be packing with it a little to get it vantage points in some rough areas. The areas I hunt stem from here in central coast CA where there’s big nasty canyons to AZ desert where I spend a lot of time in Dec and Jan. I think this BTX will be a game changer. And yes like you I too run 12s and 15s and they all have their place. Now it’s just crunching my nickels and dimes to save for them haha.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Fatrascal, Swaro quality of course. I don't use it often but it is nice to have. Like all 50 power magnifications when conditions are good it just blows you away especially with when looking through both eyes compared any single eye viewer. Of course when its hot and there are heat waves it relative. I see you are in Spring Creek and I will extend the offer to you as well if you ever make it to Reno come over and put some time behind my set up off my front porch.
It has been a long time since I have put pics on here but if I can figure it out I will try to post some pics with and without the magnifier this weekend.