How long to upgrade top end glass?

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
One Thing I didn't see mentioned Is that the alfa glass holds its value real well. So if you ever want to upgrade you can Sell them to recoup most of your investment To help cover the purchase of new glass.

Richard

One Thing I didn't see mentioned Is that the alfa glass holds its value real well. So if you ever want to upgrade you can Sell them to recoup most of your investment To help cover the purchase of new glass.

Richard

Well said.

goat1958

FNG
Good optics like Swaro Leica, Zeiss is kinda like comparing Snap On tools to Sears Craftsman...yes I know you can fix your car with craftmans tools.. Walk thru A professional automotive service shop or dealership and 95 % of the mechanics will not have Sears tools. I would venture to say that most but not all Outfitters and hunting guides who do it for a living $$ will have high end optics.

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always been a Nikon Monarch Gold fan but now a Leica ERi convert even before the changes in the Leica line. I’m almost afraid to look at the Magnus line.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm on the verge of ordering SLCs in 10x42 (or, my wife is for me, as a graduation/anniversary/father's day gift). Obviously, it's a big purchase that can't be taken lightly. For those who have had top end glass for a while, how long have you owned a pair before "needing" or wanting to upgrade it, and for what reasons? Ie, if I buy an set of 10x42 now, should I expect to have/want to upgrade in 5, 10, etc. years? I'm really looking for a set that would last 20+ years. I'm unsure if that's reasonable or not.

My alternate idea was to buy something mid-range (Leupold BX4) and figure on upgrading sometime in the distant future. Bonus is that Leupold offers the MIL/LE program and their Gold Ring items are made in the states. Through their MIL/LE program I can get BX4s, GR 20-40x spotter, and VX5 scope for a little more than one set of SLCs. Yes, I understand Leupold is not "alpha," however I don't want to drop $1800 on SLCs and in less than ten years be wanting/needing to upgrade.

Intended use is primarily hunting, although I can see carrying them if/while standing deck watch in the Navy (our standard issue porro-prism clunkers are garbage). I'm not a sheep hunter. Deer and elk are my primary targets.

If you upgraded from one configuration to another (e.g. 10x42 to 10x50), I'd still appreciate your answer just please state that the reason you upgraded was (or was not) because of product configuration.

Thanks,

Joe

I talk with people very often saying they have had there Swarovski for 15+ years. I know it may suck at the moment to buy but they are a lifetime investment. The SLC 10x42 are great bino specially for the price they come at. You'll be able to pass them on to your kids once you're ready to upgrade. Also you will have the best glass money can buy. If you're trying tp save money use ROK10 for 10% on a pair

I talk with people very often saying they have had there Swarovski for 15+ years. I know it may suck at the moment to buy but they are a lifetime investment. The SLC 10x42 are great bino specially for the price they come at. You'll be able to pass them on to your kids once you're ready to upgrade. Also you will have the best glass money can buy. If you're trying tp save money use ROK10 for 10% on a pair

The wife and I have had our Swarovski EL10x42’s since 2000, I replaced the rubber eye cups about 5 years ago and just sent them back to Swarovski for a cleaning and tune up. Best outdoors investment I’ve ever made.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR

Yep, I settled on this a couple weeks ago - you've got the best price I can find. You'll be seeing an order n the next two weeks!

Leica Trinovids for over 20 years. I’ve NEVER felt under glassed. Buy good glass on the front end. It is an investment in the quality of your time outdoors. Mine have been with me from Alaska to Florida to Montana and Utah.

eamyrick

WKR
Good info here. After looking through 5-6 different brands I went ahead and ordered a pair of Swaro 10x42 SLCs. For my eye, the difference was readily apparent and a bomber warranty sold me. Of course I had to toss a Swaro 4-12x50 in the shopping cart also. Some long nights of overtime ahead but I feel like I can pass both of the pieces down to my boys.

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
They were ordered from 1 Shot this weekend and shipped today. Excited to get them!

Davebuech

WKR
This is some great glass, you won't be disappointed. I up-powered from my 7x42 SLCs about a month ago. Got mine from another of our Sponsors here with a 10% discount. The 10x hits a sweet spot for me. Enjoy!

They were ordered from 1 Shot this weekend and shipped today. Excited to get them!

The wife and I have had our Swarovski EL10x42’s since 2000, I replaced the rubber eye cups about 5 years ago and just sent them back to Swarovski for a cleaning and tune up. Best outdoors investment I’ve ever made.

Mike

Just to follow up, got my Swarovski 10x42 ELs back from Swarovski today,these were purchased in 2000 and this is the first time back. They replaced the eye cups, prisms, and armor coating, cleaned inside and out, replaced the focus mechanism, aligned the binocs and sent them back. All done with no charge, you can’t beat that, they are like new!

Mike

ianpadron

WKR
Meopta Meostar HD. Only bino I've looked through that were noticeably better was a pair of my buddies Swaro ELs. 40% off for MIL/LE will put you at about $700 for a bino that will go toe to toe with anything on the market.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk